• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What one thing do the Angels most need to break right for them in 2016

29 members have voted

1. 1. What one thing most needs to go right for the Angels in 2016

• Can Cron develop into a legit DH ?
    • Albert Pujols puts up an all star type year
    • Weaver proves he's still a viable MLB starting pitcher
    • One of Skaggs, Shoemaker, or Tropeano lock up the 5th spot in the rotation
    • Andrew Heaney follows his rookie year with a strong 2nd season
    • Angels get replacement level production at LF
    • Angels get replacement level production at 2b

I know the Angels have tons of questions going into the 2016 campaign and wondered, if I could pick one thing that really needed to happen in a positive way for the Angels to have some success this season; what might that be ? I left off Mike Trout having a big year because thats incredibly obvious. Here are some of the big ones I can think of. Added an other option for important ones I didn't think of.

I think CJ Cron turning out to be a known quality MLB bat would be absolutely massive for the club.

Edited by UndertheHalo

The left field platoon puts up a .700 OPS.

Weaver and Wilson each contribute 150+ innings of near league average ERA.

Cron puts up 600 plate appearances at .275/.320/.480/.800.

Two pen arms not named Smith/Street (their need to contribute above average results is a given) step up and combine for 100-120 innings of 3.00 ERA.

Edited by wopphil

right now I am feeling like the bullpen needs to perform well for us to succeed and there are question marks up and down.  

my other thing is Richards performing as an ace.  

(btw, I am no English cop and not in a position to cast stones, but would the thread title be edited?)

Edited by Dochalo

I know the Angels have tons of questions going into the 2016 campaign and wondered what everyone thought needed to happen most in a positive way for the Angels to have some success this season.  I left of Mike Trout having a big year because thats incredibly obvious.  Here are some of the big ones I can think of.  Added an other option for important ones I didn't think of.  

I think CJ Cron turning out to be a known quality MLB bat would be absolutely massive for the club.

I'm greedy, where's the all of the above choice? :)

It is funny though.

The advanced stats say Escobar was pitiful at 3rd base last year. Defensive Runs Saved had him in last place among third basemen at -11; Ultimate Zone Rating had him at minus-7.7, ranked 17th out of 20 qualifiers.

So what does Scisocia say?

"If you see the way he's worked out, you see a plus defender," he said. "He will be a plus defender for us."

Glad Scioscia has been using the analytics given to him for years.

I think the more food he eats, the dumber he gets.

He should just admit he doesn't trust a rookie to play third base.

Escobar got a lot better as the year progressed last year. Tools standpoint, he has the glove, range and arm to be a very good 3B. It just takes time.

Like Callaspo, when we first acquired him, he was considered questionable defensively at 3B, and those were the more optimistic reports. Most thought he was just flat out bad. But Dipoto got him and Griffin worked with him. In no time those tools of his turned him into an above average defender.

Escobar should turn into a good defensive option at 3B this year.

Khrulz I have a hunch you are going to have a short stay here.

When you crash land, sometimes your brain doesn't function very well.  He must think that if we trade him we will get the entire NL Central Division.

When you crash land, sometimes your brain doesn't function very well.  He must think that if we trade him we will get the entire NL Central Division.

you'd don't see a lot of people walk away after landing on their head when their parachute doesn't open.  

1.  Can Cron develop into a legit DH ?
  2.  Albert Pujols puts up an all star type year
  3.  Weaver proves he's still a viable MLB starting pitcher
  4.  One of Skaggs, Shoemaker, or Tropeano lock up the 5th spot in the rotation
  5.  Andrew Heaney follows his rookie year with a strong 2nd season
  6.  Angels get replacement level production at LF
  7.  Angels get replacement level production at 2b

Hard to choose between these options because I see a few of these a little differently.

Cron needs to develop into a legit FIRST BASEMEN this season. Pujols is not going to spend all that much time there this year I think, and Cron's defense is going to be a big deal.

Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano need to be better than 5th starter material. Skaggs needs to show he can pitch near the top of a rotation, Tropeano towards the middle of it, and I think Shoemaker needs to successfully move to the backend of the bullpen. This is the biggest thing for the team.

Replacement level from LF would be a huge improvement, but they need more than that. I'll take 1-1.5 war if you offer it right now. There isn't much upside here but a whole lot of downside.

Second base is similar, but Gia needs to do more than be a 1 war second basemen. He needs to improve his defense enough to allow him to be a 2 war player.

The Angels need all of those to happen, plus Pujols can't afford to decline sharply, and Weaver can't be allowed to be a huge drag on the rotation, either by being just good enough that his 'veteranness' keeps him around, or by just being absolutely terrible.

Of these 8 positions mentioned, if all 8 things happen this team will make the playoffs, probably even win the division. If only 4 or 5 happen they probably compete for the wild card. Less than 3 and we are talking a less than .500 team. 

It just seems like so many things need to happen in order for this team to succeed this year. I don't remember a recent season that felt so "hit or miss". With so many things needing to go right it feels like this is going to either be a really fun year to watch or a long struggle of things going wrong all the time. No matter what happens, I am thrilled to have Baseball back. Let's go Angels!

I don't think it's good to root for someone to fail to produce though. Because if Escobar plays bad, we won't be getting production from 3rd base for as long as he keeps playing bad, and that will hurt the team until a switch is made.

You're right of course, I not rooting for him to fail, just considering the possibility.