• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2016-2017 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

On 7/12/2016 at 1:18 PM, gotbeer said:

The thing though is.  With these Bridge deals being so high.  As someone stated before, there could be a lockout.  And if there is, that could absolutely destroy both the cap and floor. 

I think they could be fine cause they'll lose some salary from expansion draft along with prospects replacing Bieksa & stoner with Montour/Larsson. One of those overpaid guys will be moved this off season, another one will likely be traded/bought-out after the season like Bieksa. You keep Despres simply to meet expansion draft rules of leaving one D unprotected that played 40 games & is under contract.

Then in 2017-18 Larsson & Montour will be full time NHLers, the game keeps becoming more about speed & less about muscle(Despres, Bieksa, Stoner types). Larsson/Montour 3rd pairing is something that might work in 2017-18 season.

To stay cost effective they have to buyout Bieksa or he waives his NMC so they can protect Manson along with Vats/Lind. The money they would owe Bieksa after buying him out is like if they gave Manson a raise vs losing Manson & keep paying a 36 yearold Bieksa.

They may lose Cogliano in the expansion draft, that would probably be the best player left unprotected unless Despres has a big turn around, they would save some $$$ if that happens.

Heres whats probably happening in the Fowler trade talks since it seems other teams don't want to offer anything good:

Boston: I'll give you Krejci for Fowler & a bucket of new england clam chowder.

Anaheim: Krejci is already 30 & a RH shot, No thanks. But I'll trade u fish tacos for that clam chowder.

Buffalo: I'll give you a choice between Ennis or Kane for Fowler plus a bucket of buffalo wings.

Anaheim: Ennis is too small & I need more than that if u want Fowler. Kane is a locker room cancer, so no way to Kane & I already had too many wings tonight.

Detroit: I'll give you Tatar & some Little Caesar's pizza.

Anaheim: Just Tatar & a 5dollar pizza ? Who the heck u think I am ? Arizona's GM ? & even California makes better Pizza than that, like Z-Pizza for example.

Edmonton: I'll give you Yakupov for Fowler & a cup of Tim Horton's Coffee. Sorry its the best I can do.

Anaheim: just not enough value at all for Fowler & what if Yakupov suddenly wants to go to the KHL ? No thanks.

Anaheim: hey Buffalo, how about Girgesons & Ennis for Fowler & maybe something else ?  I'll throw in some Inn N out burgers & cheesy fries too.

Buffalo: ummmmm. I'll get back to you on that.....

13 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

I think they could be fine cause they'll lose some salary from expansion draft along with prospects replacing Bieksa & stoner with Montour/Larsson. One of those overpaid guys will be moved this off season, another one will likely be traded/bought-out after the season like Bieksa. You keep Despres simply to meet expansion draft rules of leaving one D unprotected that played 40 games & is under contract.

Then in 2017-18 Larsson & Montour will be full time NHLers, the game keeps becoming more about speed & less about muscle(Despres, Bieksa, Stoner types). Larsson/Montour 3rd pairing is something that might work in 2017-18 season.

To stay cost effective they have to buyout Bieksa or he waives his NMC so they can protect Manson along with Vats/Lind. The money they would owe Bieksa after buying him out is like if they gave Manson a raise vs losing Manson & keep paying a 36 yearold Bieksa.

They may lose Cogliano in the expansion draft, that would probably be the best player left unprotected unless Despres has a big turn around, they would save some $$$ if that happens.

they won't lose cogs.

if we still have him he'll be protected, plus whatever winger we get for fowler:

it will be 7+3+1

7 forwards: getz, perry, kesler, rakell, silf, cogs, FOWLER_TRADE

3 d: lindholm, vatanen, manson

1 d: gibson

so we are likely at this point to lose despres. which if he doesnt improve, is fine. but if he gets back to being pre-concussion form, they will have to figure out what they want to do. 

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

they won't lose cogs.

if we still have him he'll be protected, plus whatever winger we get for fowler:

it will be 7+3+1

7 forwards: getz, perry, kesler, rakell, silf, cogs, FOWLER_TRADE

3 d: lindholm, vatanen, manson

1 d: gibson

so we are likely at this point to lose despres. which if he doesnt improve, is fine. but if he gets back to being pre-concussion form, they will have to figure out what they want to do. 

But they have to leave unprotected 2 forwards that each played 40 games the previous season along with certain amount of salary exposed so they likely have to leave him unprotected.

26 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

But they have to leave unprotected 2 forwards that each played 40 games the previous season along with certain amount of salary exposed so they likely have to leave him unprotected.

right. it has to be 40 this upcoming season, or 70 last+upcoming. from nhl.com:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

so i guess it depends on who we have on the roster at that point. but right now they can leave boll and wagner available. plus whomever else they add next offseason (garbutt, thompson and raymond's contracts all expire after this year, so we'll need more forwards anyway)

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

right. it has to be 40 this upcoming season, or 70 last+upcoming. from nhl.com:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

so i guess it depends on who we have on the roster at that point. but right now they can leave boll and wagner available. plus whomever else they add next offseason (garbutt, thompson and raymond's contracts all expire after this year, so we'll need more forwards anyway)

Hopefully Boll & Wagner play at least 40 games, if Cogs doesn't play well & Despres does rebound, they leave both unprotected & trade the one Vegas doesn't take.

If Raymond makes the team & his chemistry reunited with Kesler is great then they could probably trade Cogs to lose more salary. The past chemistry with Kesler/Raymond is why I think they signed him over other budget guys.

They could make year 1 of Lind/Rakell new contract be lower so they have cap room this year & then leave Despres unprotected & buyout Bieksa after the seasoon.

Which scenario is worse:

Ducks trade Fowler for Tatar & 3rd round pick.

Or Ducks keep Fowler & lose Manson in expansion draft for nothing (assuming they buyout or move Bieksa) followed by losing Fowler when he becomes UFA as they will need to give Theodore RFA money by then & I predict he'll get alot when he's a RFA.

What if Detroit & Buffalo are holding out from higher offers because they know the Ducks don't want to lose Manson for nothing when Expansion draft comes along & the Ducks are holding out because they know Detroit & Buffalo really want Fowler ?

2 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Which scenario is worse:

Ducks trade Fowler for Tatar & 3rd round pick.

Or Ducks keep Fowler & lose Manson in expansion draft for nothing (assuming they buyout or move Bieksa) followed by losing Fowler when he becomes UFA as they will need to give Theodore RFA money by then & I predict he'll get alot when he's a RFA.

What if Detroit & Buffalo are holding out from higher offers because they know the Ducks don't want to lose Manson for nothing when Expansion draft comes along & the Ducks are holding out because they know Detroit & Buffalo really want Fowler ?

I guess I'm just not as high on Manson as the rest of you.  The 3 you'd protect is Vatanen and Lindholm for sure.  Not sure if Bieska will waive his NMC.  Theo and the guys at San Diego, you shouldn't need to protect.  But we still haven't heard definitively what 2 years of professional experience really means.  It may end up we need to protect Theo. 

But when push comes to shove.  If you have Fowler, Manson, or Depres available.  I'm not sure LV doesn't pick Depres.  Oddly, all 3 are 24 years old right now.  Fowler only has a year left on his contract till FA'cy.  But Depres will have 4 years left at a $3.75ish (going on memory) hit.  On a new team, I can see him as a top 4 Dman.  On the Ducks, I don't know if he is even top 6 ATM.  But a lot can change with trades

25 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I guess I'm just not as high on Manson as the rest of you.  The 3 you'd protect is Vatanen and Lindholm for sure.  Not sure if Bieska will waive his NMC.  Theo and the guys at San Diego, you shouldn't need to protect.  But we still haven't heard definitively what 2 years of professional experience really means.  It may end up we need to protect Theo. 

But when push comes to shove.  If you have Fowler, Manson, or Depres available.  I'm not sure LV doesn't pick Depres.  Oddly, all 3 are 24 years old right now.  Fowler only has a year left on his contract till FA'cy.  But Depres will have 4 years left at a $3.75ish (going on memory) hit.  On a new team, I can see him as a top 4 Dman.  On the Ducks, I don't know if he is even top 6 ATM.  But a lot can change with trades

Likely either way they will lose Fowler when he's an UFA or traded. With moving Fowler for Tatar + draft pick they get something instead of watching him leave as a UFA. By the time he's a UFA or before, Theodore will need to be given a new contract & he's likely a better player than Fowler by then. I hope we get to see Lind/Vats/Theo winning Cups for the Ducks like the Hawks top3 D-men did.

fowler is arguably the best skating defenseman in the league, no way las vegas would choose despres over him if they were both available. players like him are the hardest asset to acquire in hockey, we just happen to have an abundance of such assets.

but yeah, you can only protect 3, so if you don't see being able to fit all the big 3 D (lindholm, vatanen, fowler) in for the long term, then something has to give or you'll lose one in the expansion draft for nothing. trade fowler (i think we get even more than tatar+3rd, i hope it's more tatar+aa/mantha but who knows. i mean hell larsson got f*cking hall who is a superstar and larsson is good but nothing great), protect tatar, expose despres unless he lights it up this year. 

but dont underestimate manson. the lindolm/manson pair was one of the best in the entire league this year. the org loves manson (it's dave manson's kid), he's got a great head on his shoulders, is young, cheap, does his job, great in the locker room, etc. if despres can't get back to his pre-concussion self you expose him and extend manson.

I read that Bernier needs to start half of our playoff games too in order for us to have to send Toronto our pick so we could still win the cup and Toronto would get nothing. I have never seen a trade like this.  The Ducks fan base just quadrupled since all of Toronto is hoping the ducks win the cup with Bernier starting over Gibson.

Ducks Re-Sign Stefan Noesen

Two things stand out from the article.  One, man, we just took the Senators to the cleaners.  Ryan for Noesen, Ritchie, and Silverberg.  Two, notice how they phrase his service time. 

Noesen is coming off his second full pro campaign

Again, with the wording on the expansion draft, they said those eligible were over 2 year pros.  Not 2 year NHL experience.  This would mean there is a possibility that guys like Theodore would need to be protected.  And if that's the case, man, the Ducks may lose someone really good.