• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Honest question about Hamilton

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing, too. It's like they just expect us as fans to understand why he's hitting jacks and walk-offs for the Rangers now. Why is that OK? Nobody from the team has said dick about why exactly he was traded; we've just been left to speculate.

Do you seriously need a reason given to you as to why?  Sure seems pretty obvious to me.

Do you seriously think he would be doing the same thing on this team?  I sure don't.

Screw Hamilton and the fact that he didn't feel the need to produce for the team that was actually willing to sign him to a long term deal and believe him when he made a promise to stay off the drugs.

"What was the stupider move by the Angels? Signing him or trading him to a division rival for nothing?"

Signing him, by far.  The guy had a history of substance abuse that led to special considerations by the league just to let him continue to play.  Add to that he's over 30 and was already lacking accountability for miscues during his time in Texas and it just seems Moreno wanted something that wasn't there to begin with in Josh.  I think the last two seasons has shown that he is allowing his baseball people the room to make moves to shore up holes in the franchise.  They got the pitching covered it seems, now they just need to find some offense and keep building up the farm. 

Especially in baseball, there is as much luck in a player working out that was drafted as a trade working out.

GM's win moves on paper then hope that they workout as expected.

Salas has sucked, Bourjous has sucked, Freese has been ok, and Grichuk looks like he might workout.

Still wish Grichuk hadn't been traded away.    Even with the lack of plate discipline, he has the other tools.

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing, too. It's like they just expect us as fans to understand why he's hitting jacks and walk-offs for the Rangers now. Why is that OK? Nobody from the team has said dick about why exactly he was traded; we've just been left to speculate.

I really don't know what to say about why we did this other than Arte just hating drug users and not wanting him on the team (possible cancer and headache) -- in addition to him not appreciating his lack of heart on the field and not producing as expected.

Really though, I'm kind of just baffled over the whole thing. 

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip_zpssdtsnt

Do you seriously need a reason given to you as to why?  Sure seems pretty obvious to me.

Do you seriously think he would be doing the same thing on this team?  I sure don't.

Screw Hamilton and the fact that he didn't feel the need to produce for the team that was actually willing to sign him to a long term deal and believe him when he made a promise to stay off the drugs.

I just think their silence makes what he's doing in Texas right now look even worse. They gave him away for nothing. If they think he's a piece of sh*t, I'd like to hear somebody from the team say that — in more professional terms, of course. 

Why were they so disappointed by the arbitrator's ruling? Was it simply because he sucked so badly and they really hoped he'd be suspended to save some money or was there a lot more to it?

Did they trade him simply because Arte was pissed or were there legitimate concerns about his effect on the club if he returned to play with the Angels?

Edited by LightTheHalo

Clearly signing him to begin with was worse, if only because it directly led to trading him. But both were stupid.

Notti, there's another choice for Arte: swallow your big-ass ego pride and try to make things work with him. My sense is that Arte felt burned, had a hurt ego, and made Dipoto dump Hamilton in any way possible. But as others have said, a happy and healthy Hamilton would be helping this club right now.

The big, glaring problem that this franchise has is the same problem the Yankees had in the 80s, their worst decade in history: a meddling owner. Arte needs to step out of baseball operations and let the people that actually have a clue make decisions.

I think the Angels have been remarkably forthright, as a team in their position can be, about their feelings about him. Last year had to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not going to state that I have any clue what was going through his head but it sure seemed to be the case that he quit last season. His lackadaisical at bats. His now infamous shot on the bench by LTH.  The relapse. Most likely many more things that we'll never know about, at least officially, though perhaps some will eventually leak out.  How do you recover from that?  The Angels saw a way to recover $20 million in luxury tax and thanked the baseball gods for even that small an opportunity.

This has been a complete disaster every step of the way.

The signing was a disaster... but paying all that money for him to be productive in Texas... ay yi yi....

There isn't one baseball mind on the staff who couldn't see that he would be (semi) productive in late May 2015?  Or is this just an 'honor' thing with Arte and he wouldn't have Hamilton on the team at any talent level?