• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels begin GM interviews

An NL executive on Scioscia: "He had a lot of success early, and he hasn't had a lot of success since. I think guys find out that Los Angeles is a hard place to play, because if [scioscia's] not signing off on you, you're not playing there. He has a lot of control. And when you've got that much control and you're not a playoff team and you're spending that kind of money, the bloom comes off the rose.''

Got this here:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13186480/who-mlb-best-manager-survey-says

All jokes aside, what has caused Pujols especially to decline so drastically from even 2011?

Is AL pitching truly >>>>>>> NL pitching?

pure stubbornness.  to me it's an unwillingness to adjust to his current ability and wanting to maintain the ability to hit the long ball.  the most successful inner circle HOFers were able to maintain their ability well into their late 30's.  He swings at balls he never used to and has no business trying to.  

the other thing that has hurt him recently is the shift.  I can't find it, but I read that he's been hurt by the shift more than any other player. 

he also used to hit the ball the other way and in Anaheim he realized he can't hit oppo hrs so he tries to pull everything.  

this assumes he's his stated age and that there were no enhancements.  

As far as MS is concerned, he's basically the Bobby Cox of the wild card era.  The addition of the extra playoff series makes it more difficult to win a pennant.  But they both share the 1 WS and multiple division titles.  Except that MS had instant success whereas Cox didn't.  Their winning pct is similar.  Mike is gonna be a hall of famer some day.  Especially if he goes to the dogs and they keep their payroll around 300 mil.

Regardless, it might be time for him to move on, but it's all for not if Arte still meddles.    

pure stubbornness.  to me it's an unwillingness to adjust to his current ability and wanting to maintain the ability to hit the long ball.  the most successful inner circle HOFers were able to maintain their ability well into their late 30's.  He swings at balls he never used to and has no business trying to.  

the other thing that has hurt him recently is the shift.  I can't find it, but I read that he's been hurt by the shift more than any other player. 

he also used to hit the ball the other way and in Anaheim he realized he can't hit oppo hrs so he tries to pull everything.  

Nice post, Doc...

I think you nailed it -- he's failing because he's stubborn and unwilling to accept that father time has impacted who he is as a player -- as far as the shift goes -- your first point is making it possible for teams to shift at will.  If he wasn't so set in his ways, he might find a way to beat the shift more often.

As far as going the other way and stuff -- his batted ball rates tell an interesting story...  http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1177&position=1B#battedball    Those dropping LD and hard hit ball rates are paving the way for the shift..

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think it is the other way around.  Now, at least.

The NL may have some better individual pitchers but AL pitchers tend to be better.  The list of former AL pitchers who switched leagues and saw their performances spike is pretty long..  Much less common to see it happen the other way around.. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

The way I see it with Pujols is that even if the LD rate is down, he can still flair enough of those pitches away on him into RF or through the wide open right side of the INF.

Eventually, pitchers will stop pitching away on him so much and then the pitches in the zone can be hit hard enough either through the shift or over it.

Stop being such a stubborn FOOL, Pujols.

You're ruining things for your team!

As far as MS is concerned, he's basically the Bobby Cox of the wild card era.  The addition of the extra playoff series makes it more difficult to win a pennant.  But they both share the 1 WS and multiple division titles.  Except that MS had instant success whereas Cox didn't.  Their winning pct is similar.  Mike is gonna be a hall of famer some day.  Especially if he goes to the dogs and they keep their payroll around 300 mil.

Regardless, it might be time for him to move on, but it's all for not if Arte still meddles.    

Best post of the year. Well done.

I'm not a hater at all but I think it just might be time for something different.  I don't think that simply replacing Sosh is going to make the team better though.  There has to be a real plan with a GM and manager who are on the same page and have a real plan to make this team a winner for the long term.

How about the obvious. Scioscia becomes our new GM.

He gained some experience through the Reagins era. He knows the system he wants employed, and two of his former assistant managers turned managers are currently in need of work. If all goes well enough, he serves out the remainder of his contract as GM.

If not, he's a doggy, or moved once again to assistant prez or something.

Great article on rebuilding a franchise!

“The game is best understood at 10,000 feet. But it is best enjoyed from the front row.”

— Chicago Cubs President Theo Epstein

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/theo-epstein-cubs-playoffs-in-reach/

Everyone around the Cubs – management, players, fans, everybody – will say that it was Maddon who took the team from the 10,000 feet phase to the front-row phase. Maddon has long been one of baseball’s best managers, but his transition from Tampa Bay to Chicago was a little bit messy. Maddon opted out of his contract with the Rays and became a free agent. The Cubs fired manager Rick Renteria barely a year after hiring him, a move that gutted Epstein and briefly created a storm.

“We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization,” Epstein wrote in a statement at the time. “In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has a priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.”

With Maddon in place, Epstein and the Cubs stopped making little bets and started making big ones