• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2016-2017 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

Life with a salary cap. You cast your lot with 3 or 4 higher priced players and they either show up in big games or you go home. 

I thought we were positioned pretty well with a balanced attack last season, but it didn't get us anywhere. I wonder if injuries (especially Rakell) hadn't taken a toll, if it would have worked.

7 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Life with a salary cap. You cast your lot with 3 or 4 higher priced players and they either show up in big games or you go home. 

I thought we were positioned pretty well with a balanced attack last season, but it didn't get us anywhere. I wonder if injuries (especially Rakell) hadn't taken a toll, if it would have worked.

or if Nashville made that Subban trade a year earlier. In playoff mode Weber just kills the Ducks.

I'm still not over the 2011 series. Glad that Weber is in the East finally though.

10 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Cough cough.  Corey Perry.

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Cough cough.  Corey Perry.

My wife gives me crap because she thinks I don't appreciate how good Perry and Getzlaf are. It's not true though. I do appreciate their talents. It's just that they're taking up the two 9M slots and when the biggest games of the season roll around, they're not the guys I want in those slots.

7th game; tied score; two minutes left; Perry, Getzlaf, Toews, Doughty - Pick two. I don't pick Perry or Getzlaf.

3 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, me too. I don't know what it is about Weber and Rinne, But our teams usually haven't fit well against them. 

Well, except for the year before when Rinne was hurt and we seemed to own them for a while

Montreal fans says Nashville will get 30 goals & 60 assists from Subban this year though lol.

Alot of teams back east are going to hate facing Montreal in the playoffs lol.

1 minute ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Montreal fans says Nashville will get 30 goals & 60 assists from Subban this year though lol.

Alot of teams back east are going to hate facing Montreal in the playoffs lol.

And even if they did get that, I would be less concerned as a Ducks fan playing them in the playoffs next year. 

9 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

And even if they did get that, I would be less concerned as a Ducks fan playing them in the playoffs next year. 

:) because our guys will be in their defensive zone forchecking & scoring one timers against Rinne & when Subban trys to be too creative he'll turn it over & Kesler/Silf get a breakaway & score on Rinne.

I read that Nashville is still on the hook for the alot cap hit from the Weber contract despite the trade depending on when Weber retires. Something to do with a penalty to longer term contracts that try to exploit the cap, so if he retires early stays the cap hit is with the original team despite a trade. Heard its something like a 24 million cap hit lol.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

:) because our guys will be in their defensive zone forchecking & scoring one timers against Rinne & when Subban trys to be too creative he'll turn it over & Kesler/Silf get a breakaway & score on Rinne.

I read that Nashville is still on the hook for the alot cap hit from the Weber contract despite the trade depending on when Weber retires. Something to do with a penalty to longer term contracts that try to exploit the cap, so if he retires early stays the cap hit is with the original team despite a trade. Heard its something like a 24 million cap hit lol.

Yeah, this is the only reason Montreal did the deal.

Ducks sign D-Man Nate Guenin to a contract. SD depth or the new 7th D-man if they trade one or more of Bieksa/Stoner/Despres ?

If Despres rebounds he is still being paid a lot to be the 4th defenseman or 5th cause of Bieksa. Moving him frees up a lot of salary. Stoners contract has not much left on it. Bieksa can be bought out after the season if unable to trade him or get him to waive his NMC.

I don't think any Duck fan can reasonably feel good about how this offseason is shaping up for us.  Most of the good FA are signed, we have failed to retain any of our guys. (I guess there's still a chance we keep Pirri) for some reason our RFA are also not dealt with and none of the D depth has been traded for needs.  Our one move is a guy that should not be an everyday NHL player.  At this point it really seems like if things were going well a lot more would be going on for the Ducks.  No other team has been as inactive. 

Im really looking forward to watching Ducks fans (the blogs) pretend Chris Wagner is a good player.  At this point, it looks like players of his ilk will be significant parts of the roster.   The Ducks have holes all over the roster and it looks awful. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don't think any Duck fan can reasonably feel good about how this offseason is shaping up for us.  Most of the good FA are signed, we have failed to retain any of our guys. (I guess there's still a chance we keep Pirri) for some reason our RFA are also not dealt with and none of the D depth has been traded for needs.  Our one move is a guy that should not be an everyday NHL player.  At this point it really seems like if things were going well a lot more would be going on for the Ducks.  No other team has been as inactive. 

Im really looking forward to watching Ducks fans (the blogs) pretend Chris Wagner is a good player.  At this point, it looks like players of his ilk will be significant parts of the roster.   The Ducks have holes all over the roster and it looks awful. 

I don't think the roster looks awful.  Our D is rock solid.  Our offense has openings at the two wings.  But a good trade can change the looks of the offense considerably. 

6 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Ducks sign D-Man Nate Guenin to a contract. SD depth or the new 7th D-man if they trade one or more of Bieksa/Stoner/Despres ?

If Despres rebounds he is still being paid a lot to be the 4th defenseman or 5th cause of Bieksa. Moving him frees up a lot of salary. Stoners contract has not much left on it. Bieksa can be bought out after the season if unable to trade him or get him to waive his NMC.

Also have to take into consideration next years expansion draft.  Stoner is good just to keep to expose.  But again, I thought his D was much improved and consistent last year.  Depres vs Stoner vs Fowler trade value, Depres might have the most value.  5 years, at $3.87 million.  Is a lot of control at a reasonable rate.  Would be a lot more reasonable for the ducks, but the expansion draft is we can only protect 3 D men.  Now we could go the Vatannen/Lindholm/Depres as the protecton.  But to get the winger we need, Depres might get us the best value.  I really think that if Fowler would have gotten us the winger, we would have already made the trade. 

32 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I don't think the roster looks awful.  Our D is rock solid.  Our offense has openings at the two wings.  But a good trade can change the looks of the offense considerably. 

I mean maybe a trade happens and fixes teh issue, but like I said, at this point it seems like something should have happened.  Presumably we've been trying to trade one of the D men for some time now.  Maybe the market for a guy like Fowler is not what we were hoping it would be.  I had said previously that we don't need to trade him.  That was presuming that if we didn't we did something in FA.  That ship seems to have sailed now.  

The problem is that we're trying to fill very important top line positions.  These are big mins that good players need to be skating.  So you are right maybe a trade happens and we can laugh at my freaking out later on, but right now the Ducks look significantly weaker then they have in years.   Very, very disappointing. 

Also, as far the D.  If Depres bounces back, then we should be fine.  If he doesn't the D is mobile but pretty soft.  I don't think we should have much faith in the abilities of Stoner and Bieksa.  Tho, as u say the D isn't really our problem. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

34 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I wish this was the reason of them not signing anyone of value: Murray had too much Crown Royal Whiskey on Canada Day holiday July 1st & was unable to sign free agents for the Ducks.

His inaction on getting Lindholm/Rakell signed is troubling.

Even the Carolina Hurricanes would have signed them both by now.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Also, as far the D.  If Depres bounces back, then we should be fine.  If he doesn't the D is mobile but pretty soft.  I don't think we should have much faith in the abilities of Stoner and Bieksa.  Tho, as u say the D isn't really our problem. 

I guess I'm a lot more skeptical on Depres than most of you.  The fact is, 2 concussions in one season is not a good sign.  Concussion is one injury that never goes away.  And if we need him to be a physical force, then again, concussion and physical just don't mix.  After he came back from the concussion and even more so after he came back from the second one, he seemed to play soft.  Like a person that didn't want to get a third.  Again, just my take on it, and the reason that if we can trade him for something of value, I think we have to do it.

Things have to change in hockey due to salary caps. GM's are adjusting. But, a lot of them are still over paying. This means if your going to compete as a GM you have to over pay some too. This leads to bad value contracts. Too many of those and it makes it hard to renew guys at the going rate.

It seems this is where Murray see's the Duck's right now. He has a number of contracts that aren't terrible. But, the millions add up. He has to sign Lindholm and Rakell. And he probably has to over pay them. Then he also has to add players.

Think about the Vatanen contract. He may turn out to be worth it. But, I don't think he's worth it right now. There appears to be a lot of projection in there. The problem is, there's not enough projection on the downside. Maybe he doesn't progress that much. Maybe he doesn't compete as hard now that he has it made. Maybe with his size, the injuries add up quicker and his productivity suffers. Maybe he gets hurt bad and becomes a bust.

A lot of downside that's not factored in. Which leads to the probability that his contract becomes another one that will limit the Ducks ability to put a championship caliber team on the ice with the money they'll have available.

And then the Ducks won't spend to the cap. So, it becomes even worse.

29 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I guess I'm a lot more skeptical on Depres than most of you.  The fact is, 2 concussions in one season is not a good sign.  Concussion is one injury that never goes away.  And if we need him to be a physical force, then again, concussion and physical just don't mix.  After he came back from the concussion and even more so after he came back from the second one, he seemed to play soft.  Like a person that didn't want to get a third.  Again, just my take on it, and the reason that if we can trade him for something of value, I think we have to do it.

They can't seem too eager to move him or it sends red flag to other teams, they need to act like they don't want to move him & maybe another GM will bite & see how low they can get him for.

11 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

They can't seem too eager to move him or it sends red flag to other teams, they need to act like they don't want to move him & maybe another GM will bite & see how low they can get him for.

That's why I thought of the mistakes made in the offseason.  The biggest was trading Andersen and not coupling Depres with him.  It would have changed the entire start of FA'cy for the Ducks if that happened.

11 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

That's why I thought of the mistakes made in the offseason.  The biggest was trading Andersen and not coupling Depres with him.  It would have changed the entire start of FA'cy for the Ducks if that happened.

I was hoping for that too or them sending Fowler + Despres to Edmonton for Hall.

Looking at FA thats left, they could sign Tanguay & Vrbata to play with Getzlaf then have one of Ritchie or Garbutt with Rak/Perry.

At this point them sending Fowler for Nuge would be adding 2mil but they'd be spending 2mil in FA anyways.

Some rumors going around: Fowler for Landeskog, Fowler for Krecj & the same old Sabres rumor about Fowler.

I like the Landeskog idea but they need to add something to make the trade work for Colorado.

1st line of Landeskog/Getzlaf/FA(someone really cheap like Vrbata) ?