• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mason & Ireland and uninformed media

Has anyone else been listening to Mason and Ireland the last week or so and heard their commentary about the Hamilton situation? I'm fed up with media commentary on the Angels when it is obvious that they don't follow the team (aka, Dodger fans). This is what I have heard from them:

• Moreno alone signs every bad free agent again and again and has ruined the Angels. (Forgetting that the Angels had the best record in baseball last season, that most teams sign free agents to bad contracts, including the team across the freeway. Never forget Darren Dreifort. And that we actually have some pretty darn good signings.)
  • Howie Kendrick is the second coming of Christ (never said that when he was an Angel)
  • Hamilton is completely innocent and has done nothing wrong
  • Hamilton will go to the Rangers and lead them to the Playoffs, beating the Angels single-handedly (He was considered "done" by the media and fans prior to the relapse. Now he is back and better than ever!)
  • And last but not least, ARod is back y'all!!!

And let's break down the free agent signings and acquisitions:

• Which ones have been bad?
    • GM JR
    • Hamilton
  • And which ones have been good?
    • Vladimir Guerrero
    • Bartolo Colon
    • Torii Hunter
  • And border-lines?
    • Pujols
    • Wilson
  • Trades?
    • Kazmir (bad)
    • Wells (bad)
    • Haren (good)
  • Bullets dodged?
    • Chone Figgins
    • Texeria
    • Lackey
    • Ervin Santana (traded early)
    • Haren (traded early)

Am I missing any?

Edited by augustred

I emailed Ireland once and he emailed back and he basically admitted he knows very little about the Angels and is probably wrong about them most of the time.  At least he was honest.  I listen to Mason and Ireland for comic relief; not Angels commentary.

But I agree our moves have been mixed.  Maybe more positive moves than negative moves.

Has anyone else been listening to Mason and Ireland the last week or so and heard their commentary about the Hamilton situation? I'm fed up with media commentary on the Angels when it is obvious that they don't follow the team (aka, Dodger fans). This is what I have heard from them:

Yet you still listen. 

You do realize it is their job to generate reaction and interest (positive or negative) in their product? See also Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

This.

But at the same time, they probably don't know what the F they're talking about at the same time.

And what are your arguments for that?

For Pujols the only argument you could make that it was a good deal was if he was STL Albert for the first 5 years making the last 5 years of the deal tolerable at best. As that hasn't been the case...

Mason & Ireland are some of the least informed and dumbest sports talk guys around.I rarely listen but when SVP and Rusilo are on break I sometimes flip to them. 

I will kind of defend them on this (while I am slightly uniformed). I think they were basing their belief that Moreno was solely responsible for Hamilton, Wilson, Pujols and the Wells trade from a Pedro Maura article in the Register recently. I haven't read the article so I don't know if that was an accurate interpretation of the article. That's why I'm slightly uninformed.

Really? Wilson is getting paid $15m a year. That is bargain money of which he has been good for a good portion of his contract.

His ERA+ with the Angels has been 100, 111, 82. Average, a bit above average, below average. Average at best overall.

He has produced 4.4 WAR over 3 years with the Angels. Mike Trout will do that pre All Star break this year.

His ERA+ with the Angels has been 100, 111, 82. Average, a bit above average, below average. Average at best overall.

He has produced 4.4 WAR over 3 years with the Angels. Mike Trout will do that pre All Star break this year.

1. Don't compare anyone to Mike Trout.

2. Go find me 5 free agent pitchers in the last three years who signed for smaller deals at age 30 and were worth more.

3. Pujols and Wilson were not just baseball moves. They were business moves. You cannot divorce the two. Do you think the Yankees and Dodgers sign free agents and make big trades just to win? Haha, there is so much more involved. Media, fans, marketing, advertising dollars, etc.