• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

congrats millennials

U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/02/u-s-millennials-post-abysmal-scores-in-tech-skills-test-lag-behind-foreign-peers/

The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Scores for U.S. millennials are below the OECD average across all three skill domains: literacy, numeracy and problem-solving

The comparatively low skill level of U.S. millennials is likely to test our international competitiveness over the coming decades. If our future rests in part on the skills of this cohort—as these individuals represent the workforce, parents, educators, and our political bedrock—then that future looks bleak.

http://www.ets.org/s/research/30079/millennials.html

Doesn't surprise me either.  On a separate note I think the millennials generational definition is too large.  I realize other generations span 20 or more years in some cases but comparing someone like me born in the early 80's to my gf's niece who is graduating high school this year is apples to oranges.  The youngest millennials don't remember a time without the internet, social media sites and cell phones.  I think the impact on technology has affected younger individuals more and makes their upbringing and reality a lot different than anything I experienced.

/end old man rant

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Doesn't surprise me either.  On a separate note I think the millennials generational definition is too large.  I realize other generations span 20 or more years in some cases but comparing someone like me born in the early 80's to my gf's niece who is graduating high school this year is apples to oranges.  The youngest millennials don't remember a time without the internet, social media sites and cell phones.  I think the impact on technology has affected younger individuals more and makes their upbringing and reality a lot different than anything I experienced.

/end old man rant

it depends on whose definition you're using. The Harvard Center considers anyone born from '65 to '84 to be part of Generation X. 

Most articles and commentary about millennials considers the generation spanning those born in the early 80's through the early 2000's.  Regardless someone born in 1985 probably has far less in common with someone born in 2000 than a boomer born in 1945 does with one born in 1960.  I always thought I was a Gen X'er as well and older articles used to lump me in there but somewhere along the way articles on millennials started to consider me one of the oldest ones.  It doesn't bother me as I know who I am and it doesn't define me I just don't think it's a valid comparison lumping someone like me in with a kid currently in high school.

something that i think is very important is missing from so many kids today - creativity. they depend on technology to entertain them so very, very much these days, and their own creativity suffers in the process. it prevents them being good problem solvers, also, even for simple things. if a kid forgets to bring a pencil to class, so many of them have no idea what to do next. it's terrifying to watch this happen over and over again.

something that i think is very important is missing from so many kids today - creativity. they depend on technology to entertain them so very, very much these days, and their own creativity suffers in the process. it prevents them being good problem solvers, also, even for simple things. if a kid forgets to bring a pencil to class, so many of them have no idea what to do next. it's terrifying to watch this happen over and over again.

Agreed.  Their solution to problem solving too often involves getting on their phone and looking up an answer rather than actually trying to work through it on their own.  That doesn't cut it in the real world at work which is a complaint many older workers have of millennials. 

I always find it interesting how the older generations almost exclusively place blame on the younger generations for eroding skills, education, etc.  

Where did you read that?  Or is that your own observation?

Clearly the blame for the erosion of the educational system falls on the previous generation.

In fairness to millennials, I think the skills are missing because the opportunities no longer exist.  The lack of manufacturing jobs is only part of the problem. 

Gone are the days when cars were so unreliable that kids, because they had no cash, had to learn to fix cars on their own.  It was in these crisis situations that I developed a lot of my mechanical skills.

Nowadays, you can buy a Toyota or Honda and drive it 300,000 miles without ever breaking down.