• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton will not be suspended: per DiGiovanna

Ok, Josh Hamilton has sucked, there's a "no duh" statement. But are you really unwilling to even assess whether or not Josh can help the team?

Do I think he's washed up? Yeah. I think Cron is better than him, Joyce and Cowgill. But am I so confident in that assessment that I won't even consider Hamilton as a potentially valuable addition? No, NO.

Let his shoulder fully heal, let him use this time to get his head on straight. Let him get some time in Arizona to see some pitching. Let him get his 20 game rehab assignment in the minors, AND THEN MAKE A DECISION.

this goes beyond his ability at this point and has become a social and clubhouse issue.  I don't think they want him around and his presence will be a detriment regardless of his performance unless he offers a full mea culpa.

Strangely absent from all of this is any sort of statement from Josh Hamilton.  No apology.  No explanation.  Nothing but crickets.  

this goes beyond his ability at this point and has become a social and clubhouse issue.  I don't think they want him around and his presence will be a detriment regardless of his performance unless he offers a full mea culpa.

Strangely absent from all of this is any sort of statement from Josh Hamilton.  No apology.  No explanation.  Nothing but crickets.  

It's allowed him to come out looking like the victim in all of this while the Angels will be considered the bad guys.

Then if that's true, what motivation is there for Hamilton to come clean about all of this? A clear mind perhaps?

Ok now what's the motivation for him to not come clean? 90 million and a chance to play professional baseball.

Not hard to picture which path he'll take.

Also, let's consider the fact that Hamilton has personified himself as the victim here. Maybe he justifies all of this in his mind but telling himself the world is putting him on trial, MLB's against him, the Angels are against him.

Hamilton may believe himself completely justified in not entering rehab. He's going to do this his way. It may not be right, but it's his decision to make according to an arbitrator.

The best thing the Angels can do is not fight it and just assess him when they have to cross that road.

Why are you surprised? He is a famous athlete. Rules that apply to you and I mean nothing to him. Keep in mind too that he has a "disease" and therefore can't be held accountable for his actions. Plus, he found a loophole in the system so he technically never tested positive. I guess you are allowed to refuse a drug test if you tell them you used drugs. Manford is going to have to get the whole program fixed.

anybody who thinks that "disease" and "not responsible for his actions" means the same thing is either willfully ignorant or just ignorant.

edit: go to a treatment facility or an NA, something like that, and see how much those people are struggling with not using. then realize that those are the people that actively don't want to use. it's a daily affirmation for them. it's not just a one time, i'm not going to use ever again. it's, i'm not going to use today. it's not called a disease because it's like cancer, but rather because they have to manage the symptoms every day.

having said all of that, responsibility is key to recovery, and what happened today was not in hamilton's best interests.

Edited by ukyah

Manfred is going to make Bug Selig look like a genius real soon.

Even Steve Nash has done more to earn his money with the Lakers than Hackilton with the Halos, by at least tutoring Jordan Clarkson to excellent results so far.

What has Hackilton truly done for the Halos, outside of 1.5 months in 2013 when the Halos were already out of contention for the post-season?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Ugh, this did not come out good for the Angels

If he does come back and is allowed to play will the team accept him back? Or will it be like last year where the Angels were playing good ball and as soon as he came back it seemed like the attitude of the team was different and we faded. I'm sure Josh swinging and missing on just about every pitch didn't help or that MS kept putting him back out there every game no matter what.

Angels have some tough decisions to make.

anybody who thinks that "disease" and "not responsible for his actions" means the same thing is either willfully ignorant or just ignorant.

edit: go to a treatment facility or an NA, something like that, and see how much those people are struggling with not using. then realize that those are the people that actively don't want to use. it's a daily affirmation for them. it's not just a one time, i'm not going to use ever again. it's, i'm not going to use today. it's not called a disease because it's like cancer, but rather because they have to manage the symptoms every day.

having said all of that, responsibility is key to recovery, and what happened today was not in hamilton's best interests.

Hamilton has access to help that most people only dream of and he still screwed up.  I have read many arguments and articles that state addicts can't be held responsible for their actions and Hamilton just proved them right.  There is a whole King of the Hill episode about it and that's just a funny cartoon with a $10 an hour job on the line. It's obvious that Hamilton found a loophole and the ruling means nothing is going to happen to him.  He gets paid and still was able to use illegal drugs with no punishment.  It's all due to his "disease."  The guy can pretty much do whatever he wants.  Obviously, the whole drug testing system needs to be redone.

To those here that think Hamilton will get released or whatever, you need to wake up to reality.  There is no way Arte is going to eat 83 million.  Hamilton will continue to play as long as he can stand upright.  It's really as if nothing happened.  We all might as well forget about him admitting to drug use and get used to him batting 4th or 5th when he heals from his surgery. He is a professional baseball player.  He gets treated differently than you and I.  It's actually comical to me that you think Arte will just release him.

Edited by beatlesrule

Ugh, this did not come out good for the Angels

If he does come back and is allowed to play will the team accept him back? Or will it be like last year where the Angels were playing good ball and as soon as he came back it seemed like the attitude of the team was different and we faded. I'm sure Josh swinging and missing on just about every pitch didn't help or that MS kept putting him back out there every game no matter what.

Angels have some tough decisions to make.

• 15:$23M, 16:$30M, 17:$30M
  • full no-trade clause

Explain how they have some tough decisions to make.

If he had refused the drug test he'd already be suspended. I somehow doubt MLB just decided to skip the test on their own even with his self report.

I love this part of it, which turns the whole ruling into getting off on a technicality.

Hence forth, when players self report drug abuse, the very first thing the league is going to do is make them take a test, so that it's all on record.

Yeah, if Hamilton comes back and mashes, I have a feeling most Angels fans will forgive him.

Same with a fraud. 

This is true because the issue with Josh is so much bigger than just the drugs. The problem is watching him play, watching him not give a shit at all, and then reading about how he doesn't in the paper. The drugs are just the icing on the cake, it's just another example of how little he cares about his career, and his support for this team. The potential for suspension was simply an opportunity for for the team to get back a little bit of the money they wasted on Hamilton, and for Josh to actually have to lose something for his lack of respect for the team. Today's ruling simply says that everything Josh has done is OK in the eyes of the league. 

• 15:$23M, 16:$30M, 17:$30M
  • full no-trade clause

Explain how they have some tough decisions to make.

Do they cut him and eat the money?

Do they instill their own type of punishment allowable by MLB?

Do they allow him to play and what kind of message does it send to the fans?

Do they allow him to play if it is disrupting the clubhouse?

If they do allow him to play how short is the leash if he is just flailing up at the plate or is there one?

Do they look to trade him basically eating most of his contract?

I'm sure there are more questions I have not listed.

So I do believe they have some tough decisions to make.

This is true because the issue with Josh is so much bigger than just the drugs. The problem is watching him play, watching him not give a shit at all, and then reading about how he doesn't in the paper. The drugs are just the icing on the cake, it's just another example of how little he cares about his career, and his support for this team. The potential for suspension was simply an opportunity for for the team to get back a little bit of the money they wasted on Hamilton, and for Josh to actually have to lose something for his lack of respect for the team. Today's ruling simply says that everything Josh has done is OK in the eyes of the league. 

This. It's more than just a line of coke. Someone else brought up that if Mike Trout did this, the reaction would be different. And they're 100% right. And that's perhaps because Mike Trout's attitude, drive, and dedication to his teammates and team are the polar opposite of what we see from Josh. Not just because of his batting average.

Look at the way he's "rehabbing" his injury - he's not with the team. He's got no timeline. He doesn't seem to be progressing. Now compare that to other Angels, like Skaggs, who isn't going to be playing MLB untuil 2016 and still came to Spring Training, does public events and wants to be with the team.

Do they cut him and eat the money? No

Do they instill their own type of punishment allowable by MLB? Like what?

Do they allow him to play and what kind of message does it send to the fans? He never tested positive so it's a non issue.

Do they allow him to play if it is disrupting the clubhouse? How is he disturbing the clubhouse?

If they do allow him to play how short is the leash if he is just flailing up at the plate or is there one? 83 million reasons to keep him in the lineup.

Do they look to trade him basically eating most of his contract? He has a full no-trade clause.

I'm sure there are more questions I have not listed.

So I do believe they have some tough decisions to make.

I've already answered them. He is owed way too much money and is a former MVP.  He is not going to be cut. He did not test positive.  This is a non issue.  Best to pretend none of this ever happened.  MLB has guaranteed contracts.

Edited by beatlesrule

This. It's more than just a line of coke. Someone else brought up that if Mike Trout did this, the reaction would be different. And they're 100% right. And that's perhaps because Mike Trout's attitude, drive, and dedication to his teammates and team are the polar opposite of what we see from Josh. Not just because of his batting average.

Look at the way he's "rehabbing" his injury - he's not with the team. He's got no timeline. He doesn't seem to be progressing. Now compare that to other Angels, like Skaggs, who isn't going to be playing MLB untuil 2016 and still came to Spring Training, does public events and wants to be with the team.

That's another troubling part of this whole picture.