• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Three-way Trade?

John Smith

My take: EpPler had a stiffie for Saunders when Ep was with the Yankees, and jumped at the opportunity to get him. Then he did some work and checked the physical, and realized he was a bum.

I hope I'm wrong but that looks like the case.

It was the Blue Jays prospect that had the questionable medicals, supposedly.

Most unsatisfying three-way ever?

Reminds me of a funny conversation I had with some co-workers a few years back. Me and a few other guys were drinking at The Door. We were talking about our experiences, when I asked one of the guys if he ever had a threesome. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Mike, you have banged a lot of girls in your life, you ever have a three some?"

Mike: "Yeah, one time."

Me: "How was it?"

Mike: "It got awkward, actually."

Me: "Why?"

Mike: "Because part-way through, the girl got upset and left."

Me: "What about the other girl?"

Mike: "What do you mean?"

Me: "The other girl in the three some, what about her?"

Mike: "Oh, there was no other girl. The three some was me and a friend banging this one chick."

Needless to say, Mike never lived that down. ("Mike" wasn't his actual name)

The narrative on Nava and Gentry on here is that neither has a guaranteed contract. I assumed that was the reality. If not then I'm not sure why they would add a fifth guaranteed contract to the outfield

But if we simply look at what the options are, you'd see those non-guaranteed contracts are in essence guaranteed.

1. Gentry is almost assured a roster spot. We have no other pinch running options. We have no other options for CF. His only competition for this reserve role is Rafael Ortega and Chad Hinshaw, but Ortega can be stashed in AAA and Hinshaw only just conquered AA.

2. Nava, he's the most proven of the LF options and that counts a thousand times over with Scioscia. His main competition for starting LF is probably Choi, and chances are we'll stash Choi at 1B until Pujols returns. So Nava is pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Now if Saunders comes in, the only player he can push out of a roster spot is Nava or Choi. Choi is a Rule 5 pick, which makes a team think twice about moving him. Nava isn't much of a 1B, this basically narrows it down to Saunders can Nava. You don't trade for Saunders unless you specifically plan to keep him. I'm not opposed to it, but it wastes Nava.

Is Eppler so dumb that the extent of him seeing Nava was in ballparks with short right-field porches and one with a green monster to pepper balls off of at Fenway during his NY Yankees tenure?

I would rather have a healthy Michael Saunders in LF than Nava any day. The guy was a career minor leaguer that had a nice MLB debut which prolonged what should have been a 4-A career in the minors.

Nava vs Yankees: 

.281 .395 .431 .826

Eppler did make a comment about being interested in players who have hurt the Yankees. I may be butchering it. Anyone remember where to find that one?

I read this as well, which is what I'm basing my post off of. 

I prefer Saunders over Nava too in the RHP part of the platoon. More pop and has a higher ceiling. Nava has a better OBP though. No reason why we can't keep all 3 honestly. 

I'd love a Saunders/Jackson platoon in LF. Good defense and solid offense contributions on the cheap. 

Austin Jackson will not cost that much money or a draft pick either. 

Exactly. Somehow in flops head he thinks that because the deal fell through on the part that had nothing to do with the Angels it somehow embarrasses the Angels. Someone might be a tiny bit sensitive.

or you hare completely misstating WHY i think its embarrassing... nah, that cant be it.. nevermind, proceed. 

I'll let the guy paid to make that decision decide whether it's a gain or not. We literally have only a handful of guys that project to be major leaguers in the minors. We aren't trading a future anything for this guy.

Why are we trading ANYONE LIKE THIS AT ALL regardless of who we trade?  The numbers simply do not back up that this person would help us in any way, you are usually on top of that but you are telling me to look the other way for some reason?

if you are seriously asking me to trust the same front office that refused to sign a legit LF you are barking up the wrong tree my friend, not going to happen.  

I prefer Saunders over Nava too in the RHP part of the platoon. More pop and has a higher ceiling. Nava has a better OBP though. No reason why we can't keep all 3 honestly. 

The Law Offices of DeJesus Murphy & Victorino would disagree with you....And so would I.... We could call them Suckage Squared! Someone make a T-Shirt~ STAT!

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

I disagree, I think Gentry and Nava are far from guaranteed roster spots. Both those dudes sucked in the majors and minors last year and should be well aware that their spot on any MLB team is on thin ice, despite whatever tools they may bring. The fact that Ortega, Buss, Brown, Cunningham, Choi, and possibly someone like Saunders or Jackson still also indicate that they have no clear shot. 

Plus, Eppler has been semi-ruthless in casting folks aside if they don't fit. He didn't see much in Newcomb, shipped him off. Didn't see reason to keep Featherston, played merry-go-round with folks like Torreyes and LaFromboise, claimed folks like Achter and quickly DFA'ed them to the minors, and when he Rule 5'ed Choi and Guerra, stated that they were picked to fill a role and if they didn't win, the organization would ship them back rather than keep them. 

If Nava or Gentry have a poor spring and folks like Ortega, Choi, and Cunningham go all JB Shuck or Giavotella during spring, I don't think there would be any hesitation cutting them loose or offering them spots in SLC. Which would be a nice change of pace.

This org, be it Arte, GM's, Sosh, seems to have long had a problem sticking with underperformers for too long. 

Edited by totdprods

Can Saunders seriously play any kind of LF with most of his cartilage missing from the one knee?

That's my big question.    His offense wasn't half bad from 2012-2014 (close to mid .700s OPS).

Wow. Saunders Advanced Fielding Metrics are all over the place. Before the knee surgery he was considered solid defensively in corner OF positions with the basic range to cover CF as a backup. I don't know how his knee surgery has impacted his defensive capabilities. No doubt any CF duties are out. Gentry is really the only legitimate CF backup.

If Saunders could provide .745 OPS as the left-handed side of a platoon with a DRS/UZR of 0, that would fully replace Hamilton for $2.9m.

Edited by halosfan1970