• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Honest question about Hamilton

that's a good question for Arte although he might give a different answer than I would.  

To me it's worse to pay someone to help one of your direct competitors succeed.  

the guy was an above average player on the field.  a moderate headache off.  he'd be helping this team right now.  

I have no idea what it's like to have Arte's money, but I'm not paying 80mil to have someone try to beat me.   

Edited by Dochalo

There was a complete front office failure after the relapse. So that and the subsequent trade was far worse than the original signing.

Obviously in hindsight we would have been better off if we hadn't signed him. But that's true of every free-agent signing that doesn't work out.

Even that wasn't handled all that well. Evidently Trout wanted more years, even many more, but the Angels wouldn't go for it. I don't get it. You lock him up as long as you can. If he wants 12-15 years, give him 12-15 years.

Seriously??? Ugh....

If that is true, what a joke the Angels are.

Both to an extent, but varying degrees.

He was already declining and Arte for some reason decided once Greinke was moving on that he had to spend that kind of money.

But realistically, dumping him and eating that much money is a cardinal sin in the business world. You can't pay someone to compete against you in any industry. The team wasn't even built for just tossing him.

I could deal with taking a chance and him being a bust, but not tossing him for nothing and him being what was expected. He wasn't ever healthy enough in his two seasons to think he was just a failure. At least get some kind of ROI.

I'm not gonna lie, I still want him on the team.

I don't really care how Josh performs in Texas, good or bad it doesn't change the fact that every decision ownership and/or the front office made about Josh along the way was wrong. 

Between catastrophes like this and the Wells/Napoli trade, to smaller disasters like giving up an asset in Grichuk to get the total mediocrity that is David Freese, I'm left with the depressing feeling that if this organization didn't luck into Mike Trout we'd be a complete dumpster fire.

I don't really care how Josh performs in Texas, good or bad it doesn't change the fact that every decision ownership and/or the front office made about Josh along the way was wrong. 

Between catastrophes like this and the Wells/Napoli trade, to smaller disasters like giving up an asset in Grichuk to get the total mediocrity that is David Freese, I'm left with the depressing feeling that if this organization didn't luck into Mike Trout we'd be a complete dumpster fire.

Especially in baseball, there is as much luck in a player working out that was drafted as a trade working out.

GM's win moves on paper then hope that they workout as expected.

Salas has sucked, Bourjous has sucked, Freese has been ok, and Grichuk looks like he might workout.

we signed him in good faith, he quit on us and turned into a 10 year old homesick little boy at summer camp.
if he wanted to be in tex he shouldn't have come here to begin with, and should have had the class to accept responsibility for his actions and screwing over the fan base and the team

He will do well, we will be laughed at, and ive never before in my life hoped a guy blew out his knee till now 

in short.. #$%^&*@ him 

signing him to that long term contract was a huge mistake and everyone here said so at the time.

I mean, when the Halos signed Hamilton, correct me if I am wrong about this, but there weren't a lot of teams lining up to compete for his services and particularly for a long term deal given Hamilton's well documented 'issues'

this Hamilton to Texas deal -- well, could have been a mistake but what else could Arte do?  He didn't want the guy back on the field for the Halos and did not want to face the certain legal action that Hamilton, backed by the MLBPA, were going to bring against the Halos if the Angels sought to either just sit him without playing, leave him off the roster and/or seek to void the contract.......all moves Arte was contemplating......trading him to get him off the roster to the only place where Hamilton can probably play and produce was the next (not so much best) option.

this Hamilton to Texas situation reminds of when we did NOT re-sign Vlad (when, perhaps we should have)-- not so much because we needed him on the roster (by all accounts, the decision not to re-sign him at that point made sense from a Halos line up situation) BUT to KEEP HIM OFF THE Texas Rangers........Vlad went there and had a monster first half of the season for them, a ballpark he always hit very well in -- of course, his stats plummeted the second half of the season that year but he sure put up some great first half stats and hurt the Halos that year.

Hamilton is same thing -- like Vlad, Texas is perhaps the one place where Hamilton can be comfortable, produce and put up some decent stats.......but his demons will always be lurking.

I still dont get why we did it, and the org. has been avoiding the question as if its some kind of government cover up for UFOs.  

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing, too. It's like they just expect us as fans to understand why he's hitting jacks and walk-offs for the Rangers now. Why is that OK? Nobody from the team has said dick about why exactly he was traded; we've just been left to speculate.