• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Free agency

seenoevil

Personally, I want to preach fiscal responsibility. Just because you CAN purchase somebody, doesn't mean you should. There isn't ONE player that can fix everything. The Angels need someone to get on base in front of Trout, and a another to hit behind him and knock him in.

1. Trade Santiago for a RH platoon bat in RF. Looking at Calhoun's splits hurts. This would be a cost effective way to improve the offense. Move Calhoun down in the order.

2. Re-up Murphy, but in a 4th OF role. We need a bat off the bench to provide depth.

3. Sign Span for LF. He improves the defense and gets on base for Trout.

4. Trade Giavotella for a middle relief pitcher to slot in the 6th or 7th inning.

5. Sign Kendrick. This improves the Angels defensively, and puts another run producer in the middle of the lineup.

6. Let Bandy and Kubitza take over platoon catcher and third base. It puts another LHB in the lineup as well as increased OBP, power and defense at key positions.

7. Sign Willie Bloomquist as UTIF.

Build a lineup of LF Span CF Trout 2B Kendrick DH Pujols RF Calhoun 1B Cron SS Aybar C Perez/Bandy 3B Kubitza.

For a team that should cost nothing more than the luxury tax, we'll have improved defense, created a deeper bullpen, improved the clubhouse, and most importantly, build a STEADY offense by sandwiching Trout with Span and Kendrick, and Pujols with Kendrick and Calhoun, Calhoun with Pujols and Cron. When you build something like that, you have someone stepping up every night.

Nice 83 win club you've built

The Plouffe idea I read in another thread is actually a good idea. Package Santiage for Plouffe, sign Heyward, sign Leake, get a couple bullpen arms and this team should be better.

1. Heyward

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Plouffe

5. Pujols

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Perez

9. Giavotella

1. Richards

2. Leake

3. Heaney

4. Skaggs

5. Wilson

Now that I'm writing this that's 4/5 lefties on the rotation. Signing a right handed starter would probably be best

I was interested in looking at Chris Davis at the trade deadline and no one agreed with me.  He then proceeded to hit 24+ Bombs since the July trade deadline. He is the only lefty power bat from the AL that is on the market that has averaged over .270 at the BIG A since 2010.

Hitting side:

1. Chris Davis- Becomes the first baseman moving Albert to fulltime DH.

2. Desmond--- Had a rough year defensively but solid pop and rbi guy and he is young and a leader.

3. I'm interested in Matt Wieters to a point being a switch hitter helps. The back/TJ and nagging injuries don't help. I'm not interested in dropping serious coin or 5 year deal for him either.

4a. Resign/pickup option of David Murphy - 4th OF 

4b. Look at a 1+1 for Freese I liked his September and of course when he was out we had no one who could fill the void.

5. On the infield/utility spot. I'm interested in looking at Mike Aviles or Ben Zorbrist also. This person needs to be able to hit #1 and play a handful of positions at an above average rate. Featherston though I understand why he was kept (RULE V) his lack of production from that spot was a crush similar to MacDonald the previous year.

6. Though I would love to have Upton, Heyward or Cespedes. I just feel they are going to be too rich for our Budget. Also, the Heyward power drop in the NL scares me a bit. I also, believe that Cespedes stats are NL driven and he will drop back to his AL numbers. Leaving Oakland helped (huge foul territory ***See Zobrists #'s in KC also) going to Boston didn't and the (Love of the Monster pull happy)...

7. Left Fielder....I think I'm in the group of looking for a Slappy Speed guy like Span, Jackson, Davis or Rios....Or, maybe a 1 year rental of Marlon Byrd... Depends on what we could get if we were to trade some guys.

Starting Pitching side:

1. I do believe we need a Top of Rotation Guy.  (Zimmerman, Price, Greinke, Samarwhateva', Ceuto) and even old man horse face stepped it up this year for the Cards....Fister (Though I called his injury concerns his last year in Detroit)

2. I might be interested in the following lower tier guys as a 3/4th guy (Leake, Iwakuma, Kennedy).... NO CHANCE ON HAPP (That's a dude that has found his love of the pitchers spot in the NL and they call a lower strike zone) (Plus, Searage is an outstanding pitching coach!). I would be interested in a Garcia if we didn't have so many up and coming Lefties of our own.

3. also depends on what we deal from and if we could move CJ & or Weaver....

Bullpen:

1. We need either a 7th inning guy or an 8th inning guy depends on Smith!  (Wade Davis would excite me). One or Two of = O' Day, Soria, Clippard and Benoit wouldn't hurt either. The loser of the 5th spot becomes the long guy in the pen.

2. We need maybe 1/2 of our young lefty starters in the Minors to step up and become that 2 pitch throw hard guys. Who that could be I don't know?

Overall:

I'd move the following as its time for change and they would give us some budget flexibility.

Weaver, CJ Wilson, Aybar.

Also, I'm not going to put up a lineup as SVEN does whatever he wants even if they jump around all over the place and make little sense to anyone but himself...

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

So this just occured to me. A few weeks back i was at the game and was pretty shocked at calhouns OPS. It seemed really low. I just saw his obp, and that explains it.

I mentioned above trumbo would be a good depth guy. He could spell pujols at 1B, split time in RF with calhoun, DH etc. I assume most would chuckle at the idea (and i agree, hes not coming back)

But does anyone else realize calhoun just had a trumbo season? Obviously a better defender, and a better base runner. But i had no clue until just looking up koles numbers a few minutes ago. A .303 obp after a .320 something one isnt at all how ive been viewing him.

I like kole a lot. He reminds me of reddick (lefty that has trouble with lefties, great arm, etc). So im not proposing we move him. But it might help explain (further) where the offense went this year. And i think we all agree kole was the second best hitter on the team this year.

Honestly, scotty might have a good idea...

The Plouffe idea I read in another thread is actually a good idea. Package Santiage for Plouffe, sign Heyward, sign Leake, get a couple bullpen arms and this team should be better.

1. Heyward

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Plouffe

5. Pujols

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Perez

9. Giavotella

1. Richards

2. Leake

3. Heaney

4. Skaggs

5. Wilson

Now that I'm writing this that's 4/5 lefties on the rotation. Signing a right handed starter would probably be best

I like this idea for a lineup the most so far. A lesser number of moves equals a higher probability. Plus, I like Giavotella. He's not the best, but teams need guys like him on the roster.

EDIT: Although, I'd drop Calhoun down between Pujols and Cron. Maybe move up Aybar or Giavotella to the 2 spot.

Edited by xboom28x