• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Hank Conger to Astros for C Carlos Perez and RHP Nick Tropeano

Not with Castro on the roster.

There is some speculation that the Astros are planning on trading Castro for a busload of Rondons to keep their perpetual team rebuild going.

Edited by ScottLux

So the rotation depth is Weav, Wilson, Richards, Shoe, Santiago, Tropaeno and Rasmus. Nice. 

problem is all of them will now appear to pitch worse due to being backed up up with shockingly bad pitch framing and blocking unless Dipoto is somehow able to acquire a good defensive catcher :(

Edited by ScottLux

Jerry Dipoto said competition for #Angels backup C is now Carlos Perez, Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams.

I know I don't follow the minors as closely as some of you, but who the flip are Jett Bandy and Jackson Williams?

If we have a player named Jett Bandy that actually plays well.....awesome!

I wouldnt mind bringing in Martin if the price is right. Any word on what kind of contract he is looking to get? I imagine its more than the Angels want to spend. Plus I can't see him be ok splitting time with Iannetta. I figure this trade means the team plans on going with Iannetta as the starter and whatever minor league depth or vet on a minors deal they bring as the backup.

I'm wouldn't go as far as calling Conger a bust. Depends on what you projected him to be. Any catcher on a MS team is skilled behind the plate. If he can become a .250 plus hitter with some pop he'll do just fine. Yung kid with plenty of upside :P

he was a bust here.

and that young kid will be 27 in a couple of months 

This trade was not only surprising for me but was deeply disturbing. I had seriously considered bringing back my Lil' B-Ballin' Baby Hank Conger photo (due to popular demand) and now I'm simply lost....

On a more serious note, Nick Tropeano is a good acquisition by Dipoto. He has an excellent K%-BB% rate in his Minor League career along with a plus-plus changeup which is exactly the type of pitcher that Jerry has been accumulating over the last couple of years.

Clearly the Astros are focused on pitch framing for their catching corps (Stassi is another great pitch framer) and getting a MLB ready starter with long-term team control along with a backup catcher who may be more than meets the eye himself is really a good get.

I love Hank Conger and will really miss him. I think he will do well for the Astros, especially after they extend him and keep him long-term but flipping him at this point for what we got is a good tactical move for the 2015 season and beyond.

Now I have to go back and rewrite my Angels 2015 article AGAIN.

Why is it we always think we won the trade? Oh well, I will miss Conger but I think will see a lot of him this coming season.

Astros fans think we won the trade, too. From astro's board: 

"Alex, I'll take "Who the #### is Hank Conger?" for $1,000.

What kind of dumb### move is this? To trade a promising young pitcher for a backup catcher?!? Uh, what happened to Max Stassi?!?

Oh man, this is just flat out dumb "

not one fan has posted saying they like the trade :

http://www.forums.mlb.com/discussions/Houston_Astros/General/Astros_Trade_for_Hank_Conger/ml-astros/88676.1?nav=messages&mobile=y

​

personal feelings about Conger aside, I don't know how anyone could not like this trade for the Angels. They gave up an easily replaceable back-up catcher and got back a young, cost-controlled SP with good minor league numbers AND another back-up catcher candidate. 

This

Not that I don't think the Angels got the better end of this deal, but there are some things to consider in Hanks favor that I'm sure the Astros were looking at.

Obviously his pitch framing has been considered elite, and quite valuable if you believe in that sort of thing.

Angels stadium strongly suppresses offense from left handed hitters.

Hank lost playing time to Iannetta's career year. Houston might think he does better with more reps at the plate.