• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon To Cubs

Spirit

Am I the only one who's tired of the Maddon love fest? Why isn't anyone talking about JB Shuck to the White Sox? The dang Cubs grab all the headlines.

I mean how is Maddon to the Cubs bigger news than the fact that it's National Sandwich day?

The truth is Maddon took the Cubs job so that he could see Scioscia, Roenicke and Black in the Cactus League. Nothing more.

And let's face it - if Maddon was really cool... he'd be wearing Google glass instead of those things he has on now.

In all this news about Maddon did anyone stop to wish Paul Quantrill a happy birthday? Did they?

You forgot that the Dodgers re-signed Barry Enright.

The best way to get a super manager rep is to climb in on the bottom floor when there's only one way to go.

I see your point.  Scioscia did replace a guy that left in tears when his team was 31 games under .500.  

If you don't count that interim manager that went 19-10.  Whatever happened to him?

I see your point.  Scioscia did replace a guy that left in tears when his team was 31 games under .500.  

If you don't count that interim manager that went 19-10.  Whatever happened to him?

He just got a big fat raise for having a losing season in a weak division. If he and Beane ever managed to team up there would be no stopping the praise they'd get for never winning a championship.

Joe Maddon is everything we need in a leader. Smart baseball guy but brings a great Q score with him too. Works well with press, fans, and community. When was the last manager the Angels had a manager who was a "players manager?" Maybe Sosh is? I can't think of one. Fregosi.

Buck Rogers.

This is a great move by Theo!  Might just turn the Cubbies around faster than everybody thinks (as in, our lifetime).  Joe is a great guy, and seemed to get the most out of his Rays when he was there.  It's gotta be fun to be a Cub again, before they can start winning.

It will be a very interesting season for them, tho they're still missing pieces.

Every slump there is the few numbnutz that say it's because Sosh isn't hard on the players, he isn't throwing water coolers, and he is not motivating them.

The biggest problem is Scioscia needs to have  quicker hook when it comes to slumping players during the playoffs. Letting Josh Hamilton get soem playing time in after a long absence to see if he can get back might be tolerable in the regular season (so long as it doesn't directly threaten aplayoff berth) but bringign back a veteran to rebuild his confidnece in the middle of a 5 game playoff series when there are better options available in the form of young players is a problem.

The biggest problem is Scioscia needs to have  quicker hook when it comes to slumping players during the playoffs. Letting Josh Hamilton get soem playing time in after a long absence to see if he can get back might be tolerable in the regular season (so long as it doesn't directly threaten aplayoff berth) but bringign back a veteran to rebuild his confidnece in the middle of a 5 game playoff series when there are better options available in the form of young players is a problem.

I don't necessarily disagree, but you're using one example with a small sample size that doesn't really make sense.

First, there wasn't a better option and if the replacement sucked this place would be up in arms about why a potential prolific bat like Hamilton's was left on the bench. Secondly, it was three games...unfortunately....and everyone with a bat outside of Calhoun sucked.

If this was a consistent problem I could see your point, but still hanging on to this well after the WS as a point of switching out the manager seems petty and trivial.

I actually don't really value managers. They don't call plays or are really active outside of filling out a lineup card and in game adjustments like a pitching change.....which is generally standard at various points of a game. The only thing I think the Cubs gain here is a guy that other players or stars would want to play for which makes Chicago a viable destination for FA's. I don't think Maddon has better X's and O's or a better skill set than the next guy.