• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Three-way Trade?

John Smith

giphy.gif

Imagine actually believing this..

Well sure, I could pick 9 prospects out of that bunch that can be MLB starters or relievers at some point...

1. Ward, 2. Kubitza 3. Jones 4. Bandy 5. Gatto 6. Long 7. Nate Smith 8. Victor Alcantara 9. Sanger/Cowart/Hinshaw/McGowin/Choi/Paredes

I could even pick 5 out of the bunch that could be "good" (as in an above average MLB starter at their position).

1. Ward 2. Kubitza 3. Jones 4. Gatto or Long 5. Alcantara or Paredes.

Now if you wanted to pick out an all-star, that's much harder. Maybe Ward or Jones. But that's a big maybe.

See I think most people forget that while this system sucks something fierce, it is still packed with arms. Guys like Gatto, Long, Smith and McGowin are still future MLB quality starters based on their stuff. And as far as relievers go, Alcantara, McGowin, Paredes, and Jewell all have the stuff you look for from a reliever, which is a firm fastball and great off-speed pitch (minus control for most of them).

So yeah, laugh as much as you want. I'm not debating the fact that this system is crap. But I am literally showing you that in this last place, crap of a farm system, there is still MLB talent in there. It isn't the high upside sort because that isn't how we've drafted. But it's there.

So if, according to the rumors on Twitter, the Angels are giving up two prospects to acquire one year of Michael Saunders then I'm not going to care for the trade that much.

However if we did acquire one of the Reds spare INF's such as Eugenio Suarez or possibly even Brandon Phillips (but money is a problem here) then it might be a lot more palatable.

Between SS and 2B the Reds have Cozart, Phillips, Suarez, De Jesus, Peraza, and even prospect Blandino. That's a lot of 2B depth in particular (Cozart is more of an actual SS). Gotta think that this might be a little larger to acquire a 2B possibly but we'll see. The Reds could use a 3B too so maybe we send Kubitza or Cowart in a swap.

I'm leaning towards nothing because I'll just continue to be disappointed.

I still can't understand why they would give a guy like this almost $3M when Eric Thames is the same age, has better numbers at the MLB level and put up Bondsian numbers in the KBO last season while Saunders barely played. I'm not saying Thames is the answer either, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Saunders and I'm sure he'd sign for a lot less money too.

The amount the Angels have spent on LF dumpster diving is getting ridiculous.  $6 million for a -1 WAR last year.  $6 million more this year if this trade goes down?

Are they really going to take on $6 million? If true it reaks of Vernon Wells level desperation on a micro scale.

Sounds like Toronto got nervous about Bautista's comments today about his next contract and, worried they'd lose both him and Encarnacion this coming offseason, decided to go after Bruce. Once they got traction with the Reds, the Jays started thinking about where to ship an expendable Saunders off to, saw LAA as a fit, and one of them called up Eppler to let him know what's up and see if he'd throw in a piece to get it all done. 

Probably won't be a major prospect. Bedrosian, Deloach, Smith, or maybe Bandy would probably be highest we're talking.

Sounds like Toronto got nervous about Bautista's comments today about his next contract and, worried they'd lose both him and Encarnacion this coming offseason, decided to go after Bruce. Once they got traction with the Reds, the Jays started thinking about where to ship an expendable Saunders off to, saw LAA as a fit, and one of them called up Eppler to let him know what's up and see if he'd throw in a piece to get it all done.

Probably won't be a major prospect. Bedrosian, Deloach, Smith, or maybe Bandy would probably be highest we're talking.

You could argue all of those guys are more useful than Saunders, despite the wasteland in LF.

His last season in Seattle he seemed to really turn a corner, and he appeared to have been gradually improving building up to that. He got hurt almost immediately in Toronto. I'd actually be pretty happy if he was added to the mix. 

Remember none of us are too excited about Nava, and if Saunders has a big spring and Nava doesn't it'd be one more option. 

Bruce is horrible. This is a salary dump for the Reds.

Blue Jays need to dump Saunders who at 2.9 million is an expensive bench outfielder.

Angels need something besides Getury/Nava going on in LF

This move makes sense for all three teams 

Here is a profile I read on him.

Profile: Back in 2009 and 2010, Michael Saunders was a top 100 prospect said to have surprising athleticism for his size, good bat speed, potential for power growth, and the range and arm to cut it in center field. It took him a few years finally get established in Seattle, and he showed flashes of potential. However, injuries became a problem and his relationship with the front office soured. Saunders seemed primed for a new start in Toronto (and he was another one of the Toronto front office's "Returning Canadian Heros," to boot), but then stepped on a sprinkler in spring training. Yadda yadda yadda, Saunders got only 36 plate appearances in the majors during 2015. Contact has been an issue for Saunders, and when he really struggled with strikeouts his first three years in the majors his numbers accordingly suffered, as his other peripherals could not make up for it. However, even during this "prime," Saunders was mostly average at best. He is entering his age 29 season, and the .273/.341/.450 line he put up for the Mariners in 2014 should be on the upper end of expectations for Saunders. Indeed, even those pretty good numbers were in a small sample in an injury-shorted season (263 plate appearances). How much of his decline is reduced playing time, and how much is decline due to age and injury? The Blue Jays plan on having Saunders be their left fielder in 2015, and over a full season, he can reasonably be expected to put up something like .250/.330/.420 with maybe double digit steals and even 20 home runs. But the closest Saunders has ever come to playing a full season was 139 games. If he makes it through Spring Training and looks healthy, he is a starting outfielder in AL-only leagues, but don't pay as if he is going to give you a full season, and make sure to have a bench player that can make up the value if/when Saunders goes down. (Matt Klaassen)

Bruce is horrible. This is a salary dump for the Reds.

Blue Jays need to dump Saunders who at 2.9 million is an expensive bench outfielder.

Angels need something besides Getury/Nava going on in LF

This move makes sense for all three teams 

Here is a profile I read on him.

Profile: Back in 2009 and 2010, Michael Saunders was a top 100 prospect said to have surprising athleticism for his size, good bat speed, potential for power growth, and the range and arm to cut it in center field. It took him a few years finally get established in Seattle, and he showed flashes of potential. However, injuries became a problem and his relationship with the front office soured. Saunders seemed primed for a new start in Toronto (and he was another one of the Toronto front office's "Returning Canadian Heros," to boot), but then stepped on a sprinkler in spring training. Yadda yadda yadda, Saunders got only 36 plate appearances in the majors during 2015. Contact has been an issue for Saunders, and when he really struggled with strikeouts his first three years in the majors his numbers accordingly suffered, as his other peripherals could not make up for it. However, even during this "prime," Saunders was mostly average at best. He is entering his age 29 season, and the .273/.341/.450 line he put up for the Mariners in 2014 should be on the upper end of expectations for Saunders. Indeed, even those pretty good numbers were in a small sample in an injury-shorted season (263 plate appearances). How much of his decline is reduced playing time, and how much is decline due to age and injury? The Blue Jays plan on having Saunders be their left fielder in 2015, and over a full season, he can reasonably be expected to put up something like .250/.330/.420 with maybe double digit steals and even 20 home runs. But the closest Saunders has ever come to playing a full season was 139 games. If he makes it through Spring Training and looks healthy, he is a starting outfielder in AL-only leagues, but don't pay as if he is going to give you a full season, and make sure to have a bench player that can make up the value if/when Saunders goes down. (Matt Klaassen)

If he did that for us this year, I'd be ecstatic.