• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Hank Conger to Astros for C Carlos Perez and RHP Nick Tropeano

Why is it we always think we won the trade? Oh well, I will miss Conger but I think will see a lot of him this coming season.

Because the mere thought of having Astros trolls (or generally the other team's trolls) show up here and expose how bad a trade this happens to be is something that is too repugnant to contemplate.

He'll be the next Napoli and hit .400/.500/.650 against us 18x a year.

This.  And when he starts hot next year everybody here will bitch and moan about how we gave up on a local and homegrown talent.  It will be Scioscia's fault.  

Then Hank will finish with a line very similar to the one he had this year.

What could they possibly see in Hank to give up 2 good players.  No way either of the two pickups turn out to be anything more than busts.

Maybe they are going to sign a Korean pitcher, and they are too cheap to afford someone to separately translate?

Very solid trade for the Angels. 

Tropeano can be a back end starter for 6 years of cheap control. Worst case is he becomes a swingman/solid reliever. Possesses a very good changeup, good sinking fastball in the low 90's and throws lots of strikes. 

Perez has defense 1st backup catcher written all over him. The nice thing, however, is he has shown some offensive abilities at times in the minors. A not terrible back up hitting catcher with defensive abilities would be fine. 

I like Conger and think he still has time to develop into a 2-3 WAR catcher but his offense took a huge step back in a year where he should've been seeing progress. His pitch framing skills are still elite but he doesn't throw out runners at a great rate. 

Houston seems to like the potential of Conger. I'll gladly take Tropeano and Perez. 

CJ's ERA was actually about one run worse with Conger compared to Iannetta this year. Most noteworthy difference is with Iannetta he was 9-1 in SB-CS, With Conger he was 3-6. 

Biggest difference in terms of cERA was Garrett Ricahrds, who had a 3.5 ERA with Iannetta and a 1.25 ERA with Conger. Conger is much better at blocking which is important when catching a hard throwing pitcher with a lot of movement. Iannetta tended to allow passed balls left and right.

Every Angel pitcher did a lot better with Conger behind the dish considering their K/BB ratio, which is probably the stat most affected by pitch framing.

These numbers are pretty damn alarming. I'm surprised myself.

Santiago

w/Conger 2.69 K/BB

w/CI 1.41 K/BB

Weaver

w/Conger 2.96 K/BB

w/CI 2.32 K/BB

Shoemaker

w/Conger 6.20

w/CI 4.19

CJ

w/Conger 2.13

w/CI 1.57

Richards

w/Conger 5.91

w/CI 2.48

Skaggs

w/Conger 3.38

w/CI 2.68

Jerry Dipoto said competition for #Angels backup C is now Carlos Perez, Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams.

I know I don't follow the minors as closely as some of you, but who the flip are Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams?

Jett Bandy was drafted a few years back. Will most likely start the year in AAA. Pretty average offensive numbers, solid defensively. Nothing special but could be worth a look.

Williams was just picked up recently from Colorado and pretty much sucks at hitting. Don't know much about his defense.

Jerry Dipoto said competition for #Angels backup C is now Carlos Perez, Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams.

I know I don't follow the minors as closely as some of you, but who the flip are Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams?

No idea... but you have to love the name Jett Bandy.