• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

I don't see what Newcomb's age has to do with anything besides having to pay a surcharge to rent a car.

Age is relevant to every minor leaguer ever..    The optimal age for AA is 22.  For AAA it's 23.    The optimal age for a guy to break into MLB is 24.   Historically, guys who do well when younger than the optimal age tend to have the greatest amount of success.

Relevant for top prospect lists?  His earning potential?  We're talking about a guy that is younger than most of the league and has started 34 minor league games.  He isn't exactly in danger of falling behind in the near future.  He needs to throw more strikes. 

Relevant for top prospect lists?  His earning potential?  We're talking about a guy that is younger than most of the league and has started 34 minor league games.  He isn't exactly in danger of falling behind in the near future.  He needs to throw more strikes. 

You asked why age is relevant...  I answered..   You need not rush out to white knight Newcomb -- nobody is attacking him.  

Who is Alex Blackford?

Great start today in AA, pretty damn good minor league numbers too.

ASU guy, I saw they used him as a starter today -- wonder if that's permanent...  they had been using him as a RP.   

This is what Sickels had to say about him a little while back.. 

Alex Blackford, RHP: 37th round pick this year out of Arizona State as a senior, threw two innings of scoreless relief. Doesn't throw hard, just upper 80s, but kept hitters off balance because he could hit his spots and change speeds. Has a 31/6 K/BB in 26 innings with a 2.81 ERA. Oddly enough, he had problems doing this in college: he posted an ugly 36/24 K/BB in 35 innings for the Sun Devils this spring. Organization pitcher, but useful to have around.

I said he needs to get things moving a bit and then you insinuated me calling him a bust.  

Your point that his age isn't relevant is incorrect in my opinion.  His age is relevant.  It doesn't mean he's a bust though.  At some point, not being able to progress appropriately means something.  

He's not there yet, but soon at age 23 and in AA, a guy that can't consistently find the zone starts becoming a discussion.  

Edited by Dochalo

23 in AA = bust.  He's got two months to save his career.

you didn't post this?  must be another ScottT.  

So, just to be clear, you are saying the age of a player in the minors relative to their level is not important?  

For the record, I think he's gonna be very good.  If he were in the halos system still, I would have only mild concern.  

A - loss 4-3 

Tanner Lubach - 1-3, hr, 3rib

Grayson Long - 5ip, 4h, 1er, 1bb, 7k.  88-92mph fastball.  can touch 94/95.  Drafted last year in the 3rd round.  6'5" and 230.  Apparently some room to fill out and increase velo.  Out of texas a&m.  Rhed with work in progress offspeed stuff.  changeup is his best secondary pitch and developing slider.  Supposedly has good command.  Interesting about long was that last year he was listed at 200lbs and now he's 230.  Anyone have any idea where his velo was at tonight?  Could be a good sign.  Scotty had him at #6.   

A+ - loss 3-2

Ward 1-4

Houchins 1-4, hr (4)

Rhoades 5ip, 5h, 3bb, 4k, 3er

Baldoquin didn't play again.  Hurt? 

AA loss 6-4 in 12 

Brandon Bayardi 3-6, 2b, hr, 3 rbi

Blackford 5ip, 2h, 0er, 1bb, 6k.  More on blackford - did well as a starter in 2014.  33.2ip, 41k, 2.67era.  no real starts in 2015, but had some long relief appearances.  Missed a lot of bats last season with 73k in 51ip but walked 24 and gave up 59 hits.  

AAA win 7-4 (4-0)

Ortega 2-4, 2rbi (hitting .500 so far)

Cunningham 2-4, hr, 3rbi

Bandy 2-4, double, rbi

Cowart 1-3, bb

Skaggs 3ip, 3h, 1er, 2bb, 1k

Guerra and Cotts each with a scoreless appearance.