• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

Man if McGowin and Alcantara can dominate in Double-A and Nate Smith continues to pitch well in AAA, as well as Tropeano in the big leagues, with Skaggs coming up soon...we'll be like Newcomb/Ellis who?

That would be nice. I think the thing to keep in mind with these guys is their floor and ceiling. The knock on Dipoto era drafts (headed by Ric Wilson) is that they've been too pitching heavy and too college heavy. The result is a lot of pitchers with lower ceilings, but high floors. Essentially a lot of swing men and 5th starters.

Newcomb and Ellis both had a higher ceiling, which is what made them attractive to other teams. But their floors are also quite low, meaning there's still a higher probability for flame out or bullpen work.

Alcantara fits the Newcomb-Ellis mold, while McGowin is more the other. Nate Smith too. The end result here is that we have two 3-4-5 starter candidates in McGowin and Smith when what this team really needs is another Garrett Richards. Fortunately we have Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano that can potentially fit that bill.

I'm hoping Alcantara can be a difference maker in the pen this year if being a SP doesn't work out. Seeing that 100 mph heat would throw off a lot of guys once Smith and Street come in afterwards. Also good to see Ward's plate discipline is still going strong. That's what he'll need if he wants to make it in the Bigs (offensively).

If Victor Alcantara's changeup continues to improve and he can command his sick slider and high 90's fastball better, look the F out. He could end up being better than Richards.

But I agree with what you said, Scotty about the ceiling and floors for all of these guys. 

The high floor/low ceiling draft seems to work better for pitching in my estimation.  Mostly because you've got a fall back being the pen.  

For position players, there are always guys floating around who can be your utility infielder or 4th OFer.  Some of those guys might even end up being fringe starters.  Look at our AAA roster right now.  The entire thing is filled with what a high floor low ceiling draft pick is likely to become.  

I think it's a mistake to focus only only one segment of the player pool.  Scout as many players as possible and draft BPA.  Don't worry about whether a player is potentially closer to the majors.  If they aren't very talented, they aren't going to help that much anyway. 

The high floor/low ceiling draft seems to work better for pitching in my estimation. Mostly because you've got a fall back being the pen.

For position players, there are always guys floating around who can be your utility infielder or 4th OFer. Some of those guys might even end up being fringe starters. Look at our AAA roster right now. The entire thing is filled with what a high floor low ceiling draft pick is likely to become.

I think it's a mistake to focus only only one segment of the player pool. Scout as many players as possible and draft BPA. Don't worry about whether a player is potentially closer to the majors. If they aren't very talented, they aren't going to help that much anyway.

I like what they did last year, taking a ton of isotope players. They even managed to acquire first round talent in the second round with Jahmai Jones. But guys like Sanger, Arakawa, Fletcher and Ward could end up being pretty decent.

I like what they did last year, taking a ton of isotope players. They even managed to acquire first round talent in the second round with Jahmai Jones. But guys like Sanger, Arakawa, Fletcher and Ward could end up being pretty decent.

that's my issue.  We drafted one high upside guy.  The other guys might end up pretty decent.  Does that mean fringy major leaguers?  Guys unlikely to ever be true starters?  I wouldn't mind a mix of that with a few more swing for the fences types.  

that's my issue. We drafted one high upside guy. The other guys might end up pretty decent. Does that mean fringy major leaguers? Guys unlikely to ever be true starters? I wouldn't mind a mix of that with a few more swing for the fences types.

Seriously there is no way to predict or an exact formula.

Just draft the best player available and go from there.

A - loss 10-4

Amendolare 3-5

Delph 2-3

both with a double.  Don't know much about either

Gatto got pounded.  5ip, 9h, 4er, 1bb, 5k.  Would like to see him start moving forward a bit although he is just 20yo.  My guess is that comes at 22ish when he gets to AA.  

A+ loss 7-2

Fletcher 2-4, bb

Houchins 1-3, bb, rbi

Ward 0-4 (.240)

Briceno 1-3, bb

Trexler 1.2ip, 3k.  25 yo former white sox product.  Only drafted in 2014 though (out of the vaunted univ of north florida).  I think he will be known as Florida man hence forth.  

that's my issue. We drafted one high upside guy. The other guys might end up pretty decent. Does that mean fringy major leaguers? Guys unlikely to ever be true starters? I wouldn't mind a mix of that with a few more swing for the fences types.

I think Sanger has a Calhoun streak to him. Arakawa reminds me of Giavotella, just sprays line drives, Fletcher is the better defensive version of Eck, Baldoquin would be Maicer in this scenario which makes Jahmai Jones Torii Hunter.

I think Sanger has a Calhoun streak to him. Arakawa reminds me of Giavotella, just sprays line drives, Fletcher is the better defensive version of Eck, Baldoquin would be Maicer in this scenario which makes Jahmai Jones Torii Hunter.

Jahmai Jones - Torii Hunter........ Well, I hope he's just is a lil better than Reggie Montgomery and breaks camp eventually with the Big Club........ I'm not going to place titles or comparisons on anyone! Especially a kid that may or may not make it.

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

A - win 3-1

Amendolare 3-5, 2b, rbi, sb

Serena 2-4

Genao 2-4

Barria 5ip, 4h, 0er, 2k, 0bb.  19yo from panama.  

Alonzo, 3ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 5k

A+ loss 4-2

Klonowski 6ip, 4h, 1er, 3bb, 2k

Ward 0-4 (.207)

Briceno, Fletcher and Houchins also 0 fer as well.  Ward and Houchins both made an error

AA loss 9-3

Alcantara 3.1ip, 4h, 5er, 6bb, 0k

Sherman J 3-3, 2bb, (.333 overall with a .481obp)

Hinshaw  2-4

Wade Wass 2-5

Aguilera 1-5 with an error

AAA won 10-9

Ortega 2-3, hr, 3rbi, bb

Bandy 2-3, 1bb (.412 overall)

Cowart 0-5

Buss 2-5, 2sb

Marte 0-4 with an error (.077 so far)

Kubitza 2-3, 3b, 3rbi, 1bb (.385)

Cunningham 1-2, 3bb (.391)

Cam 2.0ip, 0h, 0er, 1bb, 3k

Alburquerque 1ip, 2h, 1bb, 3k

Alcantra struggles with getting movement on the ball. He can dial it up to triple digits, but loses control when he does so. He needs to bring it back a bit, get some more movement on it, and keep the control. He also really needs to develop his secondary stuff so that he can setup his pitches better. When he's on, and getting it down in the zone, and working the secondaries, he's tough to hit. When he's not, yeah, it's fast, but it's straight, and hittable.

So, the possibility of more consistently inconsistent young pitchers are in our Future? Great~

I've said for quite some time, Alcantara is a reliever if I ever saw one. As a reliever, if he's only responsible for one inning of success instead of multiple, he may be able to sustain the consistency he needs.

A - win 6-4

Hutton Moyer 2-5 Solid in Orem last year with a .761ops.  Almost 24 years old

Sanger 1-4, error (3)

Tanner Lubach 2-4  Catcher with a solid year at orem as well .762ops. 23 years old

Jordan Serena 3-4. 

Josh Delph 2-4 

Grayson Long 5ip, 4h, 0er, 3bb, 3k

Zach Hartman 3ip, 1h, 1bb, 2k.  Undrafted out of UNLV.  1.80era last year between AZL and Orem.  30ip, 40k, 3bb.  24 years old.  

A - lost 3-2 in 12

Jared Walsh 2-3, 2bb

Delph 2-5

Ronnie Glenn 4ip, 3h, 1er, 4bb, 5k

Jared Ruxer 3ip, 3h, 1er, bb, 5k.

A+ won 4-0

Fletcher 2-4

Arakawa 2-4, hr, 2rbi

Ward 1-4, rbi

Tyler Carpenter 6ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 5k. 24yo who was a RP in 2014 and 2015.  Conversion to starting is working out well so far.  25th round from Georgia Gwinnet College.  

AA won 15-1

Sherm 1-3, rbi, 3rbi, 3bb

Yarbrough 2-4, double, rbi, 2bb

Eric Aguilera 3-5, 2 doubles, 3rbi

Towey 2-4, hr, 2rbi, bb

Brandon Bayardi, 4-6, 2 doubles, 2rbi

Bo Way 2-5, 3b, 3rbi

Alex Blackford 5ip, 3h, 1er, 2bb, 6k

AAA won 10-5

Robinson 2-5

Marte 3-4, bb

Buss 2-4, 3b