• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels begin GM interviews

Yes, Stoneman had a financial background. But, he also has a very good baseball background. He was GM of the Expo's where he had little to work with financially. The Expo's rarely resigned one of their own free agents. And they had to rely heavily on their farm system, which brought thru quite a few good players. When he came to the Angels, i think what became  his biggest strength was his eye for relief pitching. 

I remember he quit on his team and his players. 

or he reached the end of his rope and enough was enough, we simply dont know the facts. 

its generally assumed that arte is is meddling and scoscia has too much power so the evidence suggests he didnt quit on anything.

bu thats assumption, nothing more

If a team wants an "established and successful" GM, he would have to, by definition, be someone still working as a GM.

Established and Successful GM's usually don't get fired.

In order to lure an established guy, you would have to do like the Cubs did and go after Theo, by offering him a honey of an opportunity and full control of the situation to work with lots and lots of money and draft picks and TIME to allow him to enact his vision and do things his way with no opposition, and a whole bunch of people under him who see things the same way.

None of this is going to happen in Anaheim.

I'd just be happy if someone is hired and allowed to do things most GM's take for granted, like be a real GM.

I seriously doubt even that part is going to happen.

Jon Morosi â€@jonmorosi  2m2 minutes ago

Can confirm #Angels have interviewed Billy Eppler, Tony LaCava, Ross Atkins, Mike Hazen, Hal Morris, Matt Klentak, Scott Servais for GM job.

To quote major league, "Who are these F'n guys?" 

I know who most are but are we really going for a guy with no experience as a GM?  Then again i guess a real GM wouldnt take a back seat to Sven so getting an assistant makes sense since thats still going to be his role.

Every AL team that is currently in a playoff position hired a GM that had no previous experience.

Can confirm #Angels have interviewed Billy Eppler, Tony LaCava, Ross Atkins, Mike Hazen, Hal Morris, Matt Klentak, Scott Servais for GM job.

To quote major league, "Who are these F'n guys?" 

I know who most are but are we really going for a guy with no experience as a GM?  Then again i guess a real GM wouldnt take a back seat to Sven so getting an assistant makes sense since thats still going to be his role. 

LaCava is an interesting guy, possibly a good get.  He was hired by the Angels in the late 80s and worked his way up to cross-checker, I think he went to Braves when Stoneman took over.  He's been acting assistant GM to AA in Toronto..  Pretty sure he has turned down the opportunity to interview to GM in the past....  Kind of interesting he would be open to interviewing for the Angels job given all the talk about it being such a bad job.  Hazen BTW has been a pretty big player development guy for the Red Sox.

Edited by Inside Pitch

If a team wants an "established and successful" GM, he would have to, by definition, be someone still working as a GM.

Established and Successful GM's usually don't get fired.

In order to lure an established guy, you would have to do like the Cubs did and go after Theo, by offering him a honey of an opportunity and full control of the situation to work with lots and lots of money and draft picks and TIME to allow him to enact his vision and do things his way with no opposition, and a whole bunch of people under him who see things the same way.

None of this is going to happen in Anaheim.

I'd just be happy if someone is hired and allowed to do things most GM's take for granted, like be a real GM.

I seriously doubt even that part is going to happen.

Newsflash: that isn't going to happen in 95% of the organizations in mlb

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Stoneman was an accounting major and worked on contracts while he was with the Expos.

He was..   Stoneman's greatest attribute as a GM was in delegating and finding executive talent.  When he came here he brought with him the Sutherland brothers, one of which had won the minor league exec of the decade while a member of the Expos system, the other one was famous for his ability to find and acquire talent in oddball places -- both Eckstein and Figgins were accredited to the Sutherlands.  Dave Dombrowski, Malone, Jim Beatie, and Dan Duquette were all hand picked by Stoneman to run the Expos.  I have been told though never been seen it said anywhere that Stoneman had been angling to have Larry Beinfest replace him in Anaheim, which led the Marlines owner (Loria), to promote him to the title of President of BB Operations during September of that 2007 season.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Your GM walks out halfway through the season, and the owner can't even beg him to stay...and people are just foolishly making things out to be worse than they really are???

Must be nice to see life through your eyes.

It is a helluva lot closer to reality than the alternative, so yea, it is pretty great. If I got no joy out of it, or if when I looked at it all that came to mind was ugly thoughts, I wouldn't put myself through it.

Your GM walks out halfway through the season, and the owner can't even beg him to stay...and people are just foolishly making things out to be worse than they really are???

Must be nice to see life through your eyes.

Beg him to stay? LOL

i really hope you don't run a business.

You did get one thing right. Dipoto walked out on his commitment. He's a quitter.

He was..   Stoneman's greatest attribute as a GM was in delegating and finding executive talent.  When he came here he brought with him the Sutherland brothers, one of which had won the minor league exec of the decade while a member of the Expos system, the other one was famous for his ability to find and acquire talent in oddball places -- both Eckstein and Figgins were accredited to the Sutherlands.  Dave Dombrowski, Malone, Jim Beatie, and Dan Duquette were all hand picked by Stoneman to run the Expos.  I have been told though never been seen it said anywhere that Stoneman had been angling to have Larry Beinfest replace him in Anaheim, which led the Marlines owner (Loria), to promote him to the title of President of BB Operations during September of that 2007 season.

I believe Stoneman also said that the best move he made with the Angels was hiring Scioscia.