• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, so heres the real question RE: Kendrick

floplag

Quality depth is critical during the year so the team doesn't get Jeff Mathis-esque "production" from a starter for an extended period of time.

A deep lineup is critical for the postseason. Elite pitching matters.

While trading Kendrick may help during the regular season it could result in an inferior postseason roster.

Ettin, 10-12 deep? Let's see if I can guess:

Richards

Weaver

Shoemaker

Wilson

Santiago

Tropeano

Rasmus?

Ramos?

Alvarez?

LeBlanc?

That's ten, and I'm not so happy considering the last four actually as "depth." So I'd say the Angels have six major league ready starters, with one of those (Richards) likely to be unable to start Opening Day.

That said, I'd rather see the Angels offer a one-year contract or two to risk pitchers like Brett Anderson, Josh Johnson, or preferably, Justin Masterson - or sign a middle rotation starter like Brandon McCarthy. Another interesting option would be Jake Peavy. In other words, I'm not sure they have to trade Howie to buff up the rotation.

I am sorry but I am not that optimistic over Tropeano for the simple reason is that I can't believe we could get a quality starter for Conger.  Richards should not be counted on until he is healthy.

Rasmus is a possiblity as is LeBlanc and maybe Alvarez.

Green is a sleeper. The reason he doesn't have much value is because he hasn't had much of a chance to show his worth. I think he has a pretty good idea of hitting. His defense is meh, but it's 2B, not too worried about it.

In the only regular playing time he had last year, which was the month of May when he started 16 games, he hit for an .850 OPS the other months he started no more than 3 games. 

Two more by mid-season...hmm. The players that come to mind are Nate Smith, Michael Roth, and maybe Drew Rucinski. Maybe Elliot Morris, Tyler DeLoach and Kyle McGowin, but I don't think any of them will be ready for primetime in 2015.

Morris is a Padre.  But I do think that all those guys could contribute.  Newcomb might surprise as well.  

I am sorry but I am not that optimistic over Tropeano for the simple reason is that I can't believe we could get a quality starter for Conger.  Richards should not be counted on until he is healthy.

Rasmus is a possiblity as is LeBlanc and maybe Alvarez.

Astros are quite high on Conger it seems. Signs are pointing to him being their starting catcher next season, despite being a catching rich organization.

Morris is a Padre.  But I do think that all those guys could contribute.  Newcomb might surprise as well.  

That list is why I feel as confident in the Angels ability to field a good rotation.  It's the cool thing to bag on the Angels depth but they have a collection prospects that are a lot better than most people realize.  A lot of "Kole Calhoun" type of pitching prospects in the system, and by that I mean there are quite a few guys that are actually really good but we're the only ones that know it because we're the only ones that are watching them. 

For starters, Tyler DeLoach, Nate Smith and Kyle McGowin are all future major leaguers.  It's hard to say what they'll be but it's clear they're doing a great job limiting minor leaguers.  Then they have the token collection of lottery tickets in Alfonso Alcantara and Austin Wood.  Both have upper-90's to triple digit heat, both have good breaking balls, both have the stamina to be starters, both struggle with command.  I mean at the very worst you have a couple of intriguing bullpen arms a la Jairo Diaz in there. 

And then finally there's Ricardo Sanchez and Sean Newcomb.  There's no reason why both these guys should be over-looked because they're both going to be REALLY good. 

That list is why I feel as confident in the Angels ability to field a good rotation. It's the cool thing to bag on the Angels depth but they have a collection prospects that are a lot better than most people realize. A lot of "Kole Calhoun" type of pitching prospects in the system, and by that I mean there are quite a few guys that are actually really good but we're the only ones that know it because we're the only ones that are watching them.

For starters, Tyler DeLoach, Nate Smith and Kyle McGowin are all future major leaguers. It's hard to say what they'll be but it's clear they're doing a great job limiting minor leaguers. Then they have the token collection of lottery tickets in Alfonso Alcantara and Austin Wood. Both have upper-90's to triple digit heat, both have good breaking balls, both have the stamina to be starters, both struggle with command. I mean at the very worst you have a couple of intriguing bullpen arms a la Jairo Diaz in there.

And then finally there's Ricardo Sanchez and Sean Newcomb. There's no reason why both these guys should be over-looked because they're both going to be REALLY good.

Deloach seems like a legit prospect. Gives up very few hits/homeruns and strikes out a lot of guys. Just needs to improve his walk rate.

Jeff Fletcher speculated that if the Angels did that, Kendrick might not reject the qualifying offer and the Angels wouldn't want to pay him 15 million (even if its just for one year). Fletcher thinks because of that, the Angels wouldn't make him a qualifying offer.

I absolutely believe he'd accept a QO.

Astros are quite high on Conger it seems. Signs are pointing to him being their starting catcher next season, despite being a catching rich organization.

So will Conger be the new Napoli?  A Catcher who was under appreciated by the Angels front office?

Or are the Astros that inept?