• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels begin GM interviews

Interesting..but I kinda expect that's the way it will play out, as it did with Dipoto.

An assistant looking to move up the ladder, is really the best Arte is going to be able to lure in to the pool.

(with that big shark circling below)

Every GM of the 5 AL teams that are leading for playoff spots were hired with no previous GM experience.

Research isn't the devil.

Edited by Lou

Every GM of the 5 AL teams that are leading for playoff spots were hired with no previous GM experience.

Research isn't the devil.

Nice one Lou!  It's so easy to spew out crap without any basis just to amplify an opinion. 

I also do not consider someone like Billy Eppler to be a much of a rookie GM candidate, he's had a ton of experience in probably the most scrutinized baseball market in America.  He's a very desirable baseball executive for virtually any team he wants to be associated with.  Whether he wants to be here, or fits here, are open questions at this point however.

Edited by tomsred

I've been reading conflicting things about Eppler. He's been lauded as a "stats guy" but also as not a stats guy who just uses stats as a tool. So, what's the real answer?

And why is he in the running for every GM opening in baseball but never hired? 

He hasn't been in the running for every GM opening in baseball.  Here's summary:

"Eppler is well versed in the statistics of baseball, using them to sign Edwar Ramírez out of independent baseball. He is considered by many, including Cashman and Gene Michael to be a future general manager. In 2011, Eppler interviewed for the general manager opening for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was one of the finalists for the position, which went to Jerry Dipoto in 2011. In August 2014, he interviewed to be the general manager for the San Diego Padres, but the Padres hired A. J. Preller. When the Arizona Diamondbacks fired Kevin Towers as their general manager in September 2014, Eppler was one of the five candidates they identified as a potential replacement. Eppler declined to interview for the position, and the Diamondbacks chose Dave Stewart."

Edited by tomsred

I've been reading conflicting things about Eppler. He's been lauded as a "stats guy" but also as not a stats guy who just uses stats as a tool. So, what's the real answer?

And why is he in the running for every GM opening in baseball but never hired? 

Shouldn't they all just use stats as a tool?  I know we are all suppose to hate Scioscia because he managers by feel, but take his defensive positioning.  He uses far less shifts about 1/5 of the Astros, but our defensive efficiency is better than theres, we were 3rd and they were 5th.  I refuse to believe that is anything other than positioning, because we don't have great defensive players on this team.  

Shouldn't they all just use stats as a tool?  I know we are all suppose to hate Scioscia because he managers by feel, but take his defensive positioning.  He uses far less shifts about 1/5 of the Astros, but our defensive efficiency is better than theres, we were 3rd and they were 5th.  I refuse to believe that is anything other than positioning, because we don't have great defensive players on this team.  

I'm just trying to get a grasp on the guy's philosophy. I'm not advocating anything or taking sides.

So an up and coming GM who was beaten out by another up and coming GM, who ultimately walked off the job, is being considered (allegedly) as our new GM. Going to be interesting for sure.

Loks like the DBacks, Padres and Angels would gave been better off hiring Eppler.