• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

SU-27's and F-18's do pretty awesome demos.

pretty jealous of both guys having seen a sukhoi up close. That cobra maneuver is pretty amazing.

Never was a huge fan of the plane, but the harrier demos are pretty rad. The concept behind the harrier is a good idea, but the plane itself (imo) is too slow and light to do much more than 'fast helicopter' work.

At nellis a few years back i got to see a b-1 and b-2 up close, both did a flyover before they left. Seeing a b-1, as big as it is, go that fast is impressive as hell. Seeing the b-2 flyover is kind of creepy. Looks like a ufo.

Some private owner there had a hind. That was kind of the highlight for going, wanted to see one of those up close.

I have been talking about my Russian encounter at the Oklahoma City air show. I decided that it is time that I shared some of my photo collection from that event. First, according to my photo album I was a year off on the date. It was June 1990, not 1989. The organizers said that this was the first time that Russian military aircraft had been allowed in American air space. Some of my photos of the SU-27s and the AN-225:

img156_zpshaehoghe.jpg?t=1432866920

img157_zpsb4bhty2b.jpg?t=1432866977

img160_zpsrz9bbc5q.jpg

img159_zpsmb67epsz.jpg

img158_zpsn7qhetx3.jpg

img161_zpsgsqboomy.jpg?t=1432867129

img163_zpssxwbshs1.jpg

img162_zpsgpmujdne.jpg

img165_zpsbdvhtgiv.jpg

img164_zpsisfpcbdl.jpg

img166_zps0civlhqv.jpg

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

pretty jealous of both guys having seen a sukhoi up close. That cobra maneuver is pretty amazing.

Never was a huge fan of the plane, but the harrier demos are pretty rad. The concept behind the harrier is a good idea, but the plane itself (imo) is too slow and light to do much more than 'fast helicopter' work.

At nellis a few years back i got to see a b-1 and b-2 up close, both did a flyover before they left. Seeing a b-1, as big as it is, go that fast is impressive as hell. Seeing the b-2 flyover is kind of creepy. Looks like a ufo.

Some private owner there had a hind. That was kind of the highlight for going, wanted to see one of those up close.

What a plane can do in a demo doesn't always correlate to what it does in combat. Kinda like football players at the combine. Very impressive in shorts but what about in pads?

Bomber flyovers are chilling when you think about what they could be carrying. If they would let Strike Eagles or F-111's fly by fully loaded and 250 feet it would scare the crap out of everybody and probably deafen them to boot.

I've been fascinated by military aircraft for a long time and have an Air Force-heavy group of family and friends. Always enjoyed anything to do with P-38s simply because of the unique design. I saw the Thunderbirds at March when I was about 10, and understandably became obsessed with F-16s. I actually saw them again in Wichita when I was about 25, and it was cool in that it felt every bit as exciting as it was when I was a kid. It doesn't matter if you're into aviation or not; I can't imagine anybody not being impressed by that show. My brother-in-law was actually on an emergency response/fire crew for B-2s in the 90s and sent me a picture with a message and autograph from one of the pilots when I was a kid. Might not sound like much now, but it was basically the coolest thing that had ever happened to me at that age.

Badass pictures vegas! That anatov is a freakin beast. The C-5 is a beast too, cant believe anything that big can fly.

Im a fan of russian planes, but im always abit skeptical of their claims.

Glad that you liked them.

There was a C-5 at the same air show, so it was easy to do a quick visual comparison.

The day after I was there Tom Jones, a stunt pilot who was one of the organizers of the Oklahoma City air show, suffered a catastrophic engine failure in his Russian-built Sukhoi SU-26M. He managed to steer the plane away from the crowd, but he was killed instantly on impact. Every plane on the ground (including the AN-225) flew in formation past the field in tribute. Among the dignitaries there were some Russian aviation officials, who assisted in determining the cause of the crash.

75,000 Watch as Stunt Pilot Dies

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Yeah, i was a kid, but i remember thinking it was in bad taste to go on with the show after it happened.

Back in 2004, way too many guys from our sister battalion went down in a 53 crash in Iraq. Guy i work with now was on the other bird and part of the recovery, still not really over it. From ehat i understand it wasnt hit with anything, just went down. Not sure of the exact numbers, but figure a fully loaded ch-53...bad news.

Those old world war 2 planes are still impressive to this day. The distinct sound of a really strong piston engine in the fighters....maybe not 'as' cool as a jet engine, but still really cool.

Seeing a group of them flying in formation is awesome. Last year they had something like 5 b-17s flying at once....rheres probably less than 15 left flying in the world, so to see that many together was amazing.

Theres only 1 b-24 left flyong in the world and i was lucky enough to get a ride on it. They tour the country and come around here once a year.

Sad fact, but the tail end of ww2 ushered in the jet age. The leap technology wise just over the next 5 years was insane. So the overwhelming majority of planes that had dominated the world war were obsolete almost overnight. The b-29 was a game changer....5 years later over korea is could only be used sparingly because it was so vulnerable to the new migs.

So when you consider all the history behind legendary planes like the 4 engine 'heavies' (17s, 24s, lancasters, etc) and fighters (spitfires, mustangs, hellcats, fw 190s etc) the majority had zero ise anympre and were simply sold for scrap...mustangs were sold to the public for private ownership, but most other planes were nust cut up. So theres very few examples left of any of those big named planes. Very sad.

Speakimg of korea, some out there may not know, but the term "86'd" came from the f-86 and its reputation over the mig. In recent years the record has come under dispute, but the reputation at least is where the term came from

Don't forget the Mustangs played an important role still during Korea. But of course the Sabre was the game changer.