• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

Thats pretty cool. If i was suddenly rich i would absolutely buy my own warbird. I used to know this old guy at my gym. He was late 80s, had the double canes going. But he was a tough old paratrooper of ww2 101st airborne breed.

Anyway, he said after the war mustangs and all the other ones were basically being given away, so he bought two mustangs and still kept them in some hanger in long beach. That would have been a cool inheritance if i were his grandson

From Reddit: This is what happens when a pilot lands on the wrong aircraft carrier

6nnfClk.jpg

One of the replies said this:

A U.S. Navy McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee (BuNo 125019) of Fighter Squadron 62 (VF-62) "Gladiators" from the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea (CVB-43) after it had landed aboard USS Wasp (CV-18) in 1952.

VF-62 was assigned to Carrier Air Group 4 (CVG-4) aboard the Coral Sea for a deployment to the Mediterranean Sea from 19 April to 12 October 1952.

It was common practice to paint a visiting aircraft with comments: "VF-62 Guard Mail Original Coral Sea First"; "Fouled up"; "Must be Air Force"; "Airman Adams reporting sir"; "I wanna be a Ubangi" (referring to VF-12 "Flying Ubangis" on Wasp); "From Heaven to Coral Sea via Stinger", "You name it - you land on it". - (courtesy of the National Naval Aviation Museum)

Hell of a job by the pilot, but I can't believe that the airport wasn't on divert with surface winds that high. That happened here once, and the FAA closed McCarran Airport. Everything was diverted to airports in California and Arizona until the winds died down. I believe that a few flights went to Reno as well.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Maybe a bit quicker into the climb but F-15's have been doing this for 40 years. They were the first jet aircraft to achieve vertical acceleration with the Streak Eagle in 1975.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=streak+eagle&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

A B-29 that ditched in Lake Mead while performing atmospheric research.

Some other items on it:

Tech Diving Limited, which offers dives to the wreck

NOAA article

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 2 weeks later...

We drove by the boneyard out near Palmdale last week. Was surprised at how many 747s we saw. Tons of them all lined up.

Since airlines are now regularly making transcontinental flights using two engines, the 747s that remain in service are primarily freighters. There are still a few flying passengers (that I know of, Lufthansa, KLM, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Delta and United still use them), but I am guessing that they will be gone within the next 5-7 years. The Airbus A340 is suffering the same fate.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Basically it takes a lot less fuel to run two engines than four, and the capacity of a 777, A330 or 787 is close enough that the 747 just doesn't make economic sense for the airlines anymore. Airlines that still have them use them rather than park them, but they aren't part of anyone's long range plan. Sales of the passenger version of the 747-8 have been pretty much nonexistent, and soon only the cargo version may be built. I used to see 747s at McCarran fairly often, but only British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fly them here now, and not on every flight. I have seen VA A330s and BA 777s part of the time. At one time Hawaiian flew L-1011s and DC-10s to Honolulu, but those were replaced by 767s and now A330s.

Of course, on a trip with that wide a stretch of water under me, I would prefer four engines. It remains to be seen if a twin engined jumbo jet could maintain enough altitude to make it to the nearest airport if an engine failed over the Atlantic or the Pacific.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Last year, for the first time the number of passenger miles flown by 747s worldwide dropped below those of the Airbus A380. Boeing has reduced production of the 747-8 to 1.3 planes per month. Almost 70 percent of the deliveries so far have been of the cargo version. About the only airline that seems to be adding 747s is Lufthansa (also an A380 operator). The German airline has added 16 747-8s.

The slow death of the Boeing 747