• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

A

Sanger with another good game.  3-4, bb and double.  

A+

Garrett Nuss  - First outing of the season.  4ip, 4h, 1er, 3bb, 5k.  He's had some trouble getting to the next level.  Hopefully he can get it going.  

AA

Towey 2-4, hr, rbi, bb

Daniel 2-4, double

Way 1-3

Alcantara 5ip, 5h, 2er, 1bb, 4k.  

On 6/5/2016 at 10:09 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Despite an awful first few weeks in AAA, Sherman Johnson has picked it up of late. His slash line for the year sits now at .280/.358/.518 ... He has more HR (8) than Cowart, Cunningham and Kubitza combined, all of whom have played 2+ months in the hitter friendly PCL. 

Meanwhile, Cowart continues to hit above .300, get on base and play incredible defense at SS. 

I wonder why they're playing him there a lot recently, especially with Simmons coming back in a week (starts a rehab tomorrow). 

Could the Angels seriously have found an adequate replacement at SS defensively in Cowart who scouts are raving about with the glove? Maybe they're preparing themselves to sell at the deadline in case we're out of it?!?! Just a thought. I'd like to see Cowart get some chances in LF, which is a big black hole for this team. 

It might be a good idea to trade Simmons for players of need and give Cowart a shot.  How good of defense is he playing at short?

Jordan Kipper with another nice outing.  7ip, 2h, 0er, 1h, 5k.  10 ground balls and 2 fly outs.  Just a reminder, Kipper was a 9th round pick in 2014 out of TCU.  He's a sinker baller with good control.  88-94 with a solid slider and developing curve and change.  He's a ground ball machine with a near 2:1 GO/AO ratio.  So it makes sense that he would see some improvement with a more mature defense behind him.  He could use a little more swing and miss in his game.  Maybe Scotty can comment on this, but if his sinker is running up at that velocity, I wonder if he's worked on a 4 seam with some additional velo.  I also think that the goal for a lot of the AA guys is to have them pitch to contact.  Has a solid chance of being a back of the rotation guy and if thing go right with his development, he could end up somewhere in the middle but again, that is likely contingent on his ability to miss some bats going forward.  

Another name I just came across is Alexis Rivera.  A former KC farmhand that was recently picked up by the halos.  Not sure how that came about, but he had a strong 2015.  He's 22 at burlington.  As a 21 yo, he pounded the ball in KC's rookie league but struggled in A ball.  Anyway, maybe a watch and wait candidate.  

Jose Rodriguez for the Burlington Bees is still doin it.  Tonight he went 5ip, 3h, 1er, 1bb, 5 so.  3.24 era for the season.  

Alexis Rivera 2-4, 2b.  Hitting .345.  I mentioned in the previous post that he is 22, but not till mid june.  

The SLC bees got 2 hit.  Both of which came off the bat of Juan Graterol.  simmons went 0-4.  Lincecum was real sharp with 7ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 8k.   Time to get these guys up here .  

• Chuck pinned this topic

DSL

Leon Rivas - .409/1.064, 4bb/3so.  .776ops as a 17yo last year with a .401obp.  

A+

Ward 2-5. .231, .551ops on the year.  

AA

Yarbrough 3-4, double.  .263 at AA.  

AAA

Nava 2-4

Ortega 2-5, 2 rbi

Cal Towey 2-4

Johnson 1-2, 2bb.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

DSL

Leon Rivas - .409/1.064, 4bb/3so.  .776ops as a 17yo last year with a .401obp.  

A+

Ward 2-5. .231, .551ops on the year.  

AA

Yarbrough 3-4, double.  .263 at AA.  

AAA

Nava 2-4

Ortega 2-5, 2 rbi

Cal Towey 2-4

Johnson 1-2, 2bb.  

Two stolen bases for Sherm too!

On June 9, 2016 at 0:45 AM, Dochalo said:

Jordan Kipper with another nice outing.  7ip, 2h, 0er, 1h, 5k.  10 ground balls and 2 fly outs.  Just a reminder, Kipper was a 9th round pick in 2014 out of TCU.  He's a sinker baller with good control.  88-94 with a solid slider and developing curve and change.  He's a ground ball machine with a near 2:1 GO/AO ratio.  So it makes sense that he would see some improvement with a more mature defense behind him.  He could use a little more swing and miss in his game.  Maybe Scotty can comment on this, but if his sinker is running up at that velocity, I wonder if he's worked on a 4 seam with some additional velo.  I also think that the goal for a lot of the AA guys is to have them pitch to contact.  Has a solid chance of being a back of the rotation guy and if thing go right with his development, he could end up somewhere in the middle but again, that is likely contingent on his ability to miss some bats going forward.  

Kipper being a sinker baller is actually a relatively new development. His fastball in college hovered 91-94, and his two seamer was unpredictable. He offered a worlkable change and slider. I think the Angels must've worked on this and his two-seamer naturally morphed into a sinker. I like skipper a whole bunch, but I'm leery of contact pitchers with success in the minors. The same approach in the majors results in harder hit balls. He has to be able to keep hitters off balance with that change up and occasionally mix in that four seamer, as long as it carries +3 velo. If he does that, then I think he'll find major league success.

On June 9, 2016 at 0:49 AM, Dochalo said:

Gatto had a decent outing today as well with 5ip, 6h, 2er, 0bb, 7k.  But his era is still around 7 for the season even with that.  Soon to be 21 in a few days, hopefully he can start being more consistent and find the strike zone on a regular basis.  

Gatto's issue is the same it's always been, he leaves the ball up in the zone. This has been happening ever since he played competitively in high school (area code games, etc). Hitters can pick the ball up super early off him, and while the velocity, curve and stamina are all nice, early pitch recognition and missing up leads to bring hit hard. That was Richards issue in college and all the way through Burlington. Hopefully Gatto learned the same and adds a bit more deception, then he'd have a shot at the mid rotation starter hype he had/has.

Haven't seen any mention that 23yr old / 2014 10 round draft choice Tim Arakawa was promoted from A+ to AAA recently.

Not being a constant follower of the Angels minor leaguers, is he now a top prospect considering his quick rise through the system? 

Seems he played SS/2B at A+ but is playing LF at AAA.

Or are the Angels searching every nook and cranny for a potential LF considering they don't have one?

Jared Ruxer was my pick to click going into this season and I know I've brought him up a few times, so sorry if I've become repetitive... Anyway, he's made the move from RP back to SP and he's doing well.  I still think he needs to be moved to High-A, but whatever...  it's a boost to the franchise if his arm is all the way back from TJ surgery.

5 IP today -- 0 ER so far.

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

Haven't seen any mention that 23yr old / 2014 10 round draft choice Tim Arakawa was promoted from A+ to AAA recently.

Not being a constant follower of the Angels minor leaguers, is he now a top prospect considering his quick rise through the system? 

Seems he played SS/2B at A+ but is playing LF at AAA.

Or are the Angels searching every nook and cranny for a potential LF considering they don't have one?

I've seen this happen a few time where they are short players at AAA for whatever reason, and instead of promoting someone from AA, they send up a util guy or a C for a few games and then send him back down.  they did this with another guy by the name of Angelo Amendolare recently where they sent him to AA for two games, AAA for one game and then back to A ball.  

What do we know about a guy named Kevin Grendell.  Currently in the IE.  Started the year at burlington.  Was drafted by the orioles in the 11th round 2012.  Got suspended for 50 games that year I think.  

He's a lefty reliever with 39k in 23.1ip.  1.029 WHIP.  

Does anyone know what happened to Reid Scoggins? He was a guy who could hit triple digits. 

His last season in 2013 at Single-A

IP 65 ERA 3.46 H/9 7.3 K/9 10.5 BB/9 4.8

The walks were a little high but he was still young at 22 with good strikeout rates. Doesn't seem like he would warrant being released. 

19 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Does anyone know what happened to Reid Scoggins? He was a guy who could hit triple digits. 

The walks were a little high but he was still young at 22 with good strikeout rates. Doesn't seem like he would warrant being released. 

according to the interwebs, he's a pitching coach in big spring, tx.  

Jared Ruxer 5ip, 4h, 0er, 1bb, 2k.  1.14 era.  1.23whip.  41k in 47.1ip.  

Amendolare 2-4.  .850ops so far in 75 at bats.  

Ayendy Perez 2-4

Jabari Henri  3-4, hr.  .243/.729

Nate Smith 6ip, 7h, 1er, 2bb, 1k.  

Jose Valdez 2ip, 2h, 0er, 1bb, 1k.  New pickup from the tigers.  On the 40 man.  

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

What do we know about a guy named Kevin Grendell.  Currently in the IE.  Started the year at burlington.  Was drafted by the orioles in the 11th round 2012.  Got suspended for 50 games that year I think.  

He's a lefty reliever with 39k in 23.1ip.  1.029 WHIP.  

I remember they tried shifting him to SP -- not sure why they cut bait on him, his suspension came early in his career and he didn't really have any other issues after that..  I had not noticed it was the same guy but not a bad pick up by Eppler and company.

5 hours ago, vladdy#27 said:

I think he was injured all of 2014 -- it may have been career ending or he just decided to hang them up.

Also if you guys are wondering what I'm paying very close attention to right now, it's the fact that Cal Towey and Tim Arakawa are in AAA.  Tower just seems to be hitting just enough to keep moving up the ladder.  Capable at 3B and LF (and C in a pinch), Towey might make himself into a candidate in the corner infield or outfield.  Some pop and some speed from him.  nFor more info, read my latest - http://monkeywithahalo.com/uncategorized/cal-towey-sleeper-prospect.html

And Arakawa, I've been saying all along (most recently with Doc) that he's the guy everyone is sleeping on that's going to be a major leaguer.  He has a nice lefty swing, not a slapper, other teams have to play him honest.   He comes with the added ability to play 2B, SS, 3B and LF, all capably.  Arakawa was quite literally drafted only last year, and is already holding his own in AAA.