• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We need to bring Latos back next year

laagamer

Hear me out.

The kid has a solid track record, and IMO his problems have been mechanical. 

At 27, I'd much rather give him my money and see if he can work through his problems rather than sign someone over 30 for even more money.

I'm officially in the "bring back Latos" wagon. 

EDIT: I function under the opinion that we need pitching more than anything. And for the reduced price and his age, I'd say he's my best bet. 

Edited by laagamer

The way I view Latos, is similar to Tommy Hanson. We traded a GOOD reliever for him because we were banking on a return to form from a young kid that seemingly had a future still.

The difference between the two is that Hanson lost velocity and the ability to spin a breaking ball. Latos wouldn't cost the Angels hardly anything at all, and still has the velocity.

At minimum, I feel Latos will be a good reliever in the future. I think he can still be a decent starter. The Angels seem to have enough starting pitching depth, so unless they make some trades and can promise him a spot, it's hard to see him coming back.

The way I view Latos, is similar to Tommy Hanson. We traded a GOOD reliever for him because we were banking on a return to form from a young kid that seemingly had a future still.

The difference between the two is that Hanson lost velocity and the ability to spin a breaking ball. Latos wouldn't cost the Angels hardly anything at all, and still has the velocity.

At minimum, I feel Latos will be a good reliever in the future. I think he can still be a decent starter. The Angels seem to have enough starting pitching depth, so unless they make some trades and can promise him a spot, it's hard to see him coming back.

Walden..."good" reliever...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 

It really sucks how he can't be on the playoff roster.

I wonder.  Just looking back to 2002.  And maybe there is a loophole.  

But if they DL'd say Weaver.  Who can they replace him with?  The 2002 loophole was the reason why Krod was able to get on the postseason roster after someone went on the DL.  

Probably can't.  But just fun to speculate.

I wonder.  Just looking back to 2002.  And maybe there is a loophole.  

But if they DL'd say Weaver.  Who can they replace him with?  The 2002 loophole was the reason why Krod was able to get on the postseason roster after someone went on the DL.  

Probably can't.  But just fun to speculate.

That loophole got closed because now anyone in the organization as of September 1st can be on the playoff roster, instead of having to be on the 40-man roster. 

one of my co-workers is a dodgers season ticket holder. she said they couldn't stand altos and wanted him gone.

his track record is decent as someone said. not sure what's messed him up this year, but if he can contribute, find a role for him.

I think if you can get him for cheap enough, why not, but the Angels still need a legit ace IMO.

I just cannot get on board with this idea.  Everyone seems to keep saying this.  Yes, I agree it would be nice, but who?  The only people who qualify as legit aces that are free agents (because we should definitely not be depleting our entire farm for one player that only plays every 5 days at most) are Price, Zimmermann, and Cueto.  Cueto is showing why you can never depend on a guy switching to the AL.  Cueto has been awful since coming to the AL.  Zimmermann has had a similar year to Richards only Richards has a reason for having a down year so add that Zimmermann would be switching to the AL and thats not very enticing.  Price is going to get more money than Scherzer.  You really think it is a good idea to throw down $200+ million for a guy who plays every 5 days and is already 30?  Thats just asking for disappointment and another albatross contract.  Have we learned anything??  Fact is any ace is going to cost crazy money.  Any borderline ace is going to be no better than Richards.  Its really not even close to worth rolling the dice on. 

Well Latos also has a significantly better/more extensive track record.  Hanson pitched one full season.  Latos had 4 full seasons where he posted an ERA below 3.50.  Last year he dealt with injuries and still pitched well when he came back.  He has again had injuries this year.  I think if he can show he is healthy he is worth trying to sign and then maybe trade some of the depth to fill other needs.  He should be on the cheap after this year.

Gallardo? No no no no no

Outside of one year he has been a solid 3/4 starter. The Angels are going to have to mostly rely on what they have for SP.  Like I said above, adding a frontline guy just isn't feasible.  If they had a terrible staff with no potential it might make sense, but would still likely be a poor deal in the long run.  Other than the 3 guys I mentioned in my other post there is nobody great.  Gallardo is proven to be relatively solid and has pitched well in a pitchers park in the AL this year.   He would fill a gap that a guy like Santiago would leave if traded.  They could use Santiago to get a prospect or two and then sign someone with experience to shore up the depth.  Wei-Yin Chen is another option.  Can I ask why you are so against Gallardo?  I just think he is a guy they could get for a reasonable amount. 

his peripherals in miami were pretty good and the year before, he only pitched 100 innings but he had a flexor strain which is always concerning.  He likely take a one year deal to reestablish himself but there is still the question of him not being a good teammate.  The good part is that they get a trial run.  So if he seems to get along,  i am all for bringing him back.  Add him and move Santiago for a bat.