• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

mariners trade for adam lind

ukyah

He traded three 19 year olds with live arms -- one of them having thrown a no-hitter last year for one season of half a 1st baseman...  Adam Lind is strictly a platoon bat -- he couldnt hit on the road last year either...  

Imagine the outcry if Eppler had done that..   Or if he had traded Trumbo AND a reliever for the Orioles third string catcher -- which he's also done this offseason.

Edited by Inside Pitch

They were going to non tender Trumbo and everybody knew it. He was lucky to get anything for him.

You talk in certainties quite often -- it's kinda cute.  

"Everbody knew it" ... because everybody was sure he was willing to go into the season without a 1B after having already traded the other 1B on the roster... guess that's why he threw in a RP...  Lord knows defense first 30 year old catchers are really really hard to find, I mean -- a good GM wouldn't want to go into a season with 24 year old Mike Zunino and his plus dWar glove and career .605 OPS (70 OPS+) bat when you can totally trade for Clevenger and his career dWar of 0.00 and 607 OPS (66 OPS+) bat..

No wonder the O's demanded they be compensated with more than just Trumbo...   I mean, it's not like their current 1B was a free agent or anything.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Aoki has been the only thing the Mariners have done that I've liked. They're making a ton of moves but not really improving

I don't think his top priority over there is necessarily building a competitive team for 2016. 

Believe it's more a case of him just getting rid of every single player he doesn't see value in and receiving exactly the players he wants, so he can work off a clean slate of a team he's assembled for a year or so. He's tearing down an entire team and rebuilding a ground floor for him to work off of in his second year, third year...and if they happen to surprise and compete it's just a cherry on top. 

Seattle will be interesting to watch in a couple years....we'll really see what Jerry's implemented roster, philosophies, and ideas are especially with a coaching staff he handpicked top down.

I don't think his top priority over there is necessarily building a competitive team for 2016. 

Believe it's more a case of him just getting rid of every single player he doesn't see value in and receiving exactly the players he wants, so he can work off a clean slate of a team he's assembled for a year or so. He's tearing down an entire team and rebuilding a ground floor for him to work off of in his second year, third year...and if they happen to surprise and compete it's just a cherry on top. 

Seattle will be interesting to watch in a couple years....we'll really see what Jerry's implemented roster, philosophies, and ideas are especially with a coaching staff he handpicked top down.

This is fair..  The finished product is all that will end up mattering up there.   Then again, the same applies down here...

we have no farm, but he still managed to acquire lots of players with team control, so we're set up a lot better for the next series of trades coming up in about 6 months. it's going to take at least 3-4 more sets of trades to get the farm in the top 50%, and we simply have to have a decent farm. 

The funny/sad thing is I wish the Angels had a farm system as deep as the Mariners -- it's really that bad here.   

He should have traded for Lind last year and got us into the playoffs.

Where was he going to play?  He hasn't taken to the OF in 5 years so it was 1B or DH -- and there was no way he was going to displace AP.   You can say he could have DHed but how much better would he have been than what we already had there?  The dude hit .256/.339/.389 the second half of last season.  CJ Cron -- the guy most people would have traded to get him went .258/.304/.451.  He certainly got on base at a better clip than Cron but it seems like a wash.  I like Lind, he's a great half a player, but his inability to hit LHPs is hard to ignore and his being solely a 1B/DH has taken away from his value.

Where was he going to play?  He hasn't taken to the OF in 5 years so it was 1B or DH -- and there was no way he was going to displace AP.   You can say he could have DHed but how much better would he have been than what we already had there?  The dude hit .256/.339/.389 the second half of last season.  CJ Cron -- the guy most people would have traded to get him went .258/.304/.451.  He certainly got on base at a better clip than Cron but it seems like a wash.  I like Lind, he's a great half a player, but his inability to hit LHPs is hard to ignore and his being solely a 1B/DH has taken away from his value.

Good analysis.  How did you type this with both hands full (avatar)?

Edited by NorCal Halo

He traded three 19 year olds with live arms -- one of them having thrown a no-hitter last year for one season of half a 1st baseman... Adam Lind is strictly a platoon bat -- he couldnt hit on the road last year either...

Imagine the outcry if Eppler had done that.. Or if he had traded Trumbo AND a reliever for the Orioles third string catcher -- which he's also done this offseason.

yep. I like lind, hed be a great platoon option, but thats it, hes a platoon option. Nothing wrong with that, just something that cant be ignored

I'm curious to know what philosophies and ideas Dipoto has that's different from other GM's.

I'm curious to know what philosophies and ideas Dipoto has that's different from other GM's.

Yeah it's hard to guage since teams don't really make their proprietary formulas and analyses public knowledge. Guess the only real way to tell is if he takes a team that consistently overperforms what they'd be expected to do 'on paper'.

There may be a specific tenet or two that leaks out, but how does anyone really guage if it's the end all be all to successful team building? That randomness is part of why I love baseball so much.