• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Honest question about Hamilton

If he keeps doing well in Texas, Arte is going to more willing to spend this offseason imo (which always end well). No way Arte just sits there and lets his Hamilton thing get thrown into his face constantly. If the Angels are winning then the Hamilton thing doesn't matter.

Angels aren't exactly one of the best run teams in sports. They've made some really bad decisions and investments over the past 4-5 years. Locking Trout up for a pretty reasonable extension was sweet though

Even that wasn't handled all that well. Evidently Trout wanted more years, even many more, but the Angels wouldn't go for it. I don't get it. You lock him up as long as you can. If he wants 12-15 years, give him 12-15 years.

Signing him. Cutting bait when they knew it wasn't ever going to work shouldn't be confused with supidity so much as it's admission of their initial stupidity.

Does signing Weaver for less than market value count as stupid or sweet? Where does trading for Skaggs and Santiago fall? How about Conger for Trop and Perez? Street and the subsequent extension?

Seems to me their biggest mistakes came from doing things fans wanted to see -- like spending big money or trading for "proven" HR hitters.

Nailed it on both takes.

Definitely trading him.  I still dont get why we did it, and the org. has been avoiding the question as if its some kind of government cover up for UFOs.  Basically Arte just took his relapse personal, felt he was embarrassing him and then proceeded to do something completely counter productive to this team.  A left handed bat with the way Hamilton is swinging it right now would be so valuable to this team.  

Signing him was dumb, but at least it made sense as we were trying to get protection for Albert.  Trading him was just a bizarre move out of frustration.  The money was going to be wasted anyways so were basically are just paying for an impact bat except the guy were paying for is putting on a division rivals jersey.  

Signing him, clearly. He had on the field issues, too.

Giving him away for nothing may not hurt the team much, but the fact they did it after what happened makes the signing even worse. What happened wasn't exactly shocking.

The Angels were in a position where they wanted to improve the team and only two players were on the market that would significantly change the ball club, Grienke and Hamilton. When they found themselves bidding against the Dodgers that had no cap in mind they switched to the next impact player.

They were in a position to improve the offense tremendously and felt they had a reasonable risk after having a one on one meeting with the Hamilton family. That meeting was a hell of a sales tool by the Hamiltons and Moreno believed them that the past was the past. Fool me once.

So far in this whole fiasco the underlying cause for dismissing Hamilton was never released to the press by Moreno or the front office. I am guessing it a fat file folder from two years of dealing with the problem that is working with Josh Hamilton the player and person. The allegations Hamilton made that he wasn't able to talk to Moreno was evidence that he was blocked from fooling him twice. Talk to the hand.

Moreno would be more than willing to accept the Angels made a mistake signing Hamilton. What he won't do is breach a confidentiality of owner player interaction and so it looks in the surface it is a bad move to trade Hamilton away to the only suitor to get a minimal salary relief.

His options, trade Hamilton to Texas for salary relief or release him and pay the entire contract. Regardless of what Hamilton does in Texas I believe Moreno did what he felt was his only choice to maintain the control of his franchise rather than it be ruled by a drug addicts irresponsible behavior. His precedence is to remove problem people from the franchise, Hamilton was never going to change that so the inevitable happened.

It was a business decision gone sour and the best possible result to end the relationship ensued. There was nothing stupid about it.

The Angels were in a position where they wanted to improve the team and only two players were on the market that would significantly change the ball club, Grienke and Hamilton. When they found themselves bidding against the Dodgers that had no cap in mind they switched to the next impact player.

They were in a position to improve the offense tremendously and felt they had a reasonable risk after having a one on one meeting with the Hamilton family. That meeting was a hell of a sales tool by the Hamiltons and Moreno believed them that the past was the past. Fool me once.

So far in this whole fiasco the underlying cause for dismissing Hamilton was never released to the press by Moreno or the front office. I am guessing it a fat file folder from two years of dealing with the problem that is working with Josh Hamilton the player and person. The allegations Hamilton made that he wasn't able to talk to Moreno was evidence that he was blocked from fooling him twice. Talk to the hand.

Moreno would be more than willing to accept the Angels made a mistake signing Hamilton. What he won't do is breach a confidentiality of owner player interaction and so it looks in the surface it is a bad move to trade Hamilton away to the only suitor to get a minimal salary relief.

His options, trade Hamilton to Texas for salary relief or release him and pay the entire contract. Regardless of what Hamilton does in Texas I believe Moreno did what he felt was his only choice to maintain the control of his franchise rather than it be ruled by a drug addicts irresponsible behavior. His precedence is to remove problem people from the franchise, Hamilton was never going to change that so the inevitable happened.

It was a business decision gone sour and the best possible result to end the relationship ensued. There was nothing stupid about it.

We don't really know that the Rangers were the only option though, or that Hamilton would only accept a trade there. That has been the speculation, but as far as I know, that hasn't been said by Hamilton or the Angels.

Signing him.  Cutting bait when they knew it wasn't ever going to work shouldn't be confused with supidity so much as it's admission of their initial stupidity.

Does signing Weaver for less than market value count as stupid or sweet?  Where does trading for Skaggs and Santiago fall?  How about Conger for Trop and Perez?  Street and the subsequent extension?

Seems to me their biggest mistakes came from doing things fans wanted to see -- like spending big money or trading for "proven" HR hitters.

Agreed. I think Dipoto has done a good job with trades, outside of this Hamilton deal and the Freese trade. Since Arte took over the team, we have made the following high priced signings:

Guerrero, Colon, GMJr, Hunter, Weaver extension, Pujols, Hamilton and Trout's extension. Vlad, Hunter, Weaver, and Trout were all very good deals. GMJr and Hamilton deals were terrible with Colon and Pujols falling in the middle somewhere (overpaid but contributed).

There's a huge difference between a addict and a recovering addict.

Do tell.

Since the first necessitated the second, I would have to say that signing Hamilton was the dumbest thing of all. As far as unloading him, it was pretty obvious that he didn't want to be here, and nothing good was going to come from trying to make him stay.