• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I'm pretty sure the Angels will be going after Heyward

beatlesrule

As some others here have speculated, the Simmons trade could be a precursor to a Heyward signing. I think it's definitely in the plans. AS used to be Heywards teammate and the youth and defense both bring the Angels something that doesn't come along very often. I think the Angels #1 priority is now Jason Heyward.

Only thing that worries me about upton is he might be the kind of guy who gets paid and slows it down...cant base it on anything, just a hunch.

Racist.

All joking aside, I hear you but I also look at Upton and see a guy who seems to still have untapped potential and may thrive not being the #1 guy. I still could see a .290, 35 HR season or two from him. Plus he's a couple years younger than Cespedes and will cost less than Heyward.

I look at Cespedes and see a guy with one great year which just happens to be his contract year, with a couple mediocre years before it. I think he's one of the more overrated players in baseball.

As far as Heyward goes, he seems to be both over and underrated. He also has a potential performance spike with the bat that would turn him into a star. But unlike Cespedes or Upton he's going to be paid partially based upon potential, which is risky.

Cespedes wouldn't cost a pick so that would be nice for a team without a farm

Yes, and that is an added benefit to signing him, but that one pick won't rebuild the draft and likely won't impact Trout's current contract.

It looks like Eppler is going to prioritize making the most of the next 5 year.

Hahaha, seriously AJ, i knew even writing that was gonna get the inevitable "racist" stamp, which if anyone else wrote it would have been me

Agree on all fronts. I like cespedes, but the oakland version is the most likely. Good player, not star. Pop, low obp. Cannon arm, mediocre defense. Reminds me of trumbo, who we could probably get for a lot less.

Upton i see at worst as a .270 guy with 20 home runs and 15-20 stolen bases. But he could also be a .290 guy with 30 home runs, and another "threat bat" to open a game up if trout doesnt.

My only concern is just that hes never really turned the corner after the last few years. Maybe its just he played over his head early on. Who knows. But his production over the last two seasons, and his brothers rep, just have my wondering if its an effort thing.

Id still prefer him over heyward, but thats just me. I get why people like heyward...its just that IF we do spend this year, we likely wont again for a while...and once pujols completely falls apart, is heyward the other middle of the order guy to put us over the top? I dont see that being the case

It's kind of interesting, but this off season could set us up for the team we will be living with for the next five years.  Looking at each position is shakes out like this:

1B:  Pujols through 2019, unless his body totally falls apart before then.

2B:  Sign a good free agent, and we're good through 2019 for sure.

3B:  If Cowert or Kubitza emerge, or we resign Freeze, we are good through 2018 at a minimum or 2020 at best.

SS:  Simmons through 2020.

C:  Perez, Bandy, Ward could be a good path for the next 4 years.

RF:  Calhoun with an extension could be good through 2018 - 2020.

CF:  Trout forever or at least 2021.

LF:  Sign a good free agent and we're good through 2020 or more.  Eventually we might have Jones work his way here.

DH:  Cron for now, but upgrade over the course of the next few years with someone who can also play defense (preferably 1B).

Bench:  Needs help, but it could be manned by Giovotella, Cowgill, a backup catcher, and the loser of Cowert/Kubitza.

Pitching:  Continue to build it up over the next 4-5 years through the draft, and development of the current guys after the Newcomb/Ellis departure.

I expect Ward and others being dealt momentarily...... Where are all the ex-Rockies and D-Backs we used to have around here when you want to purge the former GM's farm?

Eppler delisted the states of Arizona and Colorado.  We are now mining Georgia.  No, not the Georgia you knew in high school, the State.