• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Simmons Trade: Good & Bad

Angelsjunky

The Good

• Best defensive player in the majors. If you buy into Fangraphs Defensive Runs at all Simmons has 77.5 over the last three years, which is a huge amount more than number two (52.8). He's basically Ozzie Smith.
  • He could improve with the bat. As Fangraphs said, if he improves a bit then he's a superstar.
  • Oh yeah, five affordable years.
  • The pitching staff should benefit, especially ground baller Garrett Richards (who may now be the ace Eppler says he is).

The Bad

• Sean Newcomb is gone - the only really good prospect the Angels had, and the pitcher with the highest upside in the entire organization.
  • Too bad about Ellis, but he was more a late rotation type.
  • No qualifying offer to Aybar = no draft pick compensation.
  • Jose Briceno sucks. He hit .183/.215/.267 in A+ ball last year.

OK, losing Newcomb hurts - and could really hurt in a couple years - but even if Simmons doesn't improve, he's still already the second best position player on the team and improves the pitching staff substantially. I'm going to give Eppler the benefit of the doubt on this one. If Newcomb doesn't live up to our high hopes and Simmons improves just a bit, he looks like a genius. Of course if Simmons doesn't hit any better and loses a tick with the glove, and Newcomb fulfills his potential, then....

f'n Eppler.

Through 4 career seasons:

Andrelton Simmons (499 G)

15.2 dWAR, 113 DRS, 61 TZR

Ozzie Smith (582 G)

10.8 dWAR, 42 DRA, 41 TZR

@HardballStats: #Angels Andrelton Simmons is third among all MLB players with 113 defensive runs saved since 2008. He made his MLB debut on June 2, 2012.

@HardballStats: #Angels Andrelton Simmons is the only player in MLB history to have a 3.5+ defensive WAR in three consecutive seasons (2013-15).

I hated the Freese trade and didn't like the Street trade. Strangely, I'm on board with this trade. I do think the Angels overpaid a bit, which is a bummer not because we lost Newcomb/Ellis but we lost some trade currency to get other guys. But I think this deal signifies 2 things: 1) defense is going to be very important to Eppler, particularly up the middle and 2) we are all in over the next 4-5 years. 

If he dealt those 2, he must either really like our depth or think he can replenish, possibly with an ace, off FA. I also don't think it is a coincidence that Eppler lauds Richards as an ace and the next day grabs the best defensive SS in baseball. Richards was top 5 in groundball % last season.

I'm very curious how the rest of this offseason plays out. I think someone like Heyward is seriously in play now. 

Enough better to give up your 2 best prospects?

If it was the 2 best prospects in the MLB, than no it's not worth it.  But this is the 2 best Angels prospects.  And no matter how good Scotty says they are.  I think Newcomb was ranked 24th in the MLB.  And Ellis wasn't even ranked.  

So giving up the 24th best prospect for 5 years of the best SS in the MLB, to play along with the best player in the MLB for those 5 years.

I'm good with it.

I love the Simmons & Aybar part.....I get why Newcomb was added.....

But, then to add in Ellis who was another asset we could have dealt somewhere else?......

I'm 75% behind this overall deal.

And Simmons can straight out Pick it!

Yeah, that's the part that bugs me a bit. Feels like the "Grichuk" addition in the Freese trade.