• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols had foot surgery - may miss opening day

Didn't Albert have surgery that was supposed to "cure the plantar fascia issue he's had for years" a couple years ago?

At some point we've all got to accept that Albert is what he is: A league average first baseman making $25 million a year.

@MikeDiGiovanna: For those asking: Albert Pujols' plantar fascia tear in 2013 was on left foot. Last week's surgery was on right foot. #Angels

This feels like a yearly thing. Albert gets some sort of surgery on his lower body in the offseason....proclaims himself to be 100% healthy, then by June his lower body implodes again and gives out on him. He's a hobbled mess the remainder of the year and gets more surgery the next offseason

They've had him for 4 years and he's already had 3 surgeries now I believe? Knee surgery and now 2 surgeries on both his feet. Lol

I'm like some of the others here. Why wait until now if he knew he needed to have this done?

1. Maybe he was advised that it might respond to treatment, and if so surgery would not be necessary, as happened to his. Left foot in 2013.

2. How many of you when presented with imprecise data in this regard would rush to have immediate surgery? I would want more than one opinion.

3. Doctors doing orthopedic surgery these days take time to schedule things, tests have to be done, operating space obtained, and surgeon's have to work it into their schedule. I've had friends who have had to wait months for orthopedic surgeries. Yeah, he's high profile so he can shortcut this to some extent but not completely.

I don't have any details here, that's patient confidential information. So everything on this subject is speculation. I'm just pointing out the complexities of this type of situation. Let's not jump to the conclusion that he delayed just hoping to avoid surgery because he hoped it would improve without it.

Edited by tomsred

Didn't Albert have surgery that was supposed to "cure the plantar fascia issue he's had for years" a couple years ago?

At some point we've all got to accept that Albert is what he is: A league average first baseman making $25 million a year.

It tore on it's own, so he didn't nee the surgery

1. Maybe he was advised that it might respond to treatment, and if so surgery would not be necessary, as happened to his. Left foot in 2013.

This is quite possible. This is a ligament issue, and unless the problem is severe or repeatedly recurs, rehabilitation, rest and anti-inflammatory drugs are usually what is recommended. I'm dealing with a second flareup of deQuervain's tenosynovitis in my left wrist within the past year, and I have been told no surgery, just rest and rehab. The last time this happened, I was in a wrist immobilizer for a month.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

This is quite possible. This is a ligament issue, and unless the problem is severe or repeatedly recurs, rehabilitation, rest and anti-inflammatory drugs are usually what is recommended. I'm dealing with a second flareup of deQuervain's tenosynovitis in my left wrist within the past year, and I have been told no surgery, just rest and rehab. The last time this happened, I was in a wrist immobilizer for a month.

Sorry to hear of your problem.  In many cases surgery is no sure thing, and carries some risk.  Being in a hospital these days carries some risk.  I can completely understand why people don't want to rush into surgeries if the problem can possibly be solved in a more benign way.  More is at risk than a schedule, a baseball season, it a person's life we're talking about.

Edited by tomsred

This feels like a yearly thing. Albert gets some sort of surgery on his lower body in the offseason....proclaims himself to be 100% healthy, then by June his lower body implodes again and gives out on him. He's a hobbled mess the remainder of the year and gets more surgery the next offseason

They've had him for 4 years and he's already had 3 surgeries now I believe? Knee surgery and now 2 surgeries on both his feet. Lol

Yep. The odds of him staying injury free after a long run of problems at his age are about as favorable as the Phillies winning the next six titles. This is who he is now, someone who can still hit really well when healthy but is healthy so rarely that his value is very low.

Not true, he's had two surgeries, a minor knee one, and this one.  His left foot plantar problem was cured when it tore completely, sidestepping the need for surgery on it.

Guys we're talking about a person's medical problems here, I don't think he is planning these events so he doesn't have to play or something.  This stuff is very painful, it carries risks for the quality of his life (during and after baseball). 

I have a new found appreciation for the injuries these guys suffer, I recently tore my right hamstring, and the sucker hurts a lot.  These things are a real pain in the butt, and take a long time to deal with and recover.  I think fans just tend to see these injuries occur, and feel like just get a surgeon to fix it, a couple of aspirins and he should be ready to go.  Injuries are no fun, they hurt a lot, in many cases they impair greatly what you can do, and take for granted doing.  It's not all that easy. 

Edited by tomsred