• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Free agency

seenoevil

Not a whole lot on that list for us (or, at least what we can afford).

I agree with an earlier post -- the name that sticks out to me on that list is Cespedes -- I wish the Angels would have done what it would have taken to get him in a deadline deal this (now) past season rather than letting him go to the NY Mets.

He has made a real difference in that Mets line up.

I think the Mets will do what it takes to re-sign him (if they don't it is a big mistake).

on the starting pitcher listing - the guy I like for us on that list is Fister -- I say this because obviously the best pick on the rotation guys available is Price who I am sure will be with a different team next year -- I just don't think the Halos have the budget flexibility to pay what it's going to take to win the Price sweep-stakes --

on the list of relief pitchers -- not much there -- a roster area where we really need some help -- I don't see much out there on that list.

DiSar 'has to go" talk ???  You guys are killing me.

although, even I have to agree -- when your team leads the league (or so it seems) in guys thrown out at third base and home plate -- there's something going on there with your third base coach.

just the other day -- what was Calhoun doing running into the third out at the plate as if he's almost running off the field ASSUMING the third out on the force play at second ?? So they blow that play and then make up for it by tossing out a jogging Calhoun at home....

and then, in a game the Halos won, Victorino -- a veteran ballplayer brought in for the stretch run - almost pulls a Merkle's play (long ago NY Giants base running error) by not running to second base (when he's on first base) on the game winning single.........if the other team stays awake they could have touched second with the ball and had Victorino out on a force play......

Victorino?? He's been in MLB for what? 12 seasons and he pulls a knucklehead play like that -- where's the base coaches -- although once the celebration breaks out and the runner does that, at that point the best bet might be to keep your trap shut rather than alerting the other team...........

Our catchers next yr are Perez and Bandy right? Is perez ready to be the every day catcher?

Perez will catch less next year than he did this year. Iannetta'sIannetta grew into a liability behind the plate and in the batter's box. Good guy as he is, they needed more. Bandy won't hit for average like Carlos or make his contact, but he will get on base and flash more power. Defensively, he's a slightly lesser defender but has plus athleticism. He's also earned praise from pitchers, they love to work with him the same way they enjoy Perez. Quite a few pitchers have posted better numbers in their career with Bandy than anyone else. He quickly becomes a clubhouse favorite.

He should catch 70 games or so next year with Perez doing 90.

Give me a LF'er, Re-sign Murphy as a 4th OF, and get some RP.

This might be the most realistic course of action. Target a good left-fielder, bring back Murphy as depth, and sign a pen arm or two to replace some of the mediocrity there.

Doing much more than that (e.g., signing Price, Greinke, Kendrick, etc.) probably is a pipe dream given this team's financial constraints.

Edited by wopphil

First and foremost, the Angels should not (nor do I think they will) give up their first round pick.  As of this morning, they will pick in slot 20.  It's not great, but it should be protected at all costs.  

Price and someone for left field.  Not Cespedes, who I believe is fool's gold.  I also wouldn't be averse to paying somebody a lot of money to take Wilson and Weaver's last year and getting some decent prospects back.  Someone like the Dodgers who have a need at the back end of their staff.  

If the Angels are going to go over the luxury tax this is the year to do it. They have a lot of money coming off the books after next season. So getting what you need now and just paying the tax for one year isn't going to kill them. I think they have something like $50 Million coming off the books after next season, most of it is CJ Wilson and Weaver.

I would love to see the Angels get Price and Justin Upton. Upton would probably cost us or first round pick however.

You're right. I'm personally not big on having to save a first round pick. This isn't the NFL or NBA where your first round pick is going to contribute right away. It all comes down to how good are your scouts. The MLB draft is huge and chances are most of you're really good players are going to come from the later rounds anyway.

I'd like to see the Angels trade for Trevor Plouffe. He has 2 years left of club control at age 29. He's a SoCal guy. Twins need a place to put Sano and 3B is his natural position.

Then, I would like a true leadoff hitter. Someone with an OBP at least north of .330. Maybe take a chance on Span and ask him to play LF?

Great minds think alike! I like Plouffe too

If you really want to load up on OBP and improve run production, scratch going after a David Price type and load up on offense, signing Span, Zobrist and Chris Davis. 

How about this?

LF Span

2B Zobrist

CF Trout

1B Davis

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun

C  Bandy/Perez

SS Aybar

3B Cowart/Kubitza (or if Freese will take a discount or comes cheap, sign him too).

Starting Pitchers:

Richards

Heaney

Smyly

Skaggs

Weaver

Tropeano or Shoemaker (Newcomb to come)

Trade Santiago & C.J. Cron to the Rays for Drew Smyly

The span idea has been growing with me. That would actually be a pretty good fit. The only problem is that it still leaves us power starved. Not saying we need a bonafide all star, but it would be nice to have another 25 home run guy that can get on base above average to drive someone in when trout doesnt.like mark68 said, another power guy to move pujols to the 5th spot i think does a lot of good. If you somehow can do that plus add a span type to leadoff, we likely at minimum get back to a middle of the pack offense.

Do that and fix the pen and were right back in it. I agree with everyone that an ace pitcher would be nice, but we need to fix the offense first

The span idea has been growing with me. That would actually be a pretty good fit. The only problem is that it still leaves us power starved. Not saying we need a bonafide all star, but it would be nice to have another 25 home run guy that can get on base above average to drive someone in when trout doesnt.like mark68 said, another power guy to move pujols to the 5th spot i think does a lot of good. If you somehow can do that plus add a span type to leadoff, we likely at minimum get back to a middle of the pack offense.

Do that and fix the pen and were right back in it. I agree with everyone that an ace pitcher would be nice, but we need to fix the offense first

Yeah, if we can load up some OBP guys like Zobrist and/or Span atop the order and sign Chris Davis (47 bombs, 88 walks) to hit cleanup and share time at 1B/DH with Pujols, our offense is fine. Calhoun and Pujols are more of a 5th & 6th in the order type guys IMO. 

If the Angels can somehow get Span, Zobrist, and Davis... I think that would be a pretty damn good off season and should increase offensive production big time. I still think we would need a real ace. Richards just doesn't do it for me. I think he's a good 2 or 3 guy. I just think getting a Price or Grienke is much needed.

If the Angels can somehow get Span, Zobrist, and Davis... I think that would be a pretty damn good off season and should increase offensive production big time. I still think we would need a real ace. Richards just doesn't do it for me. I think he's a good 2 or 3 guy. I just think getting a Price or Grienke is much needed.

How often do the Angels go back to the well for players who were here before? I think that and Greinke's desire to stay in the NL (not to mention he'$ coming off probably his be$t $ea$on) probably ensures he won't be coming here.

Because no lefty power hitter has truly flourished here since GA through the mid 2000s, I am of course leery of bringing any lefty power hitter in here for a big contract.

As powerful as Chris Davis is, can anyone blame me for that?

I hear you on this AO, but Calhoun (while not being a big power guy) did hit 26 HRs this year with 16 coming at home.