• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not Cespedes?

19HALO71

What if the best option is perhaps Justin Upton ? He can play the field well, can run, and is a legit MOTO bat.  Chris Davis is also that kind of bat, We could stick him at 1b to alternate DH'ing duties with Albert. 

Currently the Angels have Cron for that. I think the better usage of money would be in a position where the Angels have no real production and that is left field.

If it comes down to Cespedes or Heyward, I'm good with either.  Heyward gives us the leadoff bat we need and a bit of speed.  Cespedes gives us a bit more power and a terrific arm in LF.  I think that aspect is a bit underrated.  I've already accepted that if we get either one it's gonna cost a shit-ton of money.  Thanks, ettin, for the primer!  I honestly mean that.  It was good perspective.

Oh yeah, Calhoun's .256 batting average and .308 on base percentage just screams moto bat.

IMO, this should be getting more attention on here than it is. Its not that i dont like calhoun, and hes still young enough to improve. But lets assume he puts up similar numbers going forward...hes more of a 6 hitter than top 5.

People used to complain about trumbos bat, but last season it was pretty much a left handed version from kole (obviously with a better glove and baserunning)

IMO, this should be getting more attention on here than it is. Its not that i dont like calhoun, and hes still young enough to improve. But lets assume he puts up similar numbers going forward...hes more of a 6 hitter than top 5.

People used to complain about trumbos bat, but last season it was pretty much a left handed version from kole (obviously with a better glove and baserunning)

Spot-on.  Kole circled the drain from about mid-August on (or so it seems to me, feel free to correct me).  There's no guarantee he turns back into something special.  

What if the best option is perhaps Justin Upton ? He can play the field well, can run, and is a legit MOTO bat. Chris Davis is also that kind of bat, We could stick him at 1b to alternate DH'ing duties with Albert.

upton is my pick, by far. People have me interested in heyward, but wed still need a moto bat. Cespedes i like but dont see him as being worth what hes gonna get (good power, mediocre on base skill).

Upton to me makes the most sense. Can hit for power, decent average, play defense, run, etc.

The chris davis idea ive been toying with recently too. Sign him and span for LF/lead off. Trade for a prado/plouf/walker type. Do that, keep gio at 2B of we solve 3B (with david/parra), or give it to kubitza/cowart with walker at 2B. Then we're in business

And another 8th inning pitcher

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

I have my doubts about Cron, though I agree that the necessity for the role that Davis would play is not necessarily a priority for us.  Upton is concerning in his own ways, but I think he potentially fills our needs quite well.  I also am very interested in Heyward but we dont have room for 2 outfielders unless Calhoun is moved which doesn't really make sense money wise.  Its an interesting choice because they would play different roles.  Upton is obviously the MOTO power bat and Heyward is the top of the order on base guy.  If you aren't sold on Cron, we need both.  Lol, I mean this is just covering a couple of our problems.  Hopefully Arte opens up the wallet...Eppler has his work cut out for him.

Upton is another option that would work. He's averaged 3.79 WAR/season since 2009 and he'll be playing his age 28 season next year. He strikes out a lot and as a result won't hit for average but he walks, hits for good power and gives you above average defense in LF. My guess is he gets somewhere between 125-150 million dollars, partially due to his age. 

Upton to me is the best bet for the moto. Like him a lot better than cespedes. Only concern is ive heard he has motivation issues...pay him the money, and he could lose even more motivation.

Cant confirm that though. Could be total BS. Still like him better than cespedes, just think hes a more complete player

I haven't heard anything like this, but it certainly seemed to be true for his brother.

It's nice to get a big game free agent but is it really necessary? I guess over paying for a free agent is the easiest path. All you have to be is the highest bidder.

The team had one of the best offenses in 2014. The only real bat missing was Howie/Iannetta. I would look at the trade root more into fixing our offense or under the radar free agents.

I'm not sold on Perez just yet ... like to see another catcher in the mix with some pop. Murphy has a option for 7M you might have to consider. There's many different directions you can go without spilling your load on one player unless it's for a legit #1 SP.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I'd definitely love to see something like this next year

1) Heyward

2) Trout

3) Pujols

4) Zobrist / Walker / Murphy

5) Calhoun

6) Cron

7) Aybar

8) Perez / Wieters

9) Cowert

:D

We really need to spend money

I'm on board with this line-up.

You need to have lunch with Eppler ASAP!

Boras is seeking $150M-200M for Chris Davis. Pass

If he could stay healthy.  He is a monster.  But he seems to suffer from every other year disease.  

The thing going for him is, he is the first base FA option.  According to Cot's, this is a pretty weak 1B class.  So he actually may get overpaid more than the OF options that is very deep.  Just supply and demand.  

The Angels really struggled putting runners in front of Trout so I'd vote for a leadoff hitter.

It would be a lot harder to pitch around him if he batted with more runners on base. An added plus if the guy on base is a threat to steal, so Trout would see more fastballs.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Can Wieters stay healthy though, even if only catching about 50 games a season, and DHing the other 80-100 games he starts?

Perez seems to be equipped to catch around 110-120 games a season from now on.

But will the O's make Wieters a QO, which would necessitate giving up a draft pick?

He won't get a QO, but some team might end up significantly overpaying based on his name value. If he gets a contract in line with his actual performance it should be closer to 2/22 or 3/30.