• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why not Cespedes?

19HALO71

The guy flat out plays hard. He beat out a grounder to short stop lastnight. I'm not one for stats but it seems that wherever he plays, the team responds to his energy.

I say make him a priority target.

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Cespedes

5. Pujols

6. Cron

7. Perez

8. Aybar

9. Giovatella

That would be fun to watch.

Cespedes and a REAL leadoff guy at 2B (Gordon?) would be a nice upgrade.

No more age 30+ players who are declining and have either a lot of wear (Pujols) or extensive past issues (Hamilton and drugs)!

Cespedes has only played MLB ball for 4 seasons.    They didn't play lengthy seasons in Cuba.

Seems like he would have at least 4-5 good years in him.

He's a righty hitter who won't be hurt by Angel Stadium like lefty sluggers are.

He also wins wherever he goes, usually getting to the post-season.

Heyward at possibly 10 years/$180 million is a lot of cash for a guy who is a gap hitter.

No more age 30+ players who are declining and have either a lot of wear (Pujols) or extensive past issues (Hamilton and drugs)!

Cespedes has only played MLB ball for 4 seasons.    They didn't play lengthy seasons in Cuba.

Seems like he would have at least 4-5 good years in him.

He's a righty hitter who won't be hurt by Angel Stadium like lefty sluggers are.

Heyward at possibly 10 years/$180 million is a lot of cash for a guy who is a gap hitter.

Cespedes turns 30 next week so I guess you can cross him off your list. He has been passed around almost as much as Victors Mom and there is no telling what went through his bloodstream this season to suddenly take such a career jump in stats. He is a big ass warning sign flashing regression.

IMO, I think Cespedes would fit well with the Angels.  As you have listed, he would fit well at the #4 slot.  He has a potential to be a .900+ OPS player.  Out of his 4 years, .861, .737, .751, .870 OPS.  He's had 82, 80, 100, and 105 RBI's which is what you want from a #4 hitter.  Career RISP is .881.  He's at least played in the AL before.  His OBP isn't high.  But I'd rather have a hitter that can do his job at the #4 and hit in the people on base, than walk and make someone else do his job.  He's also 29, which could be a 33.  He will be expensive, but he won't cost a pick. 

Again, IMO, he's the best fit of the FA outfielders for the Angels needs.  

IMO, I think Cespedes would fit well with the Angels.  As you have listed, he would fit well at the #4 slot.  He has a potential to be a .900+ OPS player.  Out of his 4 years, .861, .737, .751, .870 OPS.  He's had 82, 80, 100, and 105 RBI's which is what you want from a #4 hitter.  Career RISP is .881.  He's at least played in the AL before.  His OBP isn't high.  But I'd rather have a hitter that can do his job at the #4 and hit in the people on base, than walk and make someone else do his job.  He's also 29, which could be a 33.  He will be expensive, but he won't cost a pick. 

Again, IMO, he's the best fit of the FA outfielders for the Angels needs.  

He's pretty tempting, yes?  My issue is the OBP.  You state that you want him swinging, and I agree.  However, the other part of OBP that is equally important is the strike zone judgement that goes with it.  When this guy starts to slow down, and he will, I want to know that he has another, equally significant skill set to offset the slower bat.  

I always think about Vlad and how he regressed.  He just couldn't lay off and he couldn't just take the walk.  Wasn't in him.  I'm concerned that Cespedes will be THAT guy.  

Cespedes reminds me of the movie Draft Day. I feel like Sonny trying to talk another GM out of wasting his pick on Bo Callahan.

"Every year, someone comes out of this looking like a donkey, Can you hear me?" 

"Yeah."

"Good, 'cause Tomorrow, I got a feeling it could be you."

I feel Cespedes is this years Bo Callahan, a #1 pick with all the hype but if you pass on him and take a couple of lower rated players you're better off.

Or maybe he is Beltre, if you pass you will regret it.

The question is do you drop all your cash on one player position and leave other positions of need in lesser hands and if Cespedes turns out to be only the guy that the A's traded, basically a 110 OPS+ player, haven't you screwed the team long term?

Cespedes has only played MLB ball for 4 seasons. They didn't play lengthy seasons in Cuba.

Seems like he would have at least 4-5 good years in him.

Heyward. at possibly 10 years/$180 million is a lot of cash for a guy who is a gap hitter.

Uhhh AO you do realize that Cespedes turns 30 this week right? :)

No argument, Heyward is a solid player and I would be more inclined to invest in him as our leadoff hitter over Cespedes as a power bat.

Don't get me wrong man, I'd take either. My money is on Arte splurging for some BP help and some bench pieces like the last few years. 

*sigh*

EDIT: 1. Heyward 2. Calhoun 3. Trout 4. Cespedes 5. Pujols 

Sounds sexy. 

Edited by laagamer

My fear though is, we spend $20+ million on Heyward, and find we still need a bat to hit people in.  Heyward will not score runs for the Angels.  He has never in his career been a run producer.  And the Angels need people that can score runs.  You can walk and get to first all you want.  But it's been decades since this team was a runnyball first to third to home team.  

We need someone that will hit Trout in, and not someone that will get on before Trout.  Trout advances him.  And Pujols ends the inning.  

Again, IMO, you do not spend $20 million over 5+ years on a #1 or #2 hitter.  You do not spend $20 million on a hitter that in the past does not hit above a .800 OPS.  

Puig is 24 and apparently a club house cancer. Sounds like a good fit in my books.

I'd still take him over the outrageous money for the likes of Cepedes or Hayward.

Although, I don't see the Dodgers wanting to trade him. Dodgers will be trading one of their outfielders.

Edited by Troll Daddy