• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon To Cubs

Spirit

Yeah, this strikes me as a bit unprofessional all around.

There are plenty of free agents out there for the Angels to choose from and each would replace someone already on the roster. Management is no different, you jump on the best guy available if you can afford him.

It's one thing to interview for an open position... it's another to interview for one that's still occupied. 

I agree...there had been zero talk of Renteria losing his job. Kind of bush league if Maddon and co. reached out to the Cubs...hell, even if the Cubs reach out first. Almost makes you wonder if there was talk between Maddon's people and the Cubs prior to him opting out of his Rays deal. Maybe more information comes out later, but it certainly smells a little off.

If the Angels had fired Scioscia out of the blue and then hired Maddon, would you still be calling foul?

That is the point though.  One, they haven't even fired Renteria yet.  Two, Maddon clearly opted out for that specific job.  Its shady and it would be shady regardless of whatever team he went to.

That is the point though.  One, they haven't even fired Renteria yet.  Two, Maddon clearly opted out for that specific job.  Its shady and it would be shady regardless of whatever team he went to.

It seems like you guys are making a big deal over nothing.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2014/10/31/7137521/joe-maddon-cubs-rick-renteria

Sounds like more "unwritten rules" nonsense. All that matters is if the Cubs got better. Anytime you see the phrases "fraternity" or "lifer" you're probably dealing with some backwards ideas.

Also, where is the idea that Maddon was gunning for this job coming from?

There are plenty of free agents out there for the Angels to choose from and each would replace someone already on the roster. Management is no different, you jump on the best guy available if you can afford him.

Sounds like more "unwritten rules" nonsense. All that matters is if the Cubs got better. Anytime you see the phrases "fraternity" or "lifer" you're probably dealing with some backwards ideas.

Also, where is the idea that Maddon was gunning for this job coming from?

I agree this is nothing more than a free agent signing and to say otherwise is following some unwritten code that has no basis in reality. The only important question is are the Cubs better today with Maddon than they were last week with Renteria? That's a pretty easy question to answer. 

So.. common courtesy and professionalism are now unwritten rules?  Renteria is left dangling in the wind right now... and that's okay as long as it makes the Cubs better?

In a word, yes. The only function of a MLB team is win as many games as possible. I don't believe there is any disagreement that Maddon is a better manager than Renteria so the Cubs had to make the move even if it meant not demonstrating "common courtsey."

In a word, yes. The only function of a MLB team is win as many games as possible. I don't believe there is any disagreement that Maddon is a better manager than Renteria so the Cubs had to make the move even if it meant not demonstrating "common courtsey."

I LOL'd at "common courtsey".

Take a bow.

This sucks for Renteria because he is twisting in the wind, but it's great for the Cubs. I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that the Cubs are better today than they were yesterday. Was it wrong for it to be done this way? Probably.