• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

Seriously folks, say what you want about Josh Hamilton the baseball player.

But as a human being, some of the things being said in this thread are terrible. Where's the ****ing compassion for a person with a crippling addiction?

I take it very few people on here have had drug problems...

Edited by laagamer

I read it and I get it. It's the same kids that post bullshit and sports fan guy that values how their sports teams do more than life issues.

I don't mind asking questions or considering outcomes and options, but the knee jerk AW detectives and the judgement are pretty gross. Some of the stuff posted is pretty low and makes me feel ashamed to be associated as a member and fellow Angels fan.

I guess I am entitled to the same opinion as their or whatever you're defending.

we've both been around here long enough to know that righteous indignation is a waste of time and effort.  

If Shaikin is reporting that it's unlikely Hamilton is going to be treated as a first time offender, then Shaikin probably has some good sources to support that position.

I am sure Hamilton and his agent/ attorney are taking that 'first time offender' position with MLB and seeking MLBPA support for it -- but it sounds as if it's not going to be a successful argument for them.

sounds as if Shaikin's all over the story.........

Pretty pathetic thread reading.

Dude seems to have succumbed to a known addiction and some are more worried about how it affects payroll or what the lineup looks like.

Issue is bigger than baseball.

It's not his first rodeo. It's not the first time he's done this to his family and teammates. To think that he bitched about having to put poison in his body to play in the postseason.

Josh Hamilton needs to quit baseball and straighten out his personal life. The pressures of the game are too much for him to deal with.

So if I'm reading this right....

Josh Hamilton turned himself into the commissioner's office for a relapse.  He may not be penalized because four of his previous violations came before he was on a major league roster.  This would be either his second of third violation since being on an active roster, which indicates up to 80 games of suspension without pay, saving the Angels something crazy like 12 million dollars.

Or.....

He may not be punished at all because this falls under the commissioner's discretion.  He can choose to not punish Hamilton at all and in fact may even be leaning toward that because of the fact that he turned himself in. 

There's a lot of different directions this thing can go. 

I read it and I get it. It's the same kids that post bullshit and sports fan guy that values how their sports teams do more than life issues.

I don't mind asking questions or considering outcomes and options, but the knee jerk AW detectives and the judgement are pretty gross. Some of the stuff posted is pretty low and makes me feel ashamed to be associated as a member and fellow Angels fan.

I guess I am entitled to the same opinion as their or whatever you're defending.

Pretty much all you do is berate the main forum and its regulars for how they post, so why should they care about how you feel about being associated with them?

Edited by tdawg87

we've both been around here long enough to know that righteous indignation is a waste of time and effort.

Like I said, I get it and it's the expected posters.

As you mentioned, we've been around long enough and I know when threads slide in a certain direction or tone quite a few don't post because of the mass backlash. Just paving the way for others with differing opinions to interject since we have the gang mentality here.

I am in a hotel with shitty internet.  Can someone give me a TL;DR version of this thread?

Hamilton turned himself in for relapsing on coke and perhaps other drugs. Varying accounts on how long he'll be suspended, from a slap on the wrist to banned - probably somewhere in-between (80 game suspensions). Oh yeah, Brandon is offended.

I am in a hotel with shitty internet.  Can someone give me a TL;DR version of this thread?

We're hoping Josh gets suspended to free up salary. 

But because he came out and admitted it without failing a drug test, this might not be the case.

Then there's a side argument on the level of inappropriateness of people's posts regarding the matter.

So, TL;DR, biz as usual. 

Yeah, but you can't blame others for that.  Addicts look for excuses like that to fuel their addiction and it is nobodies fault but their own.  You can't cater to their every whim and shield your opinions just because you are afraid of them being too fragile and relapsing.  If an addict wants to relapse they will find any and all ways to rationalize it.  I come from a large family rampant with addiction.  Some of them truly have demons they are dealing with.  Many of them are just selfish and love the high.  And barring some deep dark secret, Josh falls in that last category.  Addiction is sad for the loved ones that are affected by it, but feeling bad for addicts themselves only fuels their addiction and typically is more enabling then anything.  It makes them feel justified in their addiction. Josh is a grown man who has had every opportunity given to him to beat his addiction.  I do not feel bad for him for one second.  Most people have to worry about paying the bills, paying for their next meal, not being able to find a decent job because of their drug history, etc and that adds to the stress and can trigger a relapse.  Josh has not had to deal with any of these.  He has had thousands of supporting fans through the years, a supportive family, a supportive team, millions of dollars, and still has his job (as of now) despite many drug-related incidents.  He has access to the best treatment facilities in the country and had a personal accountability partner for years.  That he still CHOOSES a momentary high over everything else he has going for him is pathetic and I don't feel bad for one second.  He has 4 kids.  He needs to grow up and deal with his problem, even if that means retiring.  

Edit: Put the wrong amount of kids before.

So since I'm arguing against one extreme, that must mean I'm in favor of the opposite extreme of being completely permissive? False dichotomy much?

I don't care how rich someone is, there's no amount of money that makes them not susceptible to the same weaknesses we all are. This is someone who has clearly put in an incredible effort to improve himself, if he hadn't, he would not have come as far as he has.  Has he been perfect in his efforts? No, but why does it seem the only options here are perfection or absolute failure? The good doesn't erase the bad, nor the bad the good. He's progressed and he's regressed, there's nothing written in stone here that says this has to be anything more than a set back in his quest of becoming the person he wants to be.  Setbacks, screw ups, are a part of life, we've all had them, and you're not going to get very far if you start looking at it as anything more than a setback.  You say addicts look for excuses, well what about the excuse of "I'm a terrible person, I can't do anything right, it doesn't matter what I do, I"ll just screw up anyway"?  You don't think that self-loathing mindset has been used by addicts to justify spinning out of control and self-destructing?

Hamilton turned himself in for relapsing on coke and perhaps other drugs. Varying accounts on how long he'll be suspended, from a slap on the wrist to banned - probably somewhere in-between (80 game suspensions). Oh yeah, Brandon is offended.

Thanks

It's not his first rodeo. It's not the first time he's done this to his family and teammates. To think that he bitched about having to put poison in his body to play in the postseason.

Josh Hamilton needs to quit baseball and straighten out his personal life. The pressures of the game are too much for him to deal with.

That's my point and the definition of addiction.

For better or worse I live with someone working on a doctorate in the field. My stance has changed dramatically about people like Josh and what they deal with. It's not as black and white as some here think it is or should be.

Not trying to be righteous, just very familiar with with that industry on about a daily basis and think it's a bit more important than baseball.

Although the boo birds that want him to fail or treat this as a baseball failure are pretty disappointing.

Like I said, I get it and it's the expected posters.

As you mentioned, we've been around long enough and I know when threads slide in a certain direction or tone quite a few don't post because of the mass backlash. Just paving the way for others with differing opinions to interject since we have the gang mentality here.

Did someone reference Bourjos? I must have missed it.

If the reports are true then I really don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his family having to deal with it. He had all the tools he needed to stay sober, and if that itch was so bad he should have stepped up before he took action and told the FO or his family that he was feeling a relapse coming. He could have gone to a treatment center before a relapse ever occurred and when a person has that much sobriety time pieced together they should know better. Wish him the best but he did it to himself.

Please.

Just because I shit on your constant me, me, me threads you start about topics already on the first page.

This site is generally a collective of dudes that care more about how the Angels do than other important aspects in life. I get it dude and am not offended. I don't expect anything less here.

Please.

Just because I shit on your constant me, me, me threads you start about topics already on the first page.

This site is generally a collective of dudes that care more about how the Angels do than other important aspects in life. I get it dude and am not offended. I don't expect anything less here.

???

I'm honestly confused. Please clarify what you mean by my "me, me, me threads."

Edited by Angelsjunky