• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels begin GM interviews

We had one, remember?

In seasons to come, Dipoto's loss will become more and more talked about as signaling the illness festering in this organization, and the organization will sting at loosing the guy through its own dysfunction.

Yes I remember, but to ignore what Dipoto actually did is ridiculous. He made some great trades and he made some questionable ones. His free agent signings have all basically sucked. I like Dipoto but to ignore the performance of the players he acquired is silly.

We had one, remember?

In seasons to come, Dipoto's loss will become more and more talked about as signaling the illness festering in this organization, and the organization will sting at loosing the guy through its own dysfunction.

I remember he quit on his team and his players. 

Odd then that no established and successful GM is jumping at the opportunity to go to a situation as "great" as the angels

Honestly I don't know who out there is available, that isn't with another team. So maybe you're right. I do know that it's highly unlikely that a current GM would be granted permission to speak to the Angels about their GM position.

Odd then that no established and successful GM is jumping at the opportunity to go to a situation as "great" as the angels

Klentak and Servais must be insane to even interview for the position given what they must know about the organization.

Or finding the right guy, whoever he is....LaCava is 54....Bill Walsh got his chance late as a head coach, first with Stanford and then the 49ers....sometimes the young guy isn't the right guy....

Yea you said it better than me. What I was really getting at is finding the unproven guy that has the ability to be a GM.

I know it is easy to blame Scioscia for his role in the issues with him and Dipoto, but ask yourself this. Why would Klentak or Servais want the job when they were both brought in by Dipoto? Couldn't it be that while they side with Dipoto on his philosophies of running a team, they thought he was wrong in the way he handled the situation? I have also heard that Servais and Scioscia don't get along, but he very well could just want to get his foot in the door as a GM or that he knows Scioscia won't be back. With Klentak he has been linked to other jobs, but still wants this one. I think Dipoto botched this whole thing up, somehow, and yet most of us here put the blame on Scioscia, because well, most on here are tired of the guy or flat out hate him.

Everyone seems to agree that Klentak is a highly qualified candidate but I'm not sure I understand why.

You would think at that level it is going to come down to just a few things. Philosophy, ability to negotiate, and ability to assess talent. I'm guessing he is a smart guy that has degrees and has shown competence in those areas.

So Klentak would be more like Stoneman?

Maybe it's just me but it seems that usually when you think "baseball GM" you're thinking player development.  Former player, manager, scouting director, etc.

Makes me wonder why everyone is so high on Klentak.

Could be the Angels are looking for more of an admin type and then leave player development to someone else.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Stoneman was an accounting major and worked on contracts while he was with the Expos.

Ok so what does that mean?  If we hire another accountant as GM we'll win another World Series?

Talk about your flukes, 2002 was a fluke.

Klentak and Servais must be insane to even interview for the position given what they must know about the organization.

Or, since they're actually in the organization, they don't have overblown message board beliefs and feel the situation is quite manageable.

I personally think the Scioscia/Dipoto conflict was more about their individual personalities than team philosophy. And I think the org has put far more faith into Dipoto/Dipoto's plan than most are giving them credit for (Arte did hire him in the first place, and did try to keep him) and I think that Klentak and Servais stayed on-board and are contenders for the job is further evidence of that.

Unless an outside candidate blows them away, I think it will be Klentak.