• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, so heres the real question RE: Kendrick

floplag

Everyone here wants an arm...   thats a given

Now assuming we arent on on the big names, conflicting reports so well see.. but assuming that to be the case, the question become very simple

Would you rather have Kendrick, or a good middle of the rotation starter?

Edited by floplag

thats the thing... right now, clearly, he can.
there is a market, there are teams with needs... we have a position of strength and an opportunity to for once sell high.
dont get me wrong i dont trade him for a back end guy or for depth but if we can actually get a quality arm. i think its something we have to look at at

It makes sense to me that any team who wants a player in his contract year plans to compete now and therefore isn't likely to give up a 200 inning arm for him. It would almost have to be part of a multi-player or multi-team trade for that to happen in which case we'd have to see what else is involved.

thats the thing... right now, clearly, he can.

there is a market, there are teams with needs... we have a position of strength and an opportunity to for once sell high.

dont get me wrong i dont trade him for a back end guy or for depth but if we can actually get a quality arm. i think its something we have to look at at

Flop I'm finishing up an Angels 2015 Primer article for AW.com soon and in there I explain why I believe we have pitching depth that runs at least 10 deep to start the season and would expand to 12 deep by mid-season.

I actually don't think that we NEED to have one more starter. Would it be helpful? Sure especially if it is an established starter even if it is on a 1-year deal (think Zimmermann for instance).

So yes I believe that Howie has good value now and that value is maximized during this offseason. There are suitors but I am worried that there are at least two Cuban's that will be available before the 2015 season starts and that is helping to saturate the 2B pool (Olivera and Fernandez). The more the pool is saturated the less that Howie might pull down.

Kendrick is worth a top prospect in trade. He is worth a regular MLB position player or starter who has similar service time and money on their contract.

The drop off in production from Kendrick to most replacements is a lot. However if you can pick up additional production in the trade it can mitigate, replace, or even exceed what is lost.

So to recap Kendrick's value is high, there are some suitors but I'm not sure how many would want a 1-year rental (Jays, Nationals, Mets, Orioles, maybe). By acquiring Tropeano Dipoto can be picky.

Ettin, 10-12 deep? Let's see if I can guess:

Richards

Weaver

Shoemaker

Wilson

Santiago

Tropeano

Rasmus?

Ramos?

Alvarez?

LeBlanc?

That's ten, and I'm not so happy considering the last four actually as "depth." So I'd say the Angels have six major league ready starters, with one of those (Richards) likely to be unable to start Opening Day.

That said, I'd rather see the Angels offer a one-year contract or two to risk pitchers like Brett Anderson, Josh Johnson, or preferably, Justin Masterson - or sign a middle rotation starter like Brandon McCarthy. Another interesting option would be Jake Peavy. In other words, I'm not sure they have to trade Howie to buff up the rotation.

It depends on  the health of Richards.  If you are planning on going to war with Weaver, Shoe, Tropeano, Wilson, Santiago, and potentially Rasmus or Ramos, you are putting the 2015 season in jeopardy if Richards isn't going to be back for a couple of months.  If it looks like Richards will be back in short order from the start of the season, then bringing the gap for a month with the above crew is a bit more palatable.  

It's a tough call really with several nuances that could make it even more palatable.  Like the salary relief that allows you to do something somewhere else.  Or the fact that you could obtain a pitcher who could contribute this year but also has upside and club control.  

I would err on the side of keeping him as you could still get a pretty decent return at the deadline if the team is out of it.  

Ettin, 10-12 deep? Let's see if I can guess:

Richards

Weaver

Shoemaker

Wilson

Santiago

Tropeano

Rasmus?

Ramos?

Alvarez?

LeBlanc?

That's ten, and I'm not so happy considering the last four actually as "depth." So I'd say the Angels have six major league ready starters, with one of those (Richards) likely to be unable to start Opening Day.

That said, I'd rather see the Angels offer a one-year contract or two to risk pitchers like Brett Anderson, Josh Johnson, or preferably, Justin Masterson - or sign a middle rotation starter like Brandon McCarthy. Another interesting option would be Jake Peavy. In other words, I'm not sure they have to trade Howie to buff up the rotation.

I'll leave it for the article AJ but yes most of the names you just listed are ones that I discuss. With Alvarez you can make an argument that he may not be ready for primetime once the season starts but for LeBlanc I give reasons why he is a serviceable starter. So 9-10 starters to begin the season and 12 by mid-season. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to when it comes out and you can debate it with me then! :) Not everyone will agree with my thoughts and premises but the more I look at what Dipoto has done the more I feel comfortable with where the Angels are at.

Actually we could get more for Green than Howie if they are close to equal, based on salary and years of control.

If you assume that Green is a utility player he and Kendrick have about equal value this offseason. If you think Grant is more than that (regular position player) then he will have about double Kendrick's value right now. Angels see him as a super utility type, other teams might think differently.

If you assume that Green is a utility player he and Kendrick have about equal value this offseason. If you think Grant is more than that (regular position player) then he will have about double Kendrick's value right now. Angels see him as a super utility type, other teams might think differently.

I think that is the point, nobody is even asking about Green.  Given his contract and years, if he was any kind of decent replacement for Kendrick you would think teams would be falling all over themselves trying to make a deal.  Or that the Angels would be happy to hand over Kendrick for just about anything.

I'll leave it for the article AJ but yes most of the names you just listed are ones that I discuss. With Alvarez you can make an argument that he may not be ready for primetime once the season starts but for LeBlanc I give reasons why he is a serviceable starter. So 9-10 starters to begin the season and 12 by mid-season. I'll leave the rest of the discussion to when it comes out and you can debate it with me then! :) Not everyone will agree with my thoughts and premises but the more I look at what Dipoto has done the more I feel comfortable with where the Angels are at.

Two more by mid-season...hmm. The players that come to mind are Nate Smith, Michael Roth, and maybe Drew Rucinski. Maybe Elliot Morris, Tyler DeLoach and Kyle McGowin, but I don't think any of them will be ready for primetime in 2015.

Keep Kendrick, offer him the qualifying and look forward to either one more season or a draft pick.

Jeff Fletcher speculated that if the Angels did that, Kendrick might not reject the qualifying offer and the Angels wouldn't want to pay him 15 million (even if its just for one year). Fletcher thinks because of that, the Angels wouldn't make him a qualifying offer.

I think that is the point, nobody is even asking about Green.  Given his contract and years, if he was any kind of decent replacement for Kendrick you would think teams would be falling all over themselves trying to make a deal.  Or that the Angels would be happy to hand over Kendrick for just about anything.

Agreed. I believe the Angels will use Green in a super-utility role and I think other teams know that. They probably see the Angels commitment to not play him regularly and draw the conclusion, along with their own scouting reports, that he is not necessarily someone they want to pursue.

I think Green will be a good utility player and he definitely has offensive skills. For the Angels he'll likely never be a permanent position player. Other smaller market teams might do that however.