• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"I was a dumbass, I was straight stupid." - Barry Bonds

7 minutes ago, RallyPanda said:

Gee, ya don't say Barry? Is someone attempting to do damage control to garner some positive PR in hopes of sneaking into the HOF?

Sure sounds like it. He's dusting off the knee pads

Barry seems to be doing pretty well as hitting coach, 3 players have an OPS over 900 that haven't come close to that in the past, and none of them are named Giancarlo. Only one of them hit an .802 OPS before one time.

Two more have an OPS over 800.

Team wise they are ranked in the bottom third as far as runs scored go, not sure how with the big hitters they seemingly have.

56 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

But wouldn't that reset the HOF clock? 

Exactly why he'd do it. 

Also gets to end on his terms and on a better note, and gives him an opportunity to prove all his talent wasn't the doing of steroids. Improve his image for HOF voters (as well as resetting his clock) and gives him the chance for a second life in baseball as a coach. He looks like he's in great shape and the article goes to great lengths to explain how much he's training and getting fit. There was also the article in spring training about him launching bombs during batting practice. Fish also didn't cut their previous coach.

The hitting coach job was a way for him to ease back in without it being an obvious PR attempt by going right back into the game. If any owner would try this, it'd be Loria. 

Also gives him a chance to add to his HR total.

Barry was the best player of the 90s before he started taking steroids in 1998/99. Take a look.

Or for the linkophobic, here are the top five players by WAR from 1990-98:

1. Bonds 78.0

2. Griffey 61.1

3. Frank Tomas 51.7

4. Jeff Bagwell 49.1

5. Biggio 46.4

To put that another way, the second best player, Ken Griffey Jr, was 18% better than everyone else. Bonds was 28% better than Griffey.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Barry was the best player of the 90s before he started taking steroids in 1998/99. Take a look.

Everyone always says Bonds wasn't taking PED's in the 90's and it gets repeated as the gospel.

I'd like to know how anyone besides Bonds himself would know this for a fact.

He may or may not have been juiced then, but I'm suspicious of that entire generation of players including Griffey Jr. Just as I'm suspicious we are not in the post PED era now.

As far as Bonds being a giant jerk goes, that alone shouldn't keep him out of the HOF. It's the drug use that should disqualify him or anyone else. I realize that not everyone got caught and that users are going to wind up in the HOF because they weren't busted but that's how life is.

58 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Or for the linkophobic, here are the top five players by WAR from 1990-98:

1. Bonds 78.0

2. Griffey 61.1

3. Frank Tomas 51.7

4. Jeff Bagwell 49.1

5. Biggio 46.4

To put that another way, the second best player, Ken Griffey Jr, was 18% better than everyone else. Bonds was 28% better than Griffey.

what day did he start taking steroids ?

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The clear and the cream...that is all a lot of people will remember about Barroids' career. 

A shame, because he was one helluva player while with Pittsburgh, pre-clear/cream.

Agreed. Hes a prick, but i honestly cant say hes any worse than anyone else in that era.

Gear or no gear, he was still one of the best hitters if all time.

55 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Everyone always says Bonds wasn't taking PED's in the 90's and it gets repeated as the gospel.

I'd like to know how anyone besides Bonds himself would know this for a fact.

He may or may not have been juiced then, but I'm suspicious of that entire generation of players including Griffey Jr. Just as I'm suspicious we are not in the post PED era now.

As far as Bonds being a giant jerk goes, that alone shouldn't keep him out of the HOF. It's the drug use that should disqualify him or anyone else. I realize that not everyone got caught and that users are going to wind up in the HOF because they weren't busted but that's how life is.

How else did ungodly HR totals get put up from 1994 into the 2000s?

3 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

But wouldn't that reset the HOF clock? 

yes

that's what he's doing! he gets a few September at-bats and by the time he's on the ballot again, maybe the HOF voters ease up on him.

is that allowed? like if you're close to be taken off the ballot? 

Edited by Lou