• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Report: Barry Bonds to file case accusing MLB teams of collusion

Nobody said he wasn't a great ballplayer. It was your quote "we would have gotten another World Series for sure" that is funny.

I think we would have, just my opinion.  We never had lineup protection for Vlad, and certainly never had a lefty bat to compliment him.  We had all the other pieces in place to win.  Put Bonds on those division winning Angels and let him rake at DH, this team definitely could have gotten over the hump.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/5/12/8593851/barry-bonds-collusion-grievance-selig-conspiracy-opus-dei

4. Angels

The Angels won 100 games for the first (and only) time in franchise history in 2008, but they won just one postseason game against the Red Sox. To put the Angels on the should've-had-Bonds list, you would have to believe that Bonds would have been enough to make up for at least one of the losses, which is a pretty presumptuous thing to believe.

I'll allow it, though. Juan Rivera and Gary Matthews were a combined 1-for-13 in the series, with Vladimir Guerrero DHing. Put Vlad in the field and Bonds at DH, and the Angels win each game of the series by 12 runs, all coming on Bonds grand slams. Unless I'm just a fanboy who has gone too far. No, no, that's probably what Bonds would have done, it's you who is wrong.

The Angels probably would have won 103 games or more with Bonds, but that's not the part that matters. In retrospect, I'm not sure if Bonds would have pushed them into the ALCS, but I know that the roster they did have couldn't do it.

I think Barry's right on this one (as much as I dislike him), but I also think he has very little chance of winning this. Individual teams can just say that his reputation preceded him, and while he may have helped to improve their team, he may have also alienated the fans that drive the team's long term revenue stream. So, individual team A just claims it was a sound business decision to avoid Bonds, and the fact that 29 teams also independently came to that conclusion just reinforces the strength of the argument.

And thats Bonds' fault somehow?  Love him or hate him he was the best player in baseball for a long period of time, and there isnt a damn thing anybody could say to argue it.  If he had a team around him he would have had at least 3 rings.  Which is why I thought the Angels should have gotten him.

you missed the point

I don't know if Bonds would've carried the Halo's to a World Series, let alone win it.  But I, for one, would have loved to see it.  Yes, he is an A-hole, but I don't need to love the players who help my teams be successful.  I have stomached Gary Payton and Karl Malone being Lakers for g*ds sake.

How do you prove something like this? I would assume everyone stayed away from him because he was the poster child for Steroids and he was toxic in the clubhouse.

I don't recall anything in the MLBPA's contract with MLB that says that every free agent must be signed.

I don't know if Bonds would've carried the Halo's to a World Series, let alone win it.  But I, for one, would have loved to see it.  Yes, he is an A-hole, but I don't need to love the players who help my teams be successful.  I have stomached Gary Payton and Karl Malone being Lakers for g*ds sake.

Fixed.

I think we would have, just my opinion.  We never had lineup protection for Vlad, and certainly never had a lefty bat to compliment him.  We had all the other pieces in place to win.  Put Bonds on those division winning Angels and let him rake at DH, this team definitely could have gotten over the hump.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/5/12/8593851/barry-bonds-collusion-grievance-selig-conspiracy-opus-dei

The outrageous thing about this SBnation post is not only is it completely true, Arte's response to this truth was to give Mike Scioscia an unprecedented 10 year contract extension :(

Edited by ScottLux

Someone who gets it

I don't know if Bonds would've carried the Halo's to a World Series, let alone win it. But I, for one, would have loved to see it. Yes, he is an A-hole, but I don't need to love the players who help my teams be successful. I have stomached Gary Payton and Karl Malone being Lakers for g*ds sake.

refresh my memory

how did that turn out?

Edited by Lou

Bonds was at best a 3-4 WAR DH at the end of his career.  

In 2008, we traded for Tex at the deadline.  He had a 3.7 war in half a season and 7.8 total for the year.  He was better than Bonds at the time.  If we have Bonds at DH that year, we likely don't trade for him.  

Do you recall who we got in the draft the following year because we got a comp pick?  I do.  

Go ahead and play the argument that the halos would have drafted Trout instead of Grichuk and I will speculate that the halos draft would have been totally different to the point that they might have dropped below the skanks who would have drafted him.  

Would you sacrifice having Mike Trout to have won a WS in 2008?  I wouldn't.  

Bonds was at best a 3-4 WAR DH at the end of his career.  

In 2008, we traded for Tex at the deadline.  He had a 3.7 war in half a season and 7.8 total for the year.  He was better than Bonds at the time.  If we have Bonds at DH that year, we likely don't trade for him.  

Do you recall who we got in the draft the following year because we got a comp pick?  I do.  

Go ahead and play the argument that the halos would have drafted Trout instead of Grichuk and I will speculate that the halos draft would have been totally different to the point that they might have dropped below the skanks who would have drafted him.  

Would you sacrifice having Mike Trout to have won a WS in 2008?  I wouldn't.  

Way too many hypotheticals, though this entire thread suffers from this problem.