• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton expects to play in 2017

I'm calling BS on this one. Texas will release him and he will get paid in full by the Rangers and Angels for not playing in 2017. What's the incentive for him to show up in 2017 if he's already getting paid and he can't double dip? This is a PR move by the Rangers ( they know he's done ) that allows Hamilton to say his knee just isn't responding so he'll unfortunately have to retire. 

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

I'm calling BS on this one. Texas will release him and he will get paid in full by the Rangers and Angels for not playing in 2017. What's the incentive for him to show up in 2017 if he's already getting paid and he can't double dip? This is a PR move by the Rangers ( they know he's done ) that allows Hamilton to say his knee just isn't responding so he'll unfortunately have to retire. 

yep.

stay tuned for the setback 

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

He can't retire. He will have to be DFAd, and if no one picks him up, he can go to the beach, play golf or whatever, but he can't officially retire and still get paid.

Would be nice to see him fully recover put his demons behind him and play well again somewhere. His story was truly kind of inspiring, it was his own doing but what he came back from not many people ever do. But it's very unlikely he ever gets back to Josh Hamilton who was a beast on the field. 

2 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker said:

He can't retire. He will have to be DFAd, and if no one picks him up, he can go to the beach, play golf or whatever, but he can't officially retire and still get paid.

Well no one will pick him up after the Rangers release him so essentially he will officially retire after 2017 but still receive his full pay.

21 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well no one will pick him up after the Rangers release him so essentially he will officially retire after 2017 but still receive his full pay.

I think the Angels can pick him up and since he is already on their payroll it would be a nice twist that the Rangers would have to pay two million for him to play elsewhere. 

I have a serious question (please suspend your snark):

If he is DFA'd off the 40-man and then clears waivers, can any team pick him up for the major league minimum?  And does that then reduce the Angels' liability?

So if he's owed roughly $26 million by the Angels next year and $2 million by the Rangers next year, if he gets DFA'd and signed by the A's, for example, do the A's pay the minimum $500K or whatever, then the Rangers still pay $2 million, and the Angels then pay $25.5 million instead of $26 million?

It is astonishing to me that Arte Moreno's move here essentially reduced the Angels' liability from $80.2 million to $62.5 million and may turn out to be very smart (the inanity of the original signing notwithstanding).  At the time we all lambasted the trade to the Rangers as being done in a fit of pique and essentially giving Hamilton away for free.  But it turns out in retrospect this will be a very good move from the Angels' perspective, and it's the Rangers who might end up regretting the move.