• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

A

Sanger 1-5

Foster 3-5, cs

Alexis Rivas 2-5

Jared Walsh 2-4

Pierson 3-4

Gatto 5ip, 5h, 1er, 3bb, 2k.  Held it together tonight.  Still sporting an era above 7.  Not a lot of progress from a numbers standpoint.  Turned 21 on june 14th so he's still young, but his minor league era for his career is 5.70.  in 140.1ip hes given up 192 hits, 56bb, 106k.  Looking like a bust so far.  Any hope of him turning things around?  

A+

Fletcher 3-4, double, bb, .194

Arakawa 2-5

Houchins 3-4, double.  .222

Alex Klonowski 7ip, 5h, 1er, 1bb, 1k.  

Grendell 1ip, 0er, 1h, 1bb, 3k

Middleton 1ip, 0h, 0er, 1bb, 3k

AA

Aguilera 3-4, 2b.  .289/.812

Henry 1-4, hr

Tyler Carpenter 5ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 2k

AAA

Cowart 2-4, double.  .304/.816

Juan Graterol 1-3, double, 2rbi, bb.  

Choi 1-3, bb

Sherm 0-5

Gaito's issue tends to be similar to Richards.  He's living up in the zone, and his body, stuff and release point all work better down in the zone.  When he starts getting hit, he starts pumping heat, and he only ends up getting more wild, and getting hit even harder.  Sure, pumping 93-94 without movement worked in high school, but in professional ball, everyone can hit that fastball.  

Richards too would leave the ball elevated, and his mechanics were off, so his four-seam fastball in A Ball was 94-96 (not the 96-98 four-seamer we know today), and he'd leave it elevated and get hit.  Once he fine tuned some things and stayed at the knees, he found success.  Once he developed a two-seam fastball with movement and velocity, he found dominance. 

That's what I'd look for from Gatto right now.  Stop worrying about belt high at 94 and worry more about knee high with movement at 92. 

In the draft thread my wife looked at the picture of Torii Hunter Jr signing and thought Torii Sr had signed up to be with the Angels again. Lots of family resemblance but I had to point out that Dad's hairstyle is more... aerodynamic.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Nice! What's the scouting report on him?

Intense leg kick, long stride, lots of moving parts to delivery.  Hides the ball extremely well, but no movement to his heater, just a straight "hit it if you can" pitch.  Fastball sits 94-96.  Average but inconsistent curve ball, "show me" change up.  When he was drafted, his fastball was 91-93, late last season he was clocked at 98/99, so obviously some kind of a change occurred, not sure what it was. 

13 minutes ago, KevinJ14 said:

Ty Barkell had 9 K's in 4 IP relieving starter Ramon Rodriguez for the Orem Owlz

Do we have a scouting reporting on this kid? Which round did we draft him out of?

Also, Zimmerman has been killing it. Any scouting reports on this cat yet?

I posted this in the other thread. He's a non-drafted 1B who was not allowed to pitch in college.

Non-Drafted:

Actually awhile ago

Former University of South Carolina Aiken baseball standout Ty Barkell has signed a contract with the Los Angeles Angels. Barkell, a tremendous first baseman, has inked the deal as a pitcher.

"Ty was very disappointed when the draft came around and his name was not called," Thomas said. "We talked in June after the draft and the decision was made to try the pitching direction. We had toyed with him pitching at USC Aiken the last couple of years, but each time I decided he was so valuable to our team playing first base and hitting in the four hole, it wasn't worth the risk.

"This summer and fall he dedicated himself to working on pitching and came to the stadium daily working as hard as anyone possibly could. On our annual Scout Day, I felt he was truly ready to show his talents on the mound so we let him throw to a few batters. He was ready, consistently throwing pitches between 92 and 94 MPH and he topped out at 95."

Barkell Inks Deal With Angels

http://www.pacersports.com/sports/bsb/2015-16/releases/20151006jiczuu

DSL

Leon Rivas 3-5, bb, 3 rbi, sb (8)

Angel Molina 2-5, double, bb, sb (4)

Johan Sala 2-6, double

Johan De La Cruz 2-6, double, sb (3)

William Medoza 2-3

Roberto Pineda 3ip, 0h, 1bb, 3k 

AZL

Ryan Vega 2-4, 2 triples

Gabriel Santana 2-4, 2rbi, 

Nonie Williams, 0-4.  Stlll looking for his first hit.  

Johnny Morell 1ip, 1h, 1bb, 2k.  18yo picked in the 31st round.

Sean Issac 3ip, 2h, 0er, 3k

Jason Broussard 3ip, 1h, 0er, 3k

Tyler Warmoth 2ip, 2h, 2k.

Orem

Jones 1-4

Thaiss 1-3

Zimmerman 3-4, 2rbi

Lund 2-4

Justuts 1-4, double

Barash 2-4

Abbott 1-4

Ty Barkell 4ip, 2h, 0er, 0bb, 9k.  

Bo Tucker 2ip, 1h, 0er, 0bb, 4k.  12 round.  21yo lefty

Vinson 1ip, 1h, 0er, 0bb, 2k.  

A

Hermosillo 2-5

Luis Pena 3ip, 2h, 0er, 2bb, 3k

A+

Hutton Moyer 4-4, double, hr (3)

Wade Wass 2-4

Baldoquin 2-3, bb

Eric Alonzo 2ip, 1h, 0er, 2k, 1.43era 44ip, 35h, 10bb, 51k.  40th round pick in 2014.  Rhed 24yo

AA

Eric Aguilera 2-5, hr (11)

Jabari Henry 1-3, hr (11)

AAA

Sherman Johnson 2-5

Cowart 1-5, double

Nate Smith 6.1ip, 6h, 0er, 2bb, 6k

Jose Valdez 0.2ip, 1bb, 1k

What's the story on Eric Alonzo?

Also, Nate Smith has been very consistent aside from two real bad outings.    8 innings, 26 baserunners, 17 runs; other 74 innings, around 2.30 ERA and around 1.22 WHIP in a hitters' league.

Is September still the intended MLB promotion date?

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

What's the story on Eric Alonzo?

Also, Nate Smith has been very consistent aside from two real bad outings.    8 innings, 26 baserunners, 17 runs; other 74 innings, around 2.30 ERA and around 1.22 WHIP in a hitters' league.

Is September still the intended MLB promotion date?

Aguilera is a late bloomer, has a skill set similar to that of Efren Navarro. The most interesting thing I've found about Aguilera was actually a quote from his college coach when he was drafted. He made the bold statement that Eric was the best hitter in the Midwest and that soon everyone would find out. This coming from the guy that coached Eric and dozens others, but also coming from a small school coach.

Anyway, it looks like he was right, Eric is legitimately a good hitter. A beautifully smooth, effortless left handed swing, doesn't try to do too much. When they pitch him inside, he turns on it and deposits the ball over the fence in RF, when they pitch him away, he sprays line drives over the shortstop's head.

I'm guessing he'll spend some time in the majors in the next couple years.

54 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Aguilera is a late bloomer, has a skill set similar to that of Efren Navarro. The most interesting thing I've found about Aguilera was actually a quote from his college coach when he was drafted. He made the bold statement that Eric was the best hitter in the Midwest and that soon everyone would find out. This coming from the guy that coached Eric and dozens others, but also coming from a small school coach.

Anyway, it looks like he was right, Eric is legitimately a good hitter. A beautifully smooth, effortless left handed swing, doesn't try to do too much. When they pitch him inside, he turns on it and deposits the ball over the fence in RF, when they pitch him away, he sprays line drives over the shortstop's head.

I'm guessing he'll spend some time in the majors in the next couple years.

And more pop than Navarro by a lot.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

And more pop than Navarro by a lot.

Navarro had more strength in him, he just never used it.  I think it was one of this cases that when he let loose, he'd typically just miss a pitch, so Navarro ended up opting for a more conservative approach.  Aguilera employs a similar approach, except on mistake pitches or ones on the inner half, in which case he unloads.  The leads to a slightly higher K-rate, but as you said more pop.  But they should be similar players.  Not starters at the major league level, but certainly someone your deploy with confidence when your regular needs some rest. 

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Aguilera has done nothing but hit at every level.  The only times he struggled were when he got called up mid season.  Think he deserves to be moved up.  Sometimes guys like him can actually be a solid contributor at the major league level if just given the chance.  

Aguilera, Cal Towey, Sherman, Choi....bring them up.

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Agree.  I know you aren't a believer, but I'm handing the 3b job to Cowart for the rest of the year.  

I may not have confidence in Cowart's bat, but if Simmons career has taught us anything, it's that value can be accumulated in a number of different ways.

I think Cowart can be a 2 win player even if he only hits .240.