• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick : Most unclutch player ever?

Here's the 2012 Fangraphs "clutch" statistic leaderboard. This stat is bascially the differnece between how well a player does on average, and how well they do in high leverage situations:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,a

Howie Kendrick was the second least clutch player in 2012, with a "clutch" of -2.43. Josh Reddick was the least clutch at -3.83

Another interesting statistic is Win Probability Added. This is the probability the team will win both before and after a play involving a given player. Let's say the Angels have runners at first and third with one out in the bottom of the ninth. Let's say this is a 60% chance for a win. If Howie Kendrick comes up and grounds into a double play to end the game, he is charged with negative 0.6 wins in his WPA.*

Per WPA, Kendrick was the 5th least valuable player in MLB with -2.25 wins. Delmon Young was the worst at -3.15 wins.

Aside: I like the WAR statistic but don't think it should be called "wins". WPA is a true zero sum statistic, with units of "wins" -- if you add up all the WPA for every player on the team and it does, in reality, add up to that teams' win total. Not so for WAR. Note that Howie had a WAR of +3 (same as Jered Weaver). A more than 5 game differential compared to reality.

*This actually happened on 9/11/12. A good friend paid an outrageous amount of money to attend the game on his birthday and complained to me about it on the phone)

The final pitch of that at bat was low but dead center of the plate.

He can't lay off anything low and away.  Never gonna be anything more than average because of it.

PS Back up off my handle son.  I own the Quinlan rhyming.

Angels cant win a world series with a player who is terrible at situational hitting and folds under pressure like kendrick.

If we wanna win, we gotta trade kendrick and put callaspo at 2nd,  kendrick is just not a championship caliber player...he belongs on a team of losers like the astros.

Angels cant win a world series with a player who is terrible at situational hitting and folds under pressure like kendrick.

If we wanna win, we gotta trade kendrick and put callaspo at 2nd,  kendrick is just not a championship caliber player...he belongs on a team of losers like the astros.

That was one of the silliest posts I have read in a long time.

I agree, and there have been some very silly posts this month

f7ap75l.gif
THAT.....was freaking clutch.

Thanks Howie (by way of IE)