• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

Do you ever feel "jealous" of the overnight packages you send FedEx or UPS?

I sent two yesterday.  The shipping labels indicated one was going by air to Newark, and the other, Minneapolis, via their hub at Memphis.  The tracking info was detailed enough that I was able to find the FedEx flights on FlightAware.  From Memphis, one package took an MD-11, and the other, a DC-10. 

I'd pay big bucks to fly jumpseat on either plane. 

great huh!?

everytime i see the story posted online, i always end up reading it.

its so fun.

i remember being so into the sr-71 as a kid.

that except is from a book Sled Driver, but good luck finding it.

last i heard it's discontinued and super expensive.  

http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0929823087

Dang.  Even my go to online used bookstore is $274. 

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=sled+driver

Blackbirds are my all time favorite plane. 

great huh!?

everytime i see the story posted online, i always end up reading it.

its so fun.

i remember being so into the sr-71 as a kid.

that except is from a book Sled Driver, but good luck finding it.

last i heard it's discontinued and super expensive.  

http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0929823087

Oh.  And cough cough.  Pdf versions of it are available.  If you want one, ask Mr. Wicked. 

Nobody uses DC-10's for passenger service anymore, only cargo.
Check this link in the evenings, you'll see FedEx's fleet spring to life: https://flightaware....rcrafttype/DC10

_________________________________________________________________________________

A buddy of mine flies DC10s for FedEx. He started out as an Embraer jockey for a commuter years ago.
The DC10 and the L1011 were favorites of mine when they were in passenger service, comfortable, roomy and quiet planes with the rear mounted engine.

When I worked in Anchorage I got to know some crews with Flying Tiger.
Deadheaded with them on a few PI, NZ, Australia and Japan runs.
They flew 747s with two complete crews, and the upstairs lounge/galley were set up with sleeping/relaxing/cooking quarters.
Pretty cool way to get to some exotic places, and the price was right too.

Edited by Homebrewer

A DC 10? No kidding. I thought those were all long gone just like the L1011.

The last one flying passengers was retired almost two years ago by Biman Bangladesh. All of the '10s in service now are with cargo carriers. FedEx still flies quite a few of them.

The DC-10 makes its final passenger flight

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 2 weeks later...
noce post. That su-34 is pretty badass. Like the side by side seating. Russians seem to be big on making all kinds of variants of the same plane.

Is it just me.  But when I think of top of the line stuff like this.  Too much skin was exposed. 

no really.  Maybe I'm thinking too much of space program stuff.  But I'd think top of the line military would be similar conditions, no?

noce post. That su-34 is pretty badass. Like the side by side seating. Russians seem to be big on making all kinds of variants of the same plane.

I can't imagine American crews would like the side by side seating. I know this is built as a bomber but the lack of out the window visibility and the tiny HUD seem like a huge hindrance.

I can't imagine American crews would like the side by side seating. I know this is built as a bomber but the lack of out the window visibility and the tiny HUD seem like a huge hindrance.

good point about rhe visibility. But as far as side by side, i guess it depends. The a-6, f-111 etc eere set up the same, maybe it helps the weapons guy view wise? (If the cockpit is big enough)

Im not totally sure, because i think of the fullback in terms of the same size in class as like a su-27, but i thought i read somewhere they have a bathroom in the cockpit? Must be roomier than a fighter

which brings me to my next point. And ive seriously always wondered this...fighter pilots...what if the have to go doo doo...what has darpa created for that contingency?

No idea about jets, but this is from the International Space Station:

Aboard the International Space Station, solid waste from astronauts is tightly bagged and fired back toward Earth in an unmanned vehicle. (It burns up during re-entry.)

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

No idea about jets, but this is from the International Space Station:

Aboard the International Space Station, solid waste from astronauts is tightly bagged and fired back toward Earth in an unmanned vehicle. (It burns up during re-entry.)

"turd missiles from outer space" sounds like an 80s movie

which brings me to my next point. And ive seriously always wondered this...fighter pilots...what if the have to go doo doo...what has darpa created for that contingency?

During long missions they wear what they call "poopie suits". In a 2 seater you pass the control. In a single seater you engage the autopilot and handle your business. These suits open in the appropriate areas for using a specially designed container. It's the glamour of being a fighter jock.