• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels begin GM interviews

I believe Stoneman also said that the best move he made with the Angels was hiring Scioscia.

Do you disagree?

Whether or not he's outlived it's usefulness is open for debate -- but only people in deep denial would argue he wasn't key in the Angels becoming a first division club.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Do you disagree?

Whether or not he's outlived it's usefulness is open for debate -- but, only people in deep denial would argue he wasn't key in the Angels becoming a first division club.  

No I don't disagree.

Not one of the haters.

It was a sheer genius hire at the time and I doubt Stoneman foresaw Scioscia lasting this long as most managers pull stakes after five or more years. But I guess Scioscia felt this was the organization that would be more likely to maintain it's competitiveness and didn't consider jumping ship. You would have to be a fool to believe he hasn't been asked about his willingness to change venues and what would it take to get him.

Edited by notti

An NL executive on Scioscia: "He had a lot of success early, and he hasn't had a lot of success since. I think guys find out that Los Angeles is a hard place to play, because if [scioscia's] not signing off on you, you're not playing there. He has a lot of control. And when you've got that much control and you're not a playoff team and you're spending that kind of money, the bloom comes off the rose.''

2001 Angels = 75-87

2002 Angels = 99-63

2003 Angels = 77-85

You don't fluke your way to 99 wins and then compile an 11-5 postseason record en route to a World Series title. It's not like missing every cut then winning the US Open.

We were :

4th in MLB in runs/gm

1st in BA

6th in OPS

30th in Ks

29th in GIDP

4th in ERA

3rd in ERA+

5th in Shutouts

5th in WHIP

4th in Runs Allowed

Edited by Lou

Look, you were 6 years old when the Angels won the World Series. What you don't know is the organization was a complete wreck before Stoneman and Scioscia took the reigns and gave them an actual identity and cohesive system from the minors to majors.

So while you spout mindless drivel about the 2002 World Series the rest of us that lived through decades of real turmoil in the Organization can only shake our heads at your complete lack of knowledge. 

But please, keep making stupid analogies, it's entertaining.

You don't fluke your way to 99 wins and then compile an 11-5 postseason record en route to a World Series title. It's not like missing every cut then winning the US Open.

We were :

4th in MLB in runs/gm

1st in BA

6th in OPS

30th in Ks

29th in GIDP

4th in ERA

3rd in ERA+

5th in Shutouts

5th in WHIP

4th in Runs Allowed

like I said, a fluke

There are 1,190 posts in one single thread on NYYfans  message board that clearly defines how much the Angels organization changed from pre 2000 to 2009 in the fan eyes of the most successful franchise in baseball. Those here that hate Scioscia are not in the same league as these guys.

he's the jeff fisher of the baseball world, except scioscia lucked his way to championship one year

What is remarkable is that you can spend hours a day on an Angels fan website and be this ignorant about the team. Lucked into a World Series is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It defies logic. You can luck into a Super Bowl, because it is one game. You can not luck into having 99 wins and winning the World Series. I don't know how old you are but I can only assume you weren't old enough to understand baseball back in 2002, or understand the state of the franchise prior to the World Series year. Because if that is not the case then you are literally insane.

What is remarkable is that you can spend hours a day on an Angels fan website and be this ignorant about the team. Lucked into a World Series is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It defies logic. You can luck into a Super Bowl, because it is one game. You can not luck into having 99 wins and winning the World Series. I don't know how old you are but I can only assume you weren't old enough to understand baseball back in 2002, or understand the state of the franchise prior to the World Series year. Because if that is not the case then you are literally insane.

The Angels did not luck into the World Series win, but the idea that things like sac bunts and other small ball antics were a major contributing factor to the Angels success that year is definitely a persistent myth among Scioscia apologists. The Angels actaully had one of the best overall offensive teams with a lot of players who could hit for both average and power.

Note I'm not even saying that Scioscia does not deserve credit for leading the team to the WS, just that "but it worked in '02" can't be used as justification for things like excessive sac bunting today. 

Edited by ScottLux