• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Boston bomber be treated as an enemy combatant?

I do not always agree with MT on these forums, but when i do i do so emphatically.

We cannot and must not continue the path we are going down giving away everything we supposedly stand for in the name of "security".. who they are or what they have done are irrelvant to the ideals we claim to hold dear, they must be followed no matter what the crime.

I agree with him getting his due-process as a Citizen... until any ties to a terrorist organization come to light.  Then he should get the enemy-combatant treatment.

I don't agree with all the points of the Patriot Act, but the Miranda-exception is an important tool in the war on terror.  It really applies to this case;  All Law Enforcement in Boston needed to talk to this guy in the event they had already set-up more devices, and/or booby-trapped their lair.

I agree with him getting his due-process as a Citizen... until any ties to a terrorist organization come to light. Then he should get the enemy-combatant treatment.

I don't agree with all the points of the Patriot Act, but the Miranda-exception is an important tool in the war on terror. It really applies to this case; All Law Enforcement in Boston needed to talk to this guy in the event they had already set-up more devices, and/or booby-trapped their lair.

What if he and his brother were the terrorist organization? How big does the organization have to be for it to count? Is there a list of acceptable terrorist organizations?

Agreed HM, no reason to even look down that rabbit hole.

I'm not a fan of the enemy combatant argument at all.  To me it's an end run around the constitution and the geneva convention.

Regardless, this crime should be dealt with by our Constitutional legal system.  It's good enough for anyone and any crime.

What if he and his brother were the terrorist organization? How big does the organization have to be for it to count? Is there a list of acceptable terrorist organizations?

They didn't know if it was bigger than just the two. I agree with the safety exception as it would not be wise to wait and see if more bombs go off. As of now, he's been mirandized since they determined they acted alone.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between being tried as a civilian v. enemy combatant?

The difference is mostly in being held, not being tried (although there are some very severe differences in how they are tried). Most "enemy combatants" are never actually tried.

They didn't know if it was bigger than just the two. I agree with the safety exception as it would not be wise to wait and see if more bombs go off. As of now, he's been mirandized since they determined they acted alone.

Does not reading him his rights somehow make him speak honestly and openly?

You start with a question then answer it without knowing what the bombers associations and funding are. That is a conclusion without having the facts.

One association the bomber has is with the United States of America where he happens to be a citizen. To many, mt included I believe, that is the most important thing. No other conclusions have been drawn as far as I can tell.

If the older brother had survived, I say yes to him being tried as an enemy combatant. For now, I'll say no for the younger one.

see, this is the part i find troubling... you cannot make exceptions, we either follow our own laws and apply them equally to all, or we stop pretending we are a nation based on self eviodent triutchs.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between being tried as a civilian v. enemy combatant?

I believe, the big difference is Constitution and laws of the US, vs International law.  Mainly laws of war.  

For instance, I believe in Laws of War, you can detain someone as long as the war is going on without trial.  Where as in the US, the accused has the right to a speedy trial.