• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

The c-130 is just a great design. Like the b-52, they picked the right design and its just as effecrivw today as it was 60 years ago when first designed.

The C-130 is one of the greatest aircraft designs of all time, right up there with the DC-3. Even decades after both were designed and numerous attempts to develop a replacement for both, there are still things that the DC-3 and C-130 can do that other aircraft can't.

Hey Vegas Halo Fan,

I was driving north of Vegas in November 2010 and caught some exercise at Nellis with a literal parade of C-130's in the air.  I pulled over to the side of I-15 and counted at least FIFTEEN C-130's lined up towards Nellis for a landing. 

Any idea if that happens on a regular basis?  I have a feeling it was advertised beforehand because we noticed professional videographers, with high end cameras and tripods, out in the hills filming it. 

I haven't seen it very often. Must have been some kind of exercise going on. Of course, you see all kinds of things come and go. I saw a Royal Air Force L-1011 circling in on final approach one day on the way to work.

My workplace is in North Las Vegas, and depending upon the wind direction sometimes the takeoff pattern goes directly over our parking lot. I work probably 3-4 miles from the main gate at Nellis.

Hey Vegas Halo Fan,

I was driving north of Vegas in November 2010 and caught some exercise at Nellis with a literal parade of C-130's in the air.  I pulled over to the side of I-15 and counted at least FIFTEEN C-130's lined up towards Nellis for a landing. 

Any idea if that happens on a regular basis?  I have a feeling it was advertised beforehand because we noticed professional videographers, with high end cameras and tripods, out in the hills filming it. 

Nellis hosts a lot of exercises involving multinational forces and since more than 60 countries fly the C-130 they could belong to any one of or several countries making ceremonial entry for a particular exercise.

Just kidding, Cals!

Great thread, guys!  Thanks for all the great intel!

My favorite plane growing-up was the Corsair (from "Baa Baa Blacksheep"!)  I remember hearing that it wasn't a very functional plane, but just saw on a search that it is listed #1 on the Armed Forces History Museum list of top 10 WWII fighters...

http://armedforcesmuseum.com/top-10-fighter-planes-of-wwii/

I'm not a pilot and my work-related flying is in helicopters, but I do remember my very first time up as an observer.  The pilot was a bit of a clown, and took a call on his cellphone as we flew near the Queen Mary.  As he answered the phone, he said to me, "You got this, DC?"  I wasn't able to get an answer out as I felt the helicopter "sliding" sideways toward the big boat in the mud (I had an idea about what the stick did, but no clue as to the pedals).  He knew he'd got me good, and saved us all.

Edited by LBHalos17

I'm not a pilot and my work-related flying is in helicopters, but I do remember my very first time up as an observer.  The pilot was a bit of a clown, and took a call on his cellphone as we flew near the Queen Mary.  As he answered the phone, he said to me, "You got this, DC?"  I wasn't able to get an answer out as I felt the helicopter "sliding" sideways toward the big boat in the mud (I had an idea about what the stick did, but no clue as to the pedals).  He knew he'd got me good, and saved us all.

We have a family friend who is a retired United Airlines captain.  He's probably pushing 80 and doesn't do much flying anymore, but you guys will enjoy this story. 

One day he decided to obtain a Seaplane endorsement on his pilot's license.  This involved a checkride with an FAA Examiner.  I don't know the plane type (Grumman Goose, perhaps?) or when this happened, but it could have been forty or fifty years ago.  It was a twin engine amphibious plane of some sort. 

They departed out of Long Beach with the idea of going to Catalina.  The FAA Examiner is allowed to set up certain scenarios to test the pilot's competency on various things, so he reached down and killed one of the engines.  No big deal until the other engine crapped out a couple minutes later, forcing them to land on the ocean.  The conditions were really gnarly that day, and the wind was keeping one of the wings elevated so the propeller for their good engine was touching the water, or at least the waves.  The FAA Examiner was crapping his pants and suggested they call the Coast Guard.  My friend said to hell with the Coast Guard.

At my friend's suggestion, they redistributed some of the weight inside the plane (including their body weight) to help overcome the wind, so the plane would level out again.  That worked long enough to get the good propeller out of the water and the re-start was successful.  They got airborne again and went back to Long Beach.  The rest of the flight back, the only words out of the examiner's mouth were, "you passed, you passed!"  He said the guy was still white as a ghost long after returning to Long Beach. 

Ospreys, disnt know they were already being used for that.

I remember when they frst came on line, no one wanted to fly in them because they had a few crashes. Their actually pretty badass though. I never saw one while i was in, but saw their demo at miramar, very cool to see a helicopter fly past, turn around and fly past as a plane.