• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon To Cubs

Spirit

So them telling he was going to be back and then breaking that promise is no problem?

I must be from another time.

I wouldn't call it a beacon of light, no.  But my response was in reference to this being compared to a marriage.  

My point is that it's not a commitment between two people.  The cubs are a business and management had to make a decision about whether a unique opportunity to bring someone in that you didn't know would be available was something they should consider.  

To me, there is a fair amount of gray here.  Not the Cubs most shining hour, but not an egregious thing to do.  

No problem with this, it happens in the real world all the time, but when someone is let go they don't get to keep getting paid.

I actually give the Cubs props. Sports is cut throat and most of the time the dude doesn't see it coming. I'm more surprised to see an organization open about what's going on than the alternative.

It sucks that he's out of a job but I think people are over reacting here a bit. He has a guaranteed contract so he will still be paid. I wonder if on football forums if people get upset when players are cut for better players, and that player now is out of a job and no longer has a contract.

i have no problem with what the cubs did and i believe in business ethics. i believe they handled it professionally and treated renteria fairly, although it was a bad break for him personally. renteria is a guy trying to prove himself as a manager and maddon has already made his bones. "it's nothing personal michael, it's just business."

It sucks that he's out of a job but I think people are over reacting here a bit. He has a guaranteed contract so he will still be paid. I wonder if on football forums if people get upset when players are cut for better players, and that player now is out of a job and no longer has a contract.

Good lord, why is disagreeing with how it was handled over reacting?  Why the hyperbole?

i have no ill will for Joe Madden, in fact now that he's with an NL team I wish him good luck.  That being said, I always find it amazing how people place so much weight in results based on managers. Despite word on the street, Joe Madden is not some baseball wizard that will make the Cubs stop being the Cubs.  The Cubs still posses a bunch of prospects and thats it (no pitching).  As we all know, prospects are notoriously prone to big league failure.  Madden is obviously a good baseball guy but he's not like some final puzzle piece.  The team has a lot to prove.  Oh and it is shitty how it went down for Renteria.

Edited by UndertheHalo

The opt-out clause, Maddon said, was something of a fine-print treasure revealed to him in a call from Matt Silverman, the Rays’ president of baseball operations, just after Friedman left.

“I had totally forgotten about it,” Maddon said. “Andrew leaves, and I get a phone call that I have an opt-out clause."

Now why would Silverman, who claims they were in contract extension negotiations, call Maddon to inform him he has the right to opt out? There doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for Silverman to bring up a subject that would impede an extension being signed. Sounds like the Rays were playing a game here with Maddon about wanting him and yet showing him the quickest way to the emergency exit. Maddon was Friedman's guy, not Silverman so there is the possibility the contract extension was in the works under Friedman and when he left Silverman saw a chance to make a change and save face at the same time.

Edited by notti

Just like Arte, you do something with alcohol and you just became a saint to the fan base.

triple ticket prices but simutlaneously lowering beer prices 25% is a recipe to make any owner a hero to the alcoholic subset of the fanbase :)

Am I the only one who's tired of the Maddon love fest? Why isn't anyone talking about JB Shuck to the White Sox? The dang Cubs grab all the headlines.

I mean how is Maddon to the Cubs bigger news than the fact that it's National Sandwich day?

The truth is Maddon took the Cubs job so that he could see Scioscia, Roenicke and Black in the Cactus League. Nothing more.

And let's face it - if Maddon was really cool... he'd be wearing Google glass instead of those things he has on now.

In all this news about Maddon did anyone stop to wish Paul Quantrill a happy birthday? Did they?

Edited by True Grich