• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

And we wonder why Dipoto quit...

Cause he handcuffed the organization in several ways and damaged Moreno's confidence in Front Office personnel. 

The only way you don't go over the luxury tax is if you don't have faith in the plan, presented by the FO, to win and draw fans, working out.

With that said, Eppler needs to have made several trades by Spring Training to get this team where it needs to be headed into the season. 

I don't find anything to be all that clear with this org right now.  

That's part of it. The team has a complete lack of direction. We have Eppler making win-now moves, then signing platoon outfielders while saying we're still in on big free agents. Then 15 minutes later we have Arte - on a boat - saying he's broke and it's not gonna happen. 

Cause he handcuffed the organization in several ways and damaged Moreno's confidence in Front Office personnel. 

The only way you don't go over the luxury tax is if you don't have faith in the plan, presented by the FO, to win and draw fans, working out.

With that said, Eppler needs to have made several trades by Spring Training to get this team where it needs to be headed into the season. 

There is no plan. 

Haha, Dipoto was absolutely part of the problem. He quit because of Arte and Scioscia, but when the guy that takes over for you and trades two pitchers and that constitutes trading the farm, Dipoto is certainly not free of blame.

He definitely shares in the blame, but moves are not always going to work out, and I do think his time with the Angels was very much a learning experience for him. That said Dipoto had a vision for the team and if he was allowed to implement it perhaps it would have worked out. He quit when he realized that he was not going to get to implement that vision.

What we have now is a complete lack of vision, and that is because the GM role has been squeezed between Arte Moreno and Mike Scioscia into this tiny box of mild significance. Tony Reagins is about as bad of a general manager as you can have, but when you consider the pressures to placate ownership and appease Mike Scioscia is it any wonder that these guys fail?

That's part of it. The team has a complete lack of direction. We have Eppler making win-now moves, then signing platoon outfielders while saying we're still in on big free agents. Then 15 minutes later we have Arte - on a boat - saying he's broke and it's not gonna happen. 

I don't view Simmons as a win now move -- it's 5 years of club control.   I see Escobar as a possible cost savings move -- guess we find out whether or not that's the case whenever Freeze signs, but at worst they are paying the same amount as last year for 3B.   Losing Gott stinks, so did losing Jeppy...  and Waldon.  

The one silver lining as it relates to the farm system is that there is no shortage of potential RPs..   Not RP prospects as much as guys who could fit into the sabermetric idea of cheap bullpens.

When it's all said and done -- the holes at 3B, 2B, LF and C were created by the previous front office....   Based on what he's done in Seattle Im guessing JD would have brought back Iannetta...   So that still would have left problem spots at three positions and a looming problem at SS.

He definitely shares in the blame, but moves are not always going to work out, and I do think his time with the Angels was very much a learning experience for him. That said Dipoto had a vision for the team and if he was allowed to implement it perhaps it would have worked out. He quit when he realized that he was not going to get to implement that vision.

The mismanagement of the farm system is entirely on him and his lieutenants.  People have been deluding themselves talking about how the farm system was much improved -- it took all of one deal to disprove that theory.   Even the decision to blow their international budget on Baldoquin is extremely questionable when you take into consideration they were locking themselves out of the Vladdy Jr, sweepstakes.  Vlad 2.0 signed for 3.9 mil -- was easily one of the most acclaimed prospects in his signing period and unlike others that may still think the Angels were cheats -- his family knew the team wasn't going to dick him under.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Tony Reagins is about as bad of a general manager as you can have, but when you consider the pressures to placate ownership and appease Mike Scioscia is it any wonder that these guys fail?

Tony Reagins is the ONLY reason people don't judge JD more harshly -- that and the fact that he could pour honey water down people's throats anytime he spoke in public.

I don't view Simmons as a win now move -- it's 5 years of club control.   I see Escobar as a possible cost savings move -- guess we find out whether or not that's the case whenever Freeze signs, but at worst they are paying the same amount as last year for 3B.   Losing Gott stinks, so did losing Jeppy...  and Waldon.  

The one silver lining as it relates to the farm system is that there is no shortage of potential RPs..   Not RP prospects as much as guys who could fit into the sabermetric idea of cheap bullpens.

When it's all said and done -- the holes at 3B, 2B, LF and C were created by the previous front office....   Based on what he's done in Seattle Im guessing JD would have brought back Iannetta...   So that still would have left problem spots at three positions and a looming problem at SS.

The mismanagement of the farm system is entirely on him and his lieutenants.  People have been deluding themselves talking about how the farm system was much improved -- it took all of one deal to disprove that theory.   Even the decision to blow their international budget on Baldoquin is extremely questionable when you take into consideration they were locking themselves out of the Vladdy Jr, sweepstakes.  Vlad 2.0 signed for 3.9 mil -- was easily one of the most acclaimed prospects in his signing period and unlike others that may still think the Angels were cheats -- his family knew the team wasn't going to dick him under.

You could also describe the Simmons move as a cost savings move, if you consider the alternatives after the 2016 season.

I don't view Simmons as a win now move -- it's 5 years of club control. I see Escobar as a possible cost savings move -- guess we find out whether or not that's the case whenever Freeze signs, but at worst they are paying the same amount as last year for 3B. Losing Gott stinks, so did losing Jeppy... and Waldon.

The one silver lining as it relates to the farm system is that there is no shortage of potential RPs.. Not RP prospects as much as guys who could fit into the sabermetric idea of cheap bullpens.

When it's all said and done -- the holes at 3B, 2B, LF and C were created by the previous front office.... Based on what he's done in Seattle Im guessing JD would have brought back Iannetta... So that still would have left problem spots at three positions and a looming problem at SS.

The mismanagement of the farm system is entirely on him and his lieutenants. People have been deluding themselves talking about how the farm system was much improved -- it took all of one deal to disprove that theory. Even the decision to blow their international budget on Baldoquin is extremely questionable when you take into consideration they were locking themselves out of the Vladdy Jr, sweepstakes. Vlad 2.0 signed for 3.9 mil -- was easily one of the most acclaimed prospects in his signing period and unlike others that may still think the Angels were cheats -- his family knew the team wasn't going to dick him under.

Good post. Only part I disagree with is Jepsen. He pitched great for us at times and then shit the bed. 2014 being a good example. Pitched great during the regular season and got lit up in the playoffs. Over all just inconsistent. Having said that I'll take him over Salas.

Why all the panic? It is December 17th.  I personally don't like Gordon, Cespedes, or Upton.  What I have learned is you do not give a long term contract to FA when they are over 30.  It always

bites you in the butt.  Angels had injuries and terrible LF play and no backup infield and they still got it down to the last game of the season. Oakland and Seattle have not improved. Texas and Houston are good but not much better than the Angels. If the Angels can get a OBP with speed to play left they will be right there.  Simmons is going to be a fan favorite when they see this kid play every day. 

I don't blame Arte for not wanting to go over the luxury tax.