• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Hank Conger to Astros for C Carlos Perez and RHP Nick Tropeano

Tropeano was pretty decent in his cup of coffee this year. Definitely a solid pickup and should jump over LeBlanc on the depth chart. Still need another starter though.

Perez seems like a throw in. Obviously Houston feels that Conger is better and they are probably right. For what it's worth he has thrown out 36% of baserunners in the minors.

Clubhouse loses probably the most lively guy in it. Conger was probably the coolest dude to hang out with on that team. Seemed like a funny guy who was always having fun. I'll miss his antics, but baseball move wise, I like the deal

He's not much of an upgrade defensively over Iannetta. He's a good pitch framer but that's about it. With Iannetta providing the team with above league average offense at the catcher spot, they need a defensive minded backup to balance things out. No clue if this Perez guy they got will be their backup this season or not, but if he is, I hope his calling card is his work behind the plate

Conger's pitch framing wasn't enough to help C.J.

CJ's ERA was actually about one run worse with Conger compared to Iannetta this year. Most noteworthy difference is with Iannetta he was 9-1 in SB-CS, With Conger he was 3-6. 

Biggest difference in terms of cERA was Garrett Ricahrds, who had a 3.5 ERA with Iannetta and a 1.25 ERA with Conger. Conger is much better at blocking which is important when catching a hard throwing pitcher with a lot of movement. Iannetta tended to allow passed balls left and right.

Not a bad deal, kind of a weird move for the Astros though.  They have a lot of catching depth in their system and they moved a cost-controlled back end starter for a backup catcher.... yeah.

Maybe they're higher on Hank coming around than we are. 

yeah I really don't get this from the Astros' perspective.

I think we probably won this, but it seems the Astros are taking a gamble on Conger's offensive upside coming through. That seems unlikely, since it never consistently has over several years now. Either that or they really like his pitch framing.

I like the strength in numbers option with the starting rotation though. Assuming Richards comes back healthy by opening day (or even if he's a few weeks late), by that point we'll have Weaver, Shoemaker, Wilson, Santiago, Tropeano and Rasmus to fill four rotation spots even if we don't sign anyone else, which we should. I'd be fairly confident we could fill the rotation to a reasonable standard with those guys, but I still think we should be looking for a third or fourth starter type on a short-term deal.