• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout back on top in war statistics

He also passed Salmon and Grich on the all-time Angels WAR leaderboards, now just behind Fregosi and Downing.

1. Fregosi 42.6

2. Downing 36.5

3. Trout 35.7

4. Grich 35.6

5. Salmon 35.5

And as I said in a post a few days ago, Trout has surpassed Salmon's career WAR at an age younger than Salmon was when he played his first major league game. Crazy.

He also passed Salmon and Grich on the all-time Angels WAR leaderboards, now just behind Fregosi and Downing.

1. Fregosi 42.6

2. Downing 36.5

3. Trout 35.7

4. Grich 35.6

5. Salmon 35.5

And as I said in a post a few days ago, Trout has surpassed Salmon's career WAR at an age younger than Salmon was when he played his first major league game. Crazy.

That is pure insanity

Thanks for this breakdown, aj

1. Fregosi 42.6

2. Downing 36.5

3. Trout 35.7

4. Grich 35.6

5. Salmon 35.5

Who cares. Salmon was "mediocre".

Yes, I was being sarcastic. Incredible that this time next year he'll probably be atop that leaderboard.

Is Fangraphs serious with their defensive statistics? According to them 3 out of the 5 top players in the league today (Trout, Harper, Goldschmit) are all below average defenders.

Defensive WAR stats are not much better than bovine waste at this point. In late June 2013 Trout was considered the worst defender in Baseball according to fWAR, and average by bWAR. That was after he was considered the best defensive player in baseball in 2012. While it's true Trout got fat a little bit that offseason, anyone watching the games can tell you he didn't go from being the best defender to the worst overnight. 

Also, according to Fangraphs Pujols is far below average defensively (-4.8) and about equal to Cron (-5). Johnny Giavotella, who to my eye appears to be decent defensively, is actually considered worse (-7.7) than both Matt Joyce (-7.5) and the new life size Trout bobblehead (-7.2). The best defender on the Angels is apparently Chris Iannetta (+4.2)

Edited by ScottLux

Salmon was a very good player, and that really puts what Trout's done into perspective. It also highlights the lack of "great" players the Angels have developed and retained throughout history.

#WarMachine

I always get crucified for saying this, but I see the opposite in that what Trout has done, really highlights how pedestrian Salmon's career was. Trout is greatness but it's four years.

As for the part of Angels history, I've said that many times. We have a pathetic franchise.

Defensive WAR stats are not much better than bovine waste at this point. In late June 2013 Trout was considered the worst defender in Baseball according to fWAR, and average by bWAR. That was after he was considered the best defensive player in baseball in 2012. While it's true Trout got fat a little bit that offseason, anyone watching the games can tell you he didn't go from being the best defender to the worst overnight.

Also, according to Fangraphs Pujols is far below average defensively (-4.8) and about equal to Cron (-5). Johnny Giavotella, who to my eye appears to be decent defensively, is actually considered worse (-7.7) than both Matt Joyce (-7.5) and the new life size Trout bobblehead (-7.2). The best defender on the Angels is apparently Chris Iannetta (+4.2)

Gio has a lead glove and cinder block feet IMO.

I always get crucified for saying this, but I see the opposite in that what Trout has done, really highlights how pedestrian Salmon's career was. Trout is greatness but it's four years.

As for the part of Angels history, I've said that many times. We have a pathetic franchise.

After the genius of your "mediocre" comment the other day you follow it up with "pedestrian"? Just because you keep making a point it doesn't make it any less moronic.

Is Fangraphs serious with their defensive statistics? According to them 3 out of the 5 top players in the league today (Trout, Harper, Goldschmit) are all below average defenders.

Yeah and Trout hasn't made a single error all year despite having the most chances of any CFer.  Makes no sense to have a negative dWAR.

Combines overall game into one stat really. Takes baserunning (SBs, taking extra bases and such), hitting, and defense and makes it one stat to use for comparison purposes. It also adjusts based on your era and position. A 30HR hitting shortstop is gonna have a much better WAR than a 30 HR hitting first baseman assuming they have comparable defense and baserunning.

.361/.459/.833 1.292 OPS in the month of July so far.

Not sure how to look this up, but I'll hazard a guess this is one of the best 25 months ever by a hitter.

edit: Okay, I was way off base. Trout has cracked the top 300 all-time months, if you're looking at OPS.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=Qx04p

Edited by fan_since79

Yeah, I would say there are close to 25 seasons in MLB history with a higher OPS.

Actually, only six seasons higher than 1.292. Bonds has three of them, and Ruth the other three.

Pujols and Harper are the only active players in the top 100. Trout's current 2015 OPS would place him 231st.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/onbase_plus_slugging_season.shtml