• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

Depends on how quick you can get airborne. A 15 can be in the air in 3 minutes from a cold start.

did not know that. rhats impressive. Theoretically id think the tom wpuld be better suited as a bomber interceptor, did the russians have fighters that could range out that far (to alaska)? I always assumed most russian fighters were more short ranged

Don't forget the Mustangs played an important role still during Korea. But of course the Sabre was the game changer.

yep, the mustangs (and the really weird but cool twin mustang) were still used in the CAS role, along with the corsair and A-1. My grandfather was called back when korea broke out and flew an A-26. There were still prop planes being used, but my understanding was they werent really used up north with rhe mig-15 threat.

Mig 15 came out of nowhere and slapped us in the face. Ive read in recent years the kill ratio of the f-86 vs mig 15 were overblown and a lot closer than was initially reported (not sure how accurate that is though)

In terms of WW2 planes, the smithsonian in DC has the enola gay. That was impressive as hell to see. Some day would like to make it out to the air force museum and see the b-36 they have.

Saw a lancaster when i was in london. Dont think that plane ever gets its credit here in the US. They had it on display next to a B-17, and made the 17 look pretty small in comparison

I went to the same museum a few years back, maybe we bumped into each other, haha.

Very nice museum (in a beautiful city). By far one of the best holocaust displays ive ever seen...really got to me.

Did you happen to make it out to the RAF bomber command monument down the road? That was very well done. Those guys played a guge role, and after the war were shunned because the idea of bombing cities isnt very "cheerable".

Huge amount of respect for the fighter command guys for the battle of britain (and the britts overall for that). "Never before have so many, owed so much, to so few"

Yep, those spitfire/hurricane pilots saved things in terms we will never know, but probably couldnt even estimate. Had the germans been able to force britain to submit (either by invasion or suing for peace), i really dont see how germany could have lost.

The russians without the allies may have still been able to best the germans, but thats very debateable.

In terms of WW2 planes, the smithsonian in DC has the enola gay. That was impressive as hell to see. Some day would like to make it out to the air force museum and see the b-36 they have.

if you're in washington d.c., go to the udvar-hazy air museum. it's part of the smithsonian complex and has some amazing pieces, including a fair amount of apollo things plus a shuttle. loved it there, even though i only had about an hour to walk around. got to meet harrison schmidt, who was on apollo 17 while i was there - right place, right time.

I grew up living about 10 miles away from The Chino Airport. Often the random WWII warbirds or occasional B-17/25 would fly over our house. It was a kid's dream.

A couple of days before an air show in Oklahoma City I was out mowing the lawn. Heard a piston engine plane overhead but the sound was unlike anything I had heard before. Looked up and it was a P-38, first one I had ever seen.

I actually looked in to doing that, volunteering my time hoping to get an in with one of the plane owners. I guess you can work as much or little as you like. Id love a job like that but dont have enough free time. Might see if i can put in an afternoon once a month though. Im just nerdy enough that sweeping there would be fun.

Boeing's 787 Dreamliner Does A Near-Vertical Takeoff

While not really and more of an optical illusion.  Interesting video.  

And I guess the Paris air show is coming up.  If I remember right, this is the eye candy for mainly commercial type planes.  Which none the less can be pretty entertaining seeing some of these hulks of planes take off.  I remember an air show at Point Mugu I went to.  They had I think it was a Hercules (This is back 30 years ago, so the hamster is having problems remembering the name) cargo plane take off.  It literally had a bunch of little rockets in the back of it to help with takeoff.  Think it was one of those planes that transported tanks and heavy machinery.

Yep, not sure they use that anymore, but rhe rocket assist for take off was a kit for one use for a c-130. It was developed for the plan to get the iranian hostages out, the plan involving landing and taking off inside a soccer stadium if i remember correctly...think about that...

I can maybe see the takeoff but how the hell would they land in a soccer stadium? That's nuts!